#6 Cycling Pilgrimage: I’m Finally A Character in a Bad Story

Reaction score
18/01/2021
Nicaragua
Blog #6 Cycling Pilgrimage
_________

Bruised and Bound in My Nicaraguan Hotel: I’m Finally A Character in a Bad Story

“Sooner or later I’ll be a character in a bad story”, I said this from the beginning knowing I’d have to come to terms with the realities of life on this pilgrimage. Sure enough, after 6 months of traveling down south it was due time for a bad experience. The gods found I was ready to see my vulnerabilities, and the extent thereof, exploited.

So, the other night I found myself on the ground with my feet and hands tied up in my hotel lounge screaming, “ayuda! ayuda, necisito ayuda. Help! I need help”

Now, how I believe I got here may not be reality. What happened is not so clear to me, I only have blurry memories and bruises to recall this unbelievable story. A story even I have a hard time believing. But the bruises, bumps, rope burns on my wrist, stiff neck, sore windpipe, sore cheeks, sore nose, and glass in my kneecaps, as well as, the difficulty of swallowing, tell me to some extent the realities of this nightmare.

Now it’s possible I asked for this, that I was the threat, putting other people in danger. I could have been paranoid and having a bad trip. My manic and erratic behaviour that night could be unjustified. Yet, I believed I was in some type of danger and my manic and erratic behaviour was a relatively measured and tactful way to defuse the situation (to defuse what could have been worse).

I danced around with the men, laughed in the abyss, jumped around, displayed a wide range of absurd facial expressions, sang “if you’re happy and you know it”, yelled and hollered, took off my shirt and bang my chest like an silverback gorilla, pranced around the Main Character, taunted him, threw a glass cup on the ground, threw fake punches and kicks at the Main Character… All this was obviously crazy behaviour.

But If I really was in some type of danger then my strategy worked, I am still alive with relatively minor injuries and with all my belongings. But, if I was not ever really in danger… well then my strategy was unnecessary and it’s unfortunate I put them in distress. Yet, the saying goes, “better safe than sorry”.

I’d like to think my experiences up to this moment made me uniquely qualified to deal with such a situation. That my ability to read people and situations is a skill that I’ve honed throughout my life, and specifically throughout the last 6 months of my travels. I’d like to think I understand people pretty well.

Anyways, this is more or less how it went down

The owner of the hotel, the Main Character, and his friend, the Doc both got me wound up. It started with Doc inviting me to smoke a joint with him. He said he was a 25 year old medical doctor wanting to become a surgeon. He spoke okay English but far from fluent. We didn’t talk much nor did he ask me anything about me besides if I have a job and how old I am. Later, we smoked some of my weed in his bong and I started really trippin’.

I was sitting in a chair high and daydreaming then the Doc showed me a trippy video on his phone, depending on how you were feeling you’d hear a happy song or a sad song. The Main Character was standing near the door watching me and the Doc got up and said a phrase to the Main Character that put my world upside down that night, “I can’t get a read on this guy”, he said in English. My heart started pounding, I was completely freaked out. Why does he need to read me? Why is Doc saying that to the main character? Why did he say it in English? Why are they staring at me from across the room? They kept staring without saying a word. I needed to change characters, I thought, “I look like prey”. So, I started grinning at the wall. Instead of, keeping my chin down I opened up. I spread my legs and sat back in the chair. I occasionally nodded in the abyss, giving an impression of a devilish idea. They stared a little longer then walked away. Then they came back a moment later and stared. “Are we doing this or not”, the Doc whispered frantically in English as if I couldn’t hear him or as if I was suppose to be incoherent at that point. I didn’t hear the Main Characters response but my heart stopped pounding and I felt relieved. They both sat down on the couch in front of me and things were chill. For a moment. Until they continued staring at me . No words had been exchanged between me and them for a while now. I was getting nervous, and they got up and left again.

Things calmed down again but after seeing someone enter my room all my doubts that night were cast aside, I was in danger. I don’t know what kind. I don’t know what they wanted. But their evil vibes permeated my very being.

From this point the chain of events gets more blurry but it went something like this:

I remember sitting in a different chair in the hallway calming down. Then I saw someone enter my room. I thought, “Holy shit, this is real. I’m not overreacting”, I rushed to me room then I went to the Main Character and started prancing around him. I remember throwing fake punches and kicks at him and eventually taking him down with a single leg take down. I tried getting him in a chock but by this time I had 3 guys on me hitting me. And I was quickly in a chock and nearly (or did) pass out. They tried tying me up but I escaped. They tried again but I wouldn’t let them. Another guy came and I still wouldn’t let them. Finally, with a third guy they secured my hands behind my back and tied me up tight, so tight that my wrists are still bruised and scabbed. At this point I had bruises on my forehead, back of my head, ribs and cheeks. I was screaming help as loud as I could. Even when I was tired I had a faint “help” come out of my mouth. I was forced to drink this thick liquid that was inside this vial but I struggled so much that they only got half of it in my mouth. I remember them walking in an out of my room. I remember them video recording me tied up. I remember them pouring a cup of water on me, mostly on my face.

