Genetics go both ways

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Jin used to always give me crap about my “pro genetics”. Well, I let my BP meds lapse for a few months. Figured it wouldnt matter since I do a ridiculous amount of cardio, do IF, sauna, and have low bodyfat.

BP at the docs today was 162/102. Lesson learned. Take my lisinopril 365 days a year.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Jin used to always give me crap about my “pro genetics”. Well, I let my BP meds lapse for a few months. Figured it wouldnt matter since I do a ridiculous amount of cardio, do IF, sauna, and have low bodyfat.

BP at the docs today was 162/102. Lesson learned. Take my lisinopril 365 days a year.

You can take a pill to lower your BP.

There’s no pill strong enough to make me as strong or as handsome as you;)

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score

Jin do you flirt with just about everyone on here?!
Way to make us feel "special"...

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score

Mi BP is always well within range, i check it regularly. Last week at the doc is was 190 something over 110 something. Back to normal the next day

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Mi BP is always well within range, i check it regularly. Last week at the doc is was 190 something over 110 something. Back to normal the next day

Being out in public at a doctors office could be the culprit. There are people who test high in a doctors office but normal At home.

Reaction score
Being out in public at a doctors office could be the culprit. There are people who test high in a doctors office but normal At home.

I never do though. In fact at that moment I couldn't have been more relaxed. It was odd. Not normal at all for me. Also not at all a cause for concern either. Maybe deep down I was pissed because the nurse blew out my vein and took forever to get the IV in. Who knows

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
They mighta used a regular sized cuff on you. You need an xl or itll skew the results.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score

You always make me feel like the bell of the ball. :)

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Did they take it manually or with a machine? The machines can be inaccurate occasionally.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Cuff size and accuracy of BP is not a factor of the circumference of your arm fellas. To get an accurate BP the cuff should cover 2/3 of your arm from pit to elbow. Most big guys need an adult long cuff. An XL cuff is going to give you a false low reading unless your arm to the elbow is really long. And machines are generally just as accurate if not more so than manually. I take BP readings every 5 minutes all day long.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I trust that youre correct Bricks but Im not sure how. I can think of probably a dozen times where they gave me a normal sized cuff, reading was really high, changed to xl cuff and it dropped by 20 or more points.

Yesterday I bought a regular sized cuff after leaving the docs office. It was 40 points higher than ten minutes before in the office so I just returned it.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I trust that youre correct Bricks but Im not sure how. I can think of probably a dozen times where they gave me a normal sized cuff, reading was really high, changed to xl cuff and it dropped by 20 or more points.

Yesterday I bought a regular sized cuff after leaving the docs office. It was 40 points higher than ten minutes before in the office so I just returned it.

That's what I said. A cuff that is too large (over 2/3 the length of the upper arm) will give you a low reading. A cuff that is too short over the distance is gonna give you a high reading. Perhaps your BP is higher than you believe it to be.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm on a low dose BP med. The BP will go up on cycle and the med keeps it in check. I just stay on the BP med all year since it's a low dose. As you age, your systolic will naturally rise and that's the one I can have problems with. My Dr. office visit is always higher than when I'm at home. At rest and in the morning I'm about 110-120/ 65-70. At the Dr. I will be 135/80. I did once take my home cuff with me as a check and did it right before the Dr. did it. The BP was relatively close in comparison.

We talked about this recently in the Creatinine thread; you're looking for a consistent movement in one direction over a long period of time.

Reaction score
Jin do you flirt with just about everyone on here?!
Way to make us feel "special"...
He doesn’t flirt with me. He just busts my balls. Every day every day every day... gets lonely down here at the bottom...

-MrSensitive.

New Threads