What You Dont See in the "News"

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
And this folks, is the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

You sound just like every other ruthless dictator who ever lived.

Just because an idea might work doesn’t make it a good idea. Certainly not a noble idea

If Africa had developed their own system of morality we wouldn't have this issue. You are taking a Western society approach to this.

Murderous dictators are better than civil war and anarchy. Just look at Gaddafi.

We helped the Libyans overthrow Gaddafi and guess what happened in that power vacuum?

Civil war, terrorism, and ethnic war

Some places need a strongman to take charge, look how successful Kim Jong Un and his dynasty is at keeping peace in the Korean peninsula.

Some places are just not ready for democracy or freedom. They want the traditional systems of power and government.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
If Africa had developed their own system of morality we wouldn't have this issue. You are taking a Western society approach to this.

Murderous dictators are better than civil war and anarchy. Just look at Gaddafi.

We helped the Libyans overthrow Gaddafi and guess what happened in that power vacuum?

Civil war, terrorism, and ethnic war

Some places need a strongman to take charge, look how successful Kim Jong Un and his dynasty is at keeping peace in the Korean peninsula.

Some places are just not ready for democracy or freedom. They want the traditional systems of power and government.

See my first point above.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Neg rep me all you want, you dont want to hear any belief that makes you feel bad. I go out looking to learn what is upsetting, to understand why things happen and how to solve them.

You cant improve the world without having ideas on how to improve it. Yes my ideas might make you feel disgusted or angry, but this is just something I thought of.

Im not saying my ideas are right, I want to be corrected. I don't hold any of my beliefs as true, as you might. I just like thinking of solutions to things

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
See my first point above.
But why is the dictator bad? We cant hold Africa to Western standards, because they don't hold them.

I was born in a Western country, I was raised with Western beliefs, so of course I believe western society is morally right.

But Africa does not share our morals, they have their own beliefs.

You judging my idea with your Western standards

Morality is subjective

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Why is the dictator bad?

Why does shit stink?

Why do we need to explain the obvious?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
But why is the dictator bad? We cant hold Africa to Western standards, because they don't hold them.

I was born in a Western country, I was raised with Western beliefs, so of course I believe western society is morally right.

But Africa does not share our morals, they have their own beliefs.

You judging my idea with your Western standards

Morality is subjective

I’m not going to debate your ideas because your grip on reality is tenuous as best.

Do you realize Africa is a huge continent with many countries and to generalize the way you are is absurd?

Do you know what North Koreans suffer at the hands of their dictator?

”Western society is morally right”. And you say My perspective is flawed because I’m looking at it from a western society perspective?

You know I live in East Asia, right?

The shit you are saying is offensive, but most importantly it’s just dumb.

Last edited:

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I’m not going to debate your ideas because your grip on reality is tenuous as best.

Do you realize Africa is a huge continent with many countries and to generalize the way you are is absurd?

Do you know what North Koreans suffer at the hands of their dictator?

”Western society is morally right”. And you say My perspective is flawed because I’m looking at it from a western perspective.

You know I live in East Asia, right?

The shit you are saying is offensive, but most importantly it’s just dumb.

My grip on reality is stronger than yours. I know more hard truths, and yet I dont take anything as true. I dont harbor delusions of morality of a soul or morality, it doesnt exist.

Yet what sets me apart from a psychopath is I acknowledge human nature. The only way for happiness is to be part of the collective, to follow these unsubstantiated moral codes. So I do, I act as a human, because I am a human. Even though I know love isnt real, I let myself believe it is.

And my generalizations are mostly correct, excluding minor variations like Arab or European influences. Tell me why Im wrong.

Yes North Koreans suffer, I never denied that. What I said is the Kim dynasty provided stability and peace. And I evaluated how this could be applied to Africa, because of their need for stability and peace.

Okay, Eastern perspective then. I was just making the point that to truly be impartial we have to realize that these deep seated "truths" arnt actually true.

"Offensive" see thats the problem. You cant think in a rational way when fueled by emotion. My belief is that you must always come to your opinion by rationality, then take a step back. Then view it from a humanistic perspective to see what you got wrong.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Why is the dictator bad?

Why does shit stink?

Why do we need to explain the obvious?
Shit stinks because humans who were repulsed by the smell of shit were less likely to die from disease like dysentery. This human would then teach the rest in his group that shit stinks and its gross.

A tribe that lives along shit will be more unhealthy than a tribe that doesnt. So the healthier tribe will be more successful amd spread further.

Why is a dictator bad? Because of philosophy?

Philosophy is flawed from the start, it relies on a humans delusion of a soul.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
My grip on reality is stronger than yours. I know more hard truths, and yet I dont take anything as true. I dont harbor delusions of morality of a soul or morality, it doesnt exist.

Yet what sets me apart from a psychopath is I acknowledge human nature. The only way for happiness is to be part of the collective, to follow these unsubstantiated moral codes. So I do, I act as a human, because I am a human. Even though I know love isnt real, I let myself believe it is.

And my generalizations are mostly correct, excluding minor variations like Arab or European influences. Tell me why Im wrong.

Yes North Koreans suffer, I never denied that. What I said is the Kim dynasty provided stability and peace. And I evaluated how this could be applied to Africa, because of their need for stability and peace.

Okay, Eastern perspective then. I was just making the point that to truly be impartial we have to realize that these deep seated "truths" arnt actually true.

"Offensive" see thats the problem. You cant think in a rational way when fueled by emotion. My belief is that you must always come to your opinion by rationality, then take a step back. Then view it from a humanistic perspective to see what you got wrong.