All the while, my perpetrators were reminding me all night about my insanity. They would kneel down while I was tied up and tell me, “why are you acting like this, you’re crazy man”.

Being in this very alert state was tiring, but I was too scared to fall asleep. I feared even worse things would happen if I feel asleep. Maybe I’d die or maybe slumber was a prerequisite for then to complete the crime. So, I stayed awake. I’d cycle through dozing off then from somewhere I’d get a shot of energy and scream help as loud as I could until there was just a faint “help” coming out of my mouth. Then, a shot of energy. This repeated for a long time. Then I though, “eh what’s the use”. Lying on the ground in a puddle of water I told the Main Character, “it’s okay, it’s not personal, life is what you make it. I smiled at him saying, “well I made the best of it”. He asked, “what are you, army, military?”

Before the police came the Main Character untied me and gave me water. He asked if I wanted to stay here tonight and continue my journey or go with the police. I told him I’m getting the **** out of here and I packed up all my stuff. I got outside but the police now said they didn’t want to take me anywhere. The police left and I stood outside of the hotel. At this time I recorded some videos explaining what happened, I also sent some videos and messages to my sisters explain what had happened. So, if anything else were to happen to me at least my sister’s would have a good place to start investigating.

Having doubts about what happened and wanting to get more information, I returned to the hotel the next afternoon after sleeping in the park. I had my video camera and the Main Character came to the door. I asked him, “Can you tell me what happened last night?”, he said, “you’re crazy man, you fight me”. He showed me where I cut him on his back with glass. Soon, the Doc came out too, but he only said in anger, “you broke my cup”. After, talking to the Main Character in my nightmare I had more doubt about the beliefs I had the night being justified.

But, what has been done is done. I’m alive with all my belongings and it sure beats the alternative, it could have played out worse.

Recently, I’m been conscious to not put too much weight on this one negative experience. Loss Aversion theory implies that a natural human reaction to such a traumatic event is for me to put undue significance on it. For me to change who I am and how I travel (or cease traveling all together). But that would be the illogical thing to do. Who I am and how I travel has been overwhelmingly successful, changing anything based on this experience is illogical. So stay the course. Continue being open. Be vigilant and wise

Adam Winfield Keen
Keenvilleco.com

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
What the ****?

Are you saying you tripped out from smoking your drugs? Were you just paranoid?

What liquid did they pour in your mouth? Were you hallucinating?

Thats a crazy, wild story. Considering they didn’t hold you for ransom, steal from you or rape you isn’t is likely you were just paranoid and overreacting?

TBH the story is compelling but leaves me with way more questions than answers.

glad you’re alive and you didn’t get raped. Unless you did get raped. Then, I’m sorry you were raped. That really sucks.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Everything that Jin said!!! :32 (6)::32 (6)::32 (6):

Reaction score
What the ****?

Are you saying you tripped out from smoking your drugs? Were you just paranoid?

What liquid did they pour in your mouth? Were you hallucinating?

Thats a crazy, wild story. Considering they didn’t hold you for ransom, steal from you or rape you isn’t is likely you were just paranoid and overreacting?

TBH the story is compelling but leaves me with way more questions than answers.

glad you’re alive and you didn’t get raped. Unless you did get raped. Then, I’m sorry you were raped. That really sucks.

Naw dude, I'm with you. It's confusing and I'm left with many questions unanswered. I believed I was in danger that night but it's possible that was not reality. My strategy was to defuse the situation and here I am alive and with all my belongings. Was my strategy successful? Or was my strategy the problem that left me traumatized? Idk

I assume the liquid they gave me was a sleeping agent but a good or bad guy would want me sleeping

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I assume the liquid they gave me was a sleeping agent but a good or bad guy would want me sleeping

That would make sense, since the guy was a doctor. And since he was in a third world country he probably used a pharmaceutical recipe book, my grandfather had one.

He probably created a tranquilizer, or sleeping aid to knock you out, hence why it was in a vile

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Seems like you were the bad guy in this bad story lol. Bipolar? Some laced drugs? W.e the case may be, you’re lucky. You gotta be able to conduct yourself especially in foreign areas of the world. Next outburst could really be fatal.

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score
Seems like you were the bad guy in this bad story lol. Bipolar? Some laced drugs? W.e the case may be, you’re lucky. You gotta be able to conduct yourself especially in foreign areas of the world. Next outburst could really be fatal.

Being the bad guy is a possibility I can't rule out.

The conundrum is, "outbursting" could have been fatal and not outbursting could have been fatal.

Do not put undue importance on 1 experience out of 100s I've had in foreign lands. My track record is stron

And do not think that this is a regularly experience for me that warrants "the next time...

New Threads