Ex IV drug addict: AMA

Sickman

Paragon
Reaction score
I battled a heroin and meth addiction for 8 years. I've been clean for 7 months. While using, my life was a living hell. But now, it is amazing. I've used lifting as a tool to help keep me sober.

A friend brought up the idea to me of creating this thread, and I definitely think it was a good idea. If I can get awareness out there for other addicts that are in my former situation, then I'm all for it. If I can prevent even just one person from going through the hell I went through while using, then I'll be satisfied.

I've never created a thread like this, so I'll just keep this short for now until I get some questions.

Go ahead and ask me anything

Reaction score
Why? Everyone knows how bad drugs can be. Literally everyone. So why start in the first place?

I apologize if that sounds harsh, I absolutely don't mean it to. I'm genuinely curious.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Can you remember the factors that began the journey down the dark road? If you could talk to new users, what would you tell them to look out for? Obviously never start is the answer. But.....

If you knew a 17yo kid who was graduating from Loricet to Oxy and then so on. What would you say to him?

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Why? Everyone knows how bad drugs can be. Literally everyone. So why start in the first place?

I apologize if that sounds harsh, I absolutely don't mean it to. I'm genuinely curious.
Yea that is kinda harsh. Why can’t he start a thread like this if he wants? Like he said if he helps even one person then he’ll be happy. Seems like a good idea to me but I’m an ex addict so maybe I’m biased.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Going to stick with the heroin side of things so please answer from that perspective.

Dealers: do they usually use heroin as well?

Nodding off: what are you experiencing? Is it pleasant? Doesn’t look pleasant.

Some people go work after a fix and some pass out on a floor. What’s the difference?

Do you want to have sex after a fix? Are you able to? Have you? How was it?

Injection/infections: are they common? Please confirm nobody gives a shit about sterilization.

What’s the worst part about being addicted to IV drugs?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

Thank you for posting this.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
30 and dead head both asked some good questions. I don’t think it’s harsh at all for those of us who don’t battle demons that dark and never have, it can be hard to understand why put yourself through that so asking those types of questions can help you gain empathy from others

OP congrats on your sobriety prayers/hopes that you continue it! You have a good group of dudes here who will support you, there are some members who have gone through what you have so they can relate. I can’t relate but I can support you.

Reaction score
Yea that is kinda harsh. Why can’t he start a thread like this if he wants? Like he said if he helps even one person then he’ll be happy. Seems like a good idea to me but I’m an ex addict so maybe I’m biased.
Lol really? You don't think maybe I meant why start? Damn dude....

Kellkell26

Lady Member
Reaction score
Do you believe addiction to heroin is a "disease" or a "choice"? ive heard both from former users. I mean we can be addicted to anything and its almost always linked to mental health problems/poor coping mechanisms. But then again the addict chose to use, chose to forgo help and when they do stop, its their choice to do so? Just curious about your take. Keep up the good work! Make 2021 your time to shine!

Reaction score
Are you getting triggered by using syringes?

For me (also a recovering heroin addict), I don't think I could have been around syringes right after getting clean and sober. 1st time using them again without someone doing it for me in a professional setting was almost 20 years since the last time I used heroin.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Are you getting triggered by using syringes?

For me (also a recovering heroin addict), I don't think I could have been around syringes right after getting clean and sober. 1st time using them again without someone doing it for me in a professional setting was almost 20 years since the last time I used heroin.

I used to shoot meth and coke and using syringes for this has never bugged me, but like Cohiba said, it would have for sure if I was still green in my recovery.

i would caution anyone new in recovery about using gear at all for the first couple of years, unless you already were. Early recovery is hard enough and it would be bad to start looking to gear like it's a fix or a solution.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
Can you use other substances like alcohol, steroids or weed without issues?

What was the final straw that made you get clean?

Any tips for someone who wants to get clean?

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
I understand.. not the whole IV thing though - **** that. I don't even like pinning. lol I have an addictive, compulsive, all or nothing type of mentality. And that's far from just encompassing drugs, it affects pretty much most aspect of my life. I have to pay close attention that I don't pick up any bad habits. Racked up 185,000 on credit cards a few years ago, started gettin close to a problem with the bourbon this fall... going through a fifth every other night, and closer to 2 bottles on days off work. Caught myself before drugs ever really absorbed me in and corrupted my life. I have a habitual addiction to speed.. been pulled over 8x for 100mph+. Got out of federal court from a 140/55, and caught myself hittin triple digits briefly on my way home. I crave marijuana almost every day, and the only thing keeping me away from it is my job went to zero tolerance instead of 100% paid rehab in Miami.

Reactions: Jin

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
7 months clean isn't long, so this is a good exercise for you to remind yourself how much better your life is now.
There are many members here that have suffered from substance abuse.
We all similarly took to the iron.
If I had to ask you any question it would be the question I ask myself when I think about it...
Do you miss the drugs?

Ped X

Reaction score
What do you think some one else could have said or done to help you from ending up being addicted to heroin?

I'm curious because I spent many years addicted to H. Before that I had seen it take people lives away right Infront of my eyes. Close friends. Monetarily and literally. Never thought I'd end up in that same spot. Yet I did and I don't think anyone could have done or said anything to change that. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Great thread man. Congratulations on 7 months. Plenty of us on here.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
Used to do a bit of blow and my downfall with drugs doesn't even compare and it was extremely difficult to quit all I can say is im proud of you and hope you stick this out! You've made gains i can only dream of in a short time.. keep up the great work!

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Do you believe addiction to heroin is a "disease" or a "choice"? ive heard both from former users. I mean we can be addicted to anything and its almost always linked to mental health problems/poor coping mechanisms. But then again the addict chose to use, chose to forgo help and when they do stop, its their choice to do so? Just curious about your take. Keep up the good work! Make 2021 your time to shine!

I would say it starts off as a choice, then becomes a disease, once you become dependent,
The drugs call all the shots, over self will,family, responsiblity every aspect in life revolves around the next fix!

Sickman

Paragon
Reaction score

You're good it's not harsh. The main reasons I used is because I was in a lot of pain and wanted to numb it. Physical and mental. I grew up in a dysfunctional family, and dealt with a lot of emotional and physical abuse over the years growing up. Not even just by my family, but I had a babysitter that used to abuse and bully me. I was also exposed to drugs at and early age and I was desensitized to them by the time I discovered heroin.

The physical pain I deal with comes from a sledding injury I had when I was 5 years old. I crashed into a ditch and cracked my l4 and l5, and it is deformed now. So I self medicated with prescription opiates which eventually ran out, which then led to heroin

New Threads