You’re the very definition of hubris.

I can judge something to be offensive without any emotional response. Didn’t you know? “Fueled by emotion”, wish you could see me right now, I’m breaking windows and cutting my forearms!

Now, I am in no way meaning this as an ad hominem, but, these are the types of egotistical rantings that are found after great tragedies and loss of life. Hopefully it’s only your ideas that are dangerous.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Shit stinks because humans who were repulsed by the smell of shit were less likely to die from disease like dysentery. This human would then teach the rest in his group that shit stinks and its gross.

A tribe that lives along shit will be more unhealthy than a tribe that doesnt. So the healthier tribe will be more successful amd spread further.

Why is a dictator bad? Because of philosophy?

Philosophy is flawed from the start, it relies on a humans delusion of a soul.

There are many philosophers who do not believe in a soul.

Sarte, Nietzsche, Hume, Marx etc.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fookin' ell between this shite and the MLK Day thread...is there a full moon?

OP, was there a point to this that hasn't already been made, asked & answered?

Any reason for keeping this up any longer?

Reactions: Jin

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
I’ve only been to Djibouti and The kingdom of Morocco. Two entirely different cultures and levels of development. You think a dictator needs to establish rule to control the local savages? Morality isn’t subjective but maybe people’s vision of morals is different? I don’t know man, I kinda got lost in the sauce. You paint with a wide brush.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
My son is 17. He knows that he hasn’t lived enough to know. But sometimes he thinks he knows, and then I say don’t take my word for it, go read so and so. Off he goes. Then he says “Oh”.

Reactions: CJ

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
You’re the very definition of hubris.

I can judge something to be offensive without any emotional response. Didn’t you know? “Fueled by emotion”, wish you could see me right now, I’m breaking windows and cutting my forearms!

Now, I am in no way meaning this ad an ad hominem, but, these are the types of egotistical rantings that are found after great tragedies and loss of life. Hopefully it’s only your ideas that are dangerous.
I know my main reason for debating is to refine what I think, I was overly confident before. In my name, megalomaniac was a reference to my previous self.

To humble myself, I acknowledged that I can know something with completely certainty. I am a human, so I am victim to these things.

Ive seen my brother do these things. Hes killed people, or at least hallucinated he did. He had rants of grandeur. But these were all delusions, he pulled me into his awful world.

Now I try to see whats really here. I treat myself as two separate people, one of emotion and one of reason. Becoming delusional is my worst fear in life.

But we are born with certain delusions that give life meaning. Like love and soul, I want these things so bad.

Yet I dont want to be deluded, so without these Im sad.

I want to know the truth, but Im afraid of losing my happiness. Ive already lost it, so Im trying to get it back. I be a "good" person, and do good things, so I can get a taste of that happiness.

I dont want to fight against the grain, but Im also a curious person who wants to learn more.

Yes my grip on reality is loose, I just want to find the balance between reason and feelings to be happy again.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
I also want to mention in passing that love is real and I hope you experience it one day.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Fookin' ell between this shite and the MLK Day thread...is there a full moon?

OP, was there a point to this that hasn't already been made, asked & answered?

Any reason for keeping this up any longer?
No, nothing of substance to the board

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
OP, take this coming from a place of good intentions and a grey beard to a young gun.

I think ye might want bit of a break from the internet, Mate. I see you here with a lot on yer mind but having some trouble getting it out.

Ye live at home? Mum or Da 'round? Bros, Sis, Cousins? I would seek out family and just have a talk with 'em bout everything yer dealing with here.

A good friend off the board would be good, someone who'll just listen fer a spell.

Don't think though yer helping yer self trying to work through these type of issues on a weightlifting board.

Anyone come to mind ye can get with for a minute?

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know my main reason for debating is to refine what I think, I was overly confident before. In my name, megalomaniac was a reference to my previous self.

To humble myself, I acknowledged that I can know something with completely certainty. I am a human, so I am victim to these things.

Ive seen my brother do these things. Hes killed people, or at least hallucinated he did. He had rants of grandeur. But these were all delusions, he pulled me into his awful world.

Now I try to see whats really here. I treat myself as two separate people, one of emotion and one of reason. Becoming delusional is my worst fear in life.

But we are born with certain delusions that give life meaning. Like love and soul, I want these things so bad.

Yet I dont want to be deluded, so without these Im sad.

I want to know the truth, but Im afraid of losing my happiness. Ive already lost it, so Im trying to get it back. I be a "good" person, and do good things, so I can get a taste of that happiness.

I dont want to fight against the grain, but Im also a curious person who wants to learn more.

Yes my grip on reality is loose, I just want to find the balance between reason and feelings to be happy again.
Embracing fascist ideologies isn't gonna bring you any closer to happiness, my dude.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
While the current socio-political environment in Africa is indeed horrifying, its nothing new either.

Africa has been at war with itself in some way, shape or form since I was 10 yrs old (am a SAFFER, lived there through my teens, still have friends and family there, did two tours later in Somalia with the US Army after coming to the US). The apartheid years were fookin' insane in SA. Historically, internal African conflict has stemmed from real / perceived lack of access to political process (commonly due to religious and ethnic issues), lack of socio-political unity & shift in the economy (no longer based on exploitation of natural resources) and lack of legitimate, ethical political leadership leading to 'warlords' stepping into the power vacuum.

didnt know you served, thanks for your service brother
I am sure Somalia wasn’t a walk in the park. Thanks!