Old Gym Rat Trying To Restart

Reaction score
Hi UG:

New to this forum, but not to bodybuilding. Trying to recover from a 15-year hiatus.

short story made long, I started lifting at 15. I stayed natural the entire time I was training. I know, I know, everyone says that. At my peak I was 5’6”, weighed 170, was regularly in the 5-10% fat range, maxed out on bench low 300’s, squats in the high 400’s, those types of stats. I did try tribulus, but now I know that’s just grass clippings.

I had got greedy and went for 515 in squats after not being able to load my legs up at 495. Started to lose the weight and instead of racking and starting over I tried to muscle it up, and I took out my spine badly. Took a year to recover from it. Tried to get back into it in and off, but always ended up not lasting long.

then a few years later, it came back to haunt in a big way, put me out of commission for a few years. As in constant pain management and PT and surgeons who couldn’t fix it. Fast forward to 39 years old, I found a PT who was able to get the original injury to let go and decompress my spine.

in the past two years I have been able to tolerate heavy automotive work, logging (trees) and splitting wood, and reasonably consistent manual labor, which gave me the confidence I might be able to resume lifting.

so I’ve restarted my old habits - eating right, lifting, and calisthenics. However at 45 now, I just don’t put muscle on like I did when I was 27, struggling to shed weight, even doing things right, struggling to stay motivated due to lack of results.

Anyway, that’s long winded enough I’m sure.

Am starting to research various things. So far I know enough to know CrazyBulk is laughable. I’m considering getting blood tests done just to see where I’m at, as I’m sure the years of being laid up has consequences.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Hopefully your on the road to a recovery and can get back to what you need to do. Welcome to the forum

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground. There is a lot of good info here. Glad to hear that you're back in the gym. Good luck on getting back in the swing of things. Lots of dudes here in their 40s, including me.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Welcome. Getting blood work is a great idea. Do it.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I’m hoping being active in a forum helps with the motivation :)

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Being active will help for sure! Welcome to the UG!