I need advice: College athlete

Reaction score
I’m looking for some fitness advice. I currently am a freshman in college and I wrestle. I’m 6’2 and 225lbs. My coaches and I decided it was best for me to make the transition to heavyweight (Max 285 lbs.) collegiate heavy weight wrestling can be brutal and most guys are very large, strong, heavy dudes, and I can’t compete only weighing 225. I know I want to put on a MINIMUM of 40 pounds over the next 8 months, and I need to get as strong as possible, however I still want to keep my athletic ability and not become a complete pud. I’ve heard that I need to be at 4K calories, I’ve heard 6k, 8k+ calories. What should my calories/macros look like? I also know I need to spend most of my time in the gym, even though I already do. What should my training split look like? I’ve thought about going 3 days a week high volume and 3 days a week strength training, but I’ve also heard that this is ineffective and that I should train in fazes, 8-12 weeks hypertrophy first, and then focus on strength training after. What is best for my bulking journey in order for me to be a primed, large, strong, 265 lbs+ tank 8 months from now? Any advice helps, thanks.

Reaction score
I’m looking for some fitness advice. I currently am a freshman in college and I wrestle. I’m 6’2 and 225lbs. My coaches and I decided it was best for me to make the transition to heavyweight (Max 285 lbs.) collegiate heavy weight wrestling can be brutal and most guys are very large, strong, heavy dudes, and I can’t compete only weighing 225. I know I want to put on a MINIMUM of 40 pounds over the next 8 months, and I need to get as strong as possible, however I still want to keep my athletic ability and not become a complete pud. I’ve heard that I need to be at 4K calories, I’ve heard 6k, 8k+ calories. What should my calories/macros look like? I also know I need to spend most of my time in the gym, even though I already do. What should my training split look like? I’ve thought about going 3 days a week high volume and 3 days a week strength training, but I’ve also heard that this is ineffective and that I should train in fazes, 8-12 weeks hypertrophy first, and then focus on strength training after. What is best for my bulking journey in order for me to be a primed, large, strong, 265 lbs+ tank 8 months from now? Any advice helps, thanks.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score

Eat heavy, lift heavy. Sleep heavy.

Eating will be your biggest challenge. Especially because you’ll
be burning so many calories in practice.

How many daily calories currently?

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
As for programming? I have no clue but it’s a neat question. I certainly would avoid high reps though.

My gut feeling is a mix between a PL program, some days of 12-10-8 and some days where you are just going balls-out on a single set (after sufficient warm up) like Yates trained.

More learned people will chime in.

Welcome in.

Reaction score
Let’s go! I’m excited to hear from people who know what they are talking about. I’m a college student, recently my diet has been pretty trash. I was 245, once moved in I haven’t been eating like I used to. I lost 20 lbs. probably a lot of muscle. So as of right now I’m starting from scratch. I’d love to hear suggestions on calories/macros and where I should start.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Let’s go! I’m excited to hear from people who know what they are talking about. I’m a college student, recently my diet has been pretty trash. I was 245, once moved in I haven’t been eating like I used to. I lost 20 lbs. probably a lot of muscle. So as of right now I’m starting from scratch. I’d love to hear suggestions on calories/macros and where I should start.

600 carbs
300 protein
150-200 fat.

Thats 4900-5400. I assume you’ll need more but start there maybe.

track your macros with my fitness pal. See what your weight is after 3 weeks, unless your losing weight. Than up your calories sooner.

You could very well need 7K+. Wrestling burns a lot of fuel.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Gaining 40 lbs in 8 months is going to change everything, how you move, body awareness, etc...

It's going to be a challenge.

Why such a huge jump in weight classes? Are there absolute studs in the classes in between?

Reaction score
Gaining 40 lbs in 8 months is going to change everything, how you move, body awareness, etc...

It's going to be a challenge.

Why such a huge jump in weight classes? Are there absolute studs in the classes in between?

For starters. I was at a good 245 after a hard summer of training but life hit, had issues with college, stopped eating right, lost 20 pounds. The weight class down is 197 lbs. heavyweight is after. In high school there was a 220 lb weight class which is what I wrestled but college doesn’t have one so I’m forced to choose up or down. For me, I hate cutting 20-30 pounds. I’d much rather enjoy my life and eat, lift, and wrestle heavy weight. Plus, I don’t really have a choice. At the college level, when coach (the one who gave me a scholarship to wrestle) says he needs me at heavy weight, I have to. I’m willing to do whatever it takes, I’ll be a better heavyweight than a 197 pound guy anyways. Our guy at 197 is a returning national champ too, so it’s my only option, as well as what I want.

Reaction score
Also have considered possible running some sort of anabolic steroid cycle over the off season and getting off before season in case of drug test, but I have no experience or knowledge with any of it. Any input would help. If this is a terrible idea tell me that as well.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Also have considered possible running some sort of anabolic steroid cycle over the off season and getting off before season in case of drug test, but I have no experience or knowledge with any of it. Any input would help. If this is a terrible idea tell me that as well.

