Just joined the forum, lifted many years ago and it's time for me to start ag

Reaction score
I used to be a pretty serious lifter for 3-5 years when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I stopped because I just wasn't making the progress I wanted and depression took hold and was telling me all my effort was pointless.

Well I stopped lifting and the depression stayed with me all the way from 18 to my current age of 29.

Recently I was involuntarily held at a hospital for suicidal thoughts. I had alot of time to think while I was there and I realized the last time I was happy I was pumping iron. So in an effort to give my life some purpose, to improve my mental health, to become a swole beast I'm looking into creating a home gym.

It will take time to get all the equipment but meanwhile I have a few dumbbells and at my current physical shape, calisthenics are plenty enough to get me started.

Currently I'm about 5'6" and 140lbs, I don't eat as much as I should so I expect to gain alot of mass once I start hitting some heavy weight and increasing my food and water intake. My main goal is to increase muscle mass with overall strength increase as a secondary goal, 160lbs as a midrange goal, and 180+lbs is my long term goal

I'm looking forward to getting to chat with you guys and I'm sure there is alot of stuff I will need to relearn and get advice and tips from every one

midevil

Elite
Reaction score
You've set your goals and that's where it starts (nice move).

But ......Why wait till you have the home gym? Check out a few local gyms and get rolling now.... stop wasting time

Welcome to the UG.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Welcome in man. You’ll find plenty of brothers here who have suffered and who are willing to help you through your journey.

Your goals sound realistic. Exercise is an amazing way to combat depression and anxiety.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG, now get to work!!!

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Welcome to the underground!
Eat big/Train big!

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
If (IF) a home gym is the correct choice for you vs. a commercial gym, begin schooling yourself and window shopping online to learn about what's out there, at what prices, and at what availability. Way back when COVID started and many commercial gyms were on Shutdown, thousands of gymrats who'd never had a home gym flooded the market, resulting in frustrating back-orders and out-of-stock items. The sooner you order things, the sooner you'll get them, even if a wait is involved.

Do not, however, make any hasty decisions you'll regret later ... do plenty of comparison shopping before you take the plunge. Rogue is a high quality, high price place to get an overview, but there are other quality sites. You can find many things on Amazon or at your local sporting goods store that are available right now, but be wary of quality vs. what you are gonna require from your equipment.

Welcome to UG.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Proper intro, good plan in terms of yer goals.

Welcome to UGB.

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome, and it seems someone is always logged on here if you need to chat.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
New year, new me. Don't be a statistic. Keep at it and you will see results. Good luck

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. This may be one of the best and healthiest decisions you've ever made. Lifting has always gotten me through and taught me about myself. Glad you're here.

New Threads