Showin the Old Timers How Its Done

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Decided to make a journal to keep me honest and on track. I want to get down to 15% bf, and see where it goes from there. Ive started a diet using myfitnesspal, which Ill post results of in here.

My biggest challenge is gaining strength, I had barely any when starting lifting. I had a bad knee injury with made me lose most the muscle in my left quad. To cope with this I started abusing stimulants, which made me lose additional muscle.

This went on for a year, I ended up losing 60 lbs. Any strength I had was gone. I suspect this also set my puberty back a bit, which made gaining any back harder. I just hope I didnt mess myself up too bad. Ive gained 40lbs back so far.

So my lifts arnt good at all, they're probably below average. But I want to gain muscle, and I want to gain it the right way.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Mu current routine is Push/Pull/Legs, with a shoulder day. I added a shoulder/arm day because I have long arms like an orangutan

Mon: Shoulders, Bis, Tris
Tues: Legs, Calves, Abdominals

Thurs: Chest, Tris
Fri: Back, Bi, Abdominals

I throw cardio in every now and then when Im feeling like it

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Let's do this!!!

Reaction score
What is your current height & weight, bf% est?

Take before pics too, even if you don't want to post them up yet.

I'll follow along!

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ll bring the popcorn!!!!!

Last edited:

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Yesterdays Workout was Chest+Tris, did not have much time so I cut out decline DB bench press, and tri extension

My chest is my biggest weak point, not much muscle there.

Barbell Bench Press- 95lbs 4x8

Pectoral Flys-4x8
Tri Pulldown-4x8

Pec Dec-4x8

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Alrighty Jack, looking at your physique and age I would venture to say that you need to pound the protein and lift the weights consistently. This body fat issue will take care of itself if you focus on those two things. Don’t get caught up on your shape, just start tracking your calories and macros with consistency to figure out where you really are. Spongy has a great thread regarding recomp in the nutrition section that you would great.y benefit from. Keep hitting it man. This will take a commitment from you but you can do it. I’m following along.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What Tater said, x2.

Yer making good progress and yer young enough (from the looks of ye) that ye still have a way to go before ye hit any sort of plateau.

Start by figuring out yer TDEE (a good calc fer ye HERE)

Fer round numbers, try to stay in a roughly 10% caloric surplus over yer TDEE.

Track yer eating with MyFitnessPal (its free and it works well enough).

Definitely have a think on Spongey's thread around macros and then figure how ye'll split out the carbs / fats / proteins that will make up yer diet.

Think on a percentage of yer total cals fer each. So for example I used to run 30% carbs / 30% fats and 40% protein when I wanted to add some strength.

YMMV, as ye may process one or multiple macro nutrients better than the others but try to generally shoot fer a gram of protein fer pound of lean body mass (yea, thats metric to imperial - deal with it ya bloody Yank). Take a best guess at a bf% (or get a cheap scale that will tell ye) and deduct that from yer scale weight (eg. 200 lbs / 15% bf / 170 lbs lean mass = 170 grams protein minimum).

Split yer macros into meals around yer training as best ye can, favoring carbs primarily before yer training and fats closer to the end of yer day (proteins throughout but especially PWO). Again, YMMV on this (eg. carbs before training) so prepare to do some adjusting based on how yer body responds.

Take pics. Good bit ye'll not notice the small changes yer body will make day by day, but if ye look at them at a 1 mos interval for example ye'll see the results of yer work.

Good luck, Mate and good on ye for having a plan!

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Today was shldr and arm day.

Arnold Presses 20lb DBs 4x8
Tricep Pulldowns 4x12

Front Raise 15lbs 4x8
Concentration Curls 20lbs 4x8

Lateral Raise 10lbs 4x12
Bent Over Raise 15lbs 4x12

Shoulder press 20lbs 4x8

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Got a good meal in before lifting, I think it helped a bit. Got a few more lbs in my lifts, and more nrg.

Im stable at 189 lbs, I think any excess water weight is off now.(From 213lbs, 2 weeks prior) Been keeping good to my diet.

Chest Tri Day:
(I have a multi machine that has a table to calculate weight, it can go to hell. You wont see weight for some exercises.)

DB bench press 4x8 45lb DBs

Pec Flys 4x12
Tri Pulldowns 4x8

Pec Dec 4x8

Went 20 mins on exercise bike before bed

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Got a good meal in before lifting, I think it helped a bit. Got a few more lbs in my lifts, and more nrg.

Im stable at 189 lbs, I think any excess water weight is off now.(From 213lbs, 2 weeks prior) Been keeping good to my diet.

Chest Tri Day:
(I have a multi machine that has a table to calculate weight, it can go to hell. You wont see weight for some exercises.)

DB bench press 4x8 45lb DBs

Pec Flys 4x12
Tri Pulldowns 4x8

Pec Dec 4x8

Went 20 mins on exercise bike before bed

Get the Pec Flyes out of there, and replace it with an Incline Press. The Flyes and Pec Deck are redundant, basically the same. The Pec Deck is better, so toss the Flyes.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Get the Pec Flyes out of there, and replace it with an Incline Press. The Flyes and Pec Deck are redundant, basically the same. The Pec Deck is better, so toss the Flyes.
Okay Ill mark that down. What about a decline press, was going to see how it fits in next week.