It’s a terrible idea.

I was a D1 athlete in college. Taking PEDs is poor sportsmanship. I was also in a sport like yours where there is no pro level and no financial incentive to cheat.

We’ll get you where you need to be without drugs.

Reaction score
It’s a terrible idea.

I was a D1 athlete in college. Taking PEDs is poor sportsmanship. I was also in a sport like yours where there is no pro level and no financial incentive to cheat.

We’ll get you where you need to be without drugs.

I appreciate all the feedback. It was a thought, but I’m glad I have this community to help me get to where I need to be as well as not make dumb choices. Can’t wait to get more people in on the conversation.

Reactions: Jin

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
So 40 lbs in 8 months, which is 34 weeks. So the goal is to gain about 1.25 lbs per week.

Take it slow, plot out a graph of where you want your weight to be every week, and adjust Cals accordingly to stay on pace. If you're gaining too slowly, add in a few extra Cals.

Reaction score
So 40 lbs in 8 months, which is 34 weeks. So the goal is to gain about 1.25 lbs per week.

Take it slow, plot out a graph of where you want your weight to be every week, and adjust Cals accordingly to stay on pace. If you're gaining too slowly, add in a few extra Cals.

I actually have a few questions about this. So I fluctuate a lot with water weight. my weight bounces between 218-225 ish depending on how much water I drank that day, when I ate my last meal, and when I had practice. Sometimes I’ll easily sweat 7-8 pounds in a single practice. it makes it hard to keep track of progress. Say if I weigh in at 225 one week, the next week I’m 224. I could’ve gained 3 pounds in bodyweight but have a 4 pound difference in water alone which makes me think I’m not eating enough.

what I have right now based on what the guy above told me:
5k cal weeks 1-3
5,500 cal weeks 4-6
6100 cal weeks 7-9
6700 cal weeks 10-12
7350 cal weeks 13-so on

Thinking about doing the same with my water.
1 gal. Weeks 1-4
1.5 gal. Weeks 4-8
2 gal. Weeks 9-so on.

I can change my calories and water intake accordingly week to week if I made a graph like you said. I just need to find a way to track progress more efficiently.

You guys helped me quite a bit with the nutrition side of things, still have a few things left with it though.

I also really need to figure out how to address a training program as well as supplements and what I should and shouldn’t be taking. these are my 2 subjects I’m not as knowledgeable on.

All advice welcome and much appreciated.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I actually have a few questions about this. So I fluctuate a lot with water weight. my weight bounces between 218-225 ish depending on how much water I drank that day, when I ate my last meal, and when I had practice. Sometimes I’ll easily sweat 7-8 pounds in a single practice. it makes it hard to keep track of progress. Say if I weigh in at 225 one week, the next week I’m 224. I could’ve gained 3 pounds in bodyweight but have a 4 pound difference in water alone which makes me think I’m not eating enough.

Weigh yourself every morning after you've gone to the bathroom. Take the average weights of a week and compare those. That'll filter out the "noise" of water weight.

As for Cals, I'd increase reactively, not proactively. If you're gaining decently at a certain calorie level, ride that out for as long as you can. When the weight gain starts to slow to a crawl, then increase by 300 or so. Save all your bullets for when you need them, you only have so many.

Reaction score
Weigh yourself every morning after you've gone to the bathroom. Take the average weights of a week and compare those. That'll filter out the "noise" of water weight.

As for Cals, I'd increase reactively, not proactively. If you're gaining decently at a certain calorie level, ride that out for as long as you can. When the weight gain starts to slow to a crawl, then increase by 300 or so. Save all your bullets for when you need them, you only have so many.
That makes sense. Thanks man.

supplements/lifting program advice anyone?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
That makes sense. Thanks man.

supplements/lifting program advice anyone?

If you wrestle year around, you know the toll that takes on you. Your training should complement that, not hinder it

I'm thinking a lower volume, lower rep program, maybe something like a 5/3/1 would be beneficial. You'll already be beat up and burning through Cals from wrestling, so I wouldn't do any crazy high volume, high rep program. Save the higher reps for accessory lifts.

Supplements piggy back off of nutriiton. When you want to lose weight, eating veggies and avoiding liquid carbs are good choices. You are trying to gain weight, so you want the opposite. You'll have to cut back on your veggie intake, purely because they take up so much too much room in the stomach, room that would be better utilized by higher calorie foods. So a good multi vitamin could be beneficial.

Also liquid calories are going to be helpful. Whole milk, ice cream, kids cereal with milk. Add some calories to your milk, I like grinding up oats in a coffee grinder and adding it to my milk. It goes down easy, and digests more quickly since the coffee grinder already breaks it down to a degree. Less chewing, which becomes monotonous during a weight gain phase.