Struggling with Motivation

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
I've been here awhile.
My activity has gone in waves.
I was really active working out everyday for years, then had some personal issues.
I started drinking heavily. It was really bad about a year ago. Last year (nye) I quit drinking. I had no support at home with it though. My wife actually started drinking more. I started to refocus on the gym.
Then covid hit. The gyms have been hit or miss as far as opening. I fell off the wagon last may.
Mid August I quit again, this time my wife also quit. I'm starting to get back at it.
I don't like to run my mouth to personal friends and family about these things, so I'm doing it here. I may not do much here besides "welcome !!!" A lot of people. But know I check in often. There is a lot of knowledge on this board, and I thank everyone for sharing their info, and opinions.
If you're new and reading this, ask questions. You'll probably get ribbed, but you'll also get good info. Thanks everyone!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You’re on a lot but don’t participate as much as maybe you should.

You’ve got a great group here at that will support you. Give us the chance.

Thanks for posting and let’s make 2021 the best year yet.

Last edited:

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great job of realizing that it was a problem and doing something about it. Remember that we are not perfect and occasionally we will fail and make fools of ourselves. Get up, dust yourself off and own that shit. You can't change the past but what you can do is shape your future.

Sickman

Paragon
Reaction score
I'm a former 8 year heroin addict and alcoholic who is now in recovery. I've been exactly where you're at before. I would get my shit together for a while and start lifting for a few months, and get in shape, but then I'd relapse and stop lifting and lose everything again. After this last time I got clean, I truly dedicated myself to the gym as a part of my recovery. I started exercising in rehab, and haven't stopped since. Now I am the stronger than I have ever dreamed was possible. Not even just physically, but mentally, and that's what matters most.

It's good you recognize your issue and are dealing with it. Just take it one day at a time.

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks Jin I appreciate that! I'm going to try harder to be more active!

Reactions: Jin

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
Great job of realizing that it was a problem and doing something about it. Remember that we are not perfect and occasionally we will fail and make fools of ourselves. Get up, dust yourself off and own that shit. You can't change the past but what you can do is shape your future.

Thank you!

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
I'm a former 8 year heroin addict and alcoholic who is now in recovery. I've been exactly where you're at before. I would get my shit together for a while and start lifting for a few months, and get in shape, but then I'd relapse and stop lifting and lose everything again. After this last time I got clean, I truly dedicated myself to the gym as a part of my recovery. I started exercising in rehab, and haven't stopped since. Now I am the stronger than I have ever dreamed was possible. Not even just physically, but mentally, and that's what matters most.

It's good you recognize your issue and are dealing with it. Just take it one day at a time.

Thank you, and good luck with your continuing recovery!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hang in there Nightster. Better days are ahead because you are not a quitter.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score

Working out once you get into it is a great addiction to substitute for another bad addiction. Even when I occasionally drink now I do not have the urge to do blow anymore which was impossible for me due to the fact I know I will lose a few days at the gym not eat enough for a few days and that makes me not wanna do it.

I also had my battles with a few different drugs from the age of 15 anyone with an addictive personality in my opinion needs to replace the addiction with another addiction it just makes it easier.

ComeBacKid85

Reaction score
It’s still blows me away. How some of the ruffest, and tuffest guys I’ve ever know. Could have such giant hearts. I look up to all you brothers in so many ways. We are The Storm Nightster!!! 2021 Is Going To Be Awesome!!!:32 (3):

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I can relate to wht your going thru!
Its not an easy task to conquer, but WE are capable!
Took me a minute to get my priorities in order and make the decision to turn my life around and when you get to tht point you'll be grateful and life will change for the better!!
Happy new year and may 2021 be your year to be back where you were meant to be!
Stay strong!!!

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
I found that this place is giving me huge motivation because knowing that I come here and log everything I do makes myself accountable for what I’m doing. I don’t know why that helps but for me it does.
before I was just mindlessly plugging reps on random machines and lifts not logging anything and never making any improvement.
it takes a lot more time but what’s the point in doing it if you aren’t improving somehow.
I think everyone lost motivation when the gyms are constantly opening and closing. It really ruins consistency.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This has truly been a tough year. Seems like everyone has had their struggles not to mention the effects of covid. The one thing that has helped me to get motivated in the gym is this site. I love reading everyone’s story’s and journals. There aren’t any people in my circle who take training as serious as I do so being here helps tremendously.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Great post brother. There are a lot
of us in recovery here and all of
us have struggled with our demons, in whatever form life throws them at us. I struggle with motivation from time to time, but this group helps remind me why I lift and keeps me motivated and focused. I always feel better when I'm lifting.

Feelings only change in response to actions; don't sit around waiting for motivation, get up and go get some at the gym!

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
Yeah definitely feeling the lack of motivation too

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's the same for me too ! I dont have a single friend who does ANYTHING gym related.

Need places like this to share my biggest passion with cyber buds !!

And here I thought we were all friends in this place!

I know what you mean though. It used to be just me and I fell off the gym wagon. Now the wife is heavy into it and it makes it so much better. Where I used to give her suggestions and she would bitch and moan about it now she actively seeks my criticism and advice, a lot of which I get from here.

Reaction score
I've been here awhile.
My activity has gone in waves.
I was really active working out everyday for years, then had some personal issues.
I started drinking heavily. It was really bad about a year ago. Last year (nye) I quit drinking. I had no support at home with it though. My wife actually started drinking more. I started to refocus on the gym.
Then covid hit. The gyms have been hit or miss as far as opening. I fell off the wagon last may.
Mid August I quit again, this time my wife also quit. I'm starting to get back at it.
I don't like to run my mouth to personal friends and family about these things, so I'm doing it here. I may not do much here besides "welcome !!!" A lot of people. But know I check in often. There is a lot of knowledge on this board, and I thank everyone for sharing their info, and opinions.
If you're new and reading this, ask questions. You'll probably get ribbed, but you'll also get good info. Thanks everyone!

My dude, I can attest, the only time we really get ripped is when (like me) you ask questions that have already been answered. Because I’m lazy and I’ll post a question rather than using this innovative little tool called the search bar.. lol.
motivation? I’m speaking this to myself too, so it’s going to be brash.
GTFO of the house and train! Get off your ass and do it! It’s not just for you, while it needs to be primarily, it’s for your wife! Your own well being, your good! Training is therapeutic. Everyone here will tell you, it’s our escape! Into our own little world where we shape, mold and sculpt our bodies. Moreover, our MINDS. Training can make you and training can break you. The difference between us and the rest of the world, is that when we get knocked down, we get back up. We learn from it, we grow, we develop. I could give you a million more little motivational cliches but in all reality, ITS YOU! Do not let your laziness rule you. This is my problem and I have to die to myself every day to GTFU and go train! I commend you for being able to put down the bottle. I’m a drug addict... well, truthfully, I’m an ANYTHING I CAM GET MY DIRTY LITTLE HANDS ON addict... which tells me, you have the power in and of yourself to motivate you. You got this my dude. Now go get it in. Add me as a friend and we’ll talk about our daily routines and what exercises we’ve done. We’ll hold each other accountable. Let’s do this.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
That's the same for me too ! I dont have a single friend who does ANYTHING gym related.

Need places like this to share my biggest passion with cyber buds !!

I am 100% in the same boat. Ultimately, it's okay, because I do this for me, but still it would be cool to have a like-minded friend or two IRL.