Training, but on a boat

Reaction score
Alright so I'm looking for some advice on training while on a rocking boat. Been working oilfield for 13 years and always on a rocking vessel. The vessel that I'm on currently has one of the best offshore gyms. Have a smith machine with a non-adjustable high or low pulley and some dumbbells. Both fixed and adjustable (shares the weights for the smith machine). Looks like I'll be on rotation here until I can free myself from this lifestyle. I have injured myself offshore, so I keep the weights low, especially squatting. Having a smith machine available is a freaking godsend! Never thought I would say that.

I have just moved to a different push/pull routine from a PPL split. Currently doing push upper/pull lower and pull upper/push lower split. Loving the change of frequency so far and I hit abs everyday. I alternate my focus as well. For instance on the first push upper day I focus on OHP with some flat bench. The next push upper day I focus on flat with some incline. My upper pecs are lacking, but I'm getting off topic now.

What I'm looking for are more glute/hamstring and quad exercises. Right now I'm doing rack pulls (deadlifts but I call them rack pulls since I can only start just below the knee), dumbbell deads, back and front squat.

Please keep in mind the equipment and environment I have. For instance loading up a dumbbell and doing goblet squats isn't a safe option. Think 300 foot boat that sees 3-10' seas.

Thank you for any tips!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I have worked oil field for Years and when on floater I always just stuck with the smith machine for everything. The moving will cause injury on anything else without doubt

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Could also try rear foot elevated split squats on the Smith Machine. You have your trailing foot up on a bench, and basically do a lunge.

I like them better in the Smith anyway, no balance required.

Reaction score
Could also try rear foot elevated split squats on the Smith Machine. You have your trailing foot up on a bench, and basically do a lunge.

Great idea. I was doing this body weight style in quarantine. Would be a great addition! Thanks

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on a semisubmersible in Trinidad. Fortunately the seas are never really bad so I'm able to use the BB in the rack. I do have a smith machine available for those rough days though

Reaction score
Impressive! I'd be puking over the side of the boat all day. I'm so jealous of people that don't get seasick.

Reactions: Jin

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Worry less about the amount of different exercises you are doing and instead focus on the proper execution of the exercise and how you can make it as brutal as possible

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score

These split squats wrecked me. Didn't realize my leg strength was imbalanced and hit the inside of the legs to.

Thank you again

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
I'm currently on a semisubmersible in Trinidad. Fortunately the seas are never really bad so I'm able to use the BB in the rack. I do have a smith machine available for those rough days though

Small world. I'm just south of you off the coast of Guyana. Be safe out there brother

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m sure you have a cable machine available. Don’t underestimate what you can do with just cables and dumbbells. Obviously not going to get conventional squats but can sure do a lot with them.

Reaction score
Worry less about the amount of different exercises you are doing and instead focus on the proper execution of the exercise and how you can make it as brutal as possible

I understand where you're coming from. Just do the exercises and quit whining. 8-12 sets of back squats every 3 days doesn't seem as productive as adding in lifts at different angles.

I went through a similar thing with bench, OHP and BB rows. Just did a shit load of both. Wasn't until I added in more accessories that they went up.

Adding in split squats for the first time today made me realize I have a leg a little weaker and the inside of my legs aren't getting hit as hard as they should.

I agree with your overall statement though. It's more about doing the work then trying to optimize every little thing.

New Threads