Looking for advice with my routine

Reaction score
I started to lift to gain muscle for the first time in November. For the month of November I stuck to Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. I have done this program on and off over the years and it was my go to. I increased my calories during this time as well. Once December hit I was around 189. I received some advice from a trainer at my wife's gym and she put together a weight lifting program for me. This is the break down and the weight I'm pushing currently.

Shoulders:
DB slightly bent raise 15-17.5-20-25
DB shoulder press 25-30-35-45
DB front raise 15-20-22.5-25
Barbell Military press 50-70-90-100
Shrugs 40-50-60-70

Chest/Triceps:
Bench press 90-110-130-160
Incline press w DB 35-40-50-55
DB fly 15-20-25-30
Diamond push-ups (last set to failure)
Triceps dip(last set to failure)
skull crushers 34-45-55-60

Legs:
DB lunges 30-40-50-60
Squat 130-160-190-230
DB deadlifts (legs? though deadlifts =back?) 30-40-50-60
Hamstring curls (gave this up because awkward to do with free weights)
DB step-ups 20-30-40-50

Back/Biceps:
DB rows 40-50-60-70
DB pullover on bench 30-35-40-50
DB bent over fly 15-17.5-20-22.5
Barbell rows overhand 80-100-120-140
Barbell rows underhand 80-100-120-140
Curls 20-25-30-35
hammer curls 20-25-30-35

I was instructed to do 4 sets of 10-12. If I can do 10 on my last set increase weight next time. My routine is M-F rest on sat/sunday. Usually takes 1 hour for my workout. Here are the results for almost 2 months. First pic 180, second pic 195.

5-1-2020 #2 180lbs.jpg1-15-2021 #2 195lbs.jpg

5-1-2020 #6 180lbs.jpg1-15-2021 #6 195lbs.jpg
5-1-2020 #5 180lbs.jpg1-15-2021 #5 195lbs.jpg

Are these decent results for 2 months? I'm thinking about going to 210 before I cut. I'm a 34 waist and I don't want to buy new pants, lol. Bulk until they get tight then cut? lol. Trying for 3k calories + a day. Only supplements are 200mg caffeine in the morn and creatine once a day.

I also am struggling with how much weight I should be lifting. I know everyone says lift BIG! For an example once I start my 4th set of 160 on the bench I can't do more than 6 or 7, but I know my max is 180. Should I feel like I'm going to pop an aneurysm on my last set? I feel like there's a point of pushing that just isn't safe. How do you find that line? haha Should I always be ending with my max? Am I doing too many reps? Too many sets? Should I be doing any cardio? Any guidance is appreciated!

PS- Yes, I know, I'm a hairy f*ckin ape!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You thickened up a lot in the standing sideways photo. Your chest and upper back look 10x thicker. I'd be happy!!!

I don't hate the program, it's perfectly reasonable, even though I'd probably order some of the exercises differently.

And yes, the point of her program is to build up to a top set, so do as many GOOD reps as you can. Don't do ugly reps for the sake of getting another rep. For your benchpress question specifically, maybe a 30 lb jump to the top set is a bit too much, could drop back to 150 again and work up, but 6-7 reps isn't terrible.

If it were me, I'd want you be able to consistently get around 12 reps on that final set, and when you started faltering and could only get say 6 or so reps, I'd drop you back in weight to what you were doing 4-5 sessions ago, and work back up. Hopefully you'd be getting more reps than you got previously and be able to surpass the point where you faltered. And when you stalled again, repeat the process, almost like a wave pettern. Hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
You thickened up a lot in the standing sideways photo. Your chest and upper back look 10x thicker. I'd be happy!!!

I don't hate the program, it's perfectly reasonable, even though I'd probably order some of the exercises differently.

And yes, the point of her program is to build up to a top set, so do as many GOOD reps as you can. Don't do ugly reps for the sake of getting another rep. For your benchpress question specifically, maybe a 30 lb jump to the top set is a bit too much, could drop back to 150 again and work up, but 6-7 reps isn't terrible.

If it were me, I'd want you be able to consistently get around 12 reps on that final set, and when you started faltering and could only get say 6 or so reps, I'd drop you back in weight to what you were doing 4-5 sessions ago, and work back up. Hopefully you'd be getting more reps than you got previously and be able to surpass the point where you faltered. And when you stalled again, repeat the process, almost like a wave pettern. Hope that makes sense.
\

Thanks for the feedback. What order would you change? I'm open to suggestions. Also I'm gonna try a suggestion I read on here in another thread. When benching try to "bend" the bar. It will help keep my arms tucked and maybe some better results.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
\

Thanks for the feedback. What order would you change? I'm open to suggestions. Also I'm gonna try a suggestion I read on here in another thread. When benching try to "bend" the bar. It will help keep my arms tucked and maybe some better results.

I personally would put the big compound lifts first, and do 8's for a rep range with them. Then the accessory lifts afterwards doing the 10-12 rep range you've been doing. This way you're progressing the main lifts, then the accessory lifts afterwards to finish off the muscles.

So Presses and Rows before Flyes and Raises. I don't hate the Lunges before Squats though, it's a good warmup. You could do DB RDLs instead of DB Deadlifts to really hit the hamstrings, since you dropped the Leg Curls. Just keep a nice flat back, don't round it for extra ROM.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I also am struggling with how much weight I should be lifting. I know everyone says lift BIG! For an example once I start my 4th set of 160 on the bench I can't do more than 6 or 7, but I know my max is 180. Should I feel like I'm going to pop an aneurysm on my last set? I feel like there's a point of pushing that just isn't safe. How do you find that line? haha Should I always be ending with my max? Am I doing too many reps? Too many sets? Should I be doing any cardio? Any guidance is appreciated!

You never know how much is enough until you know how much is too much.

As for the program, I think in some time, your shoulder and tris will get cranky with you; program screams overtraining. Also work with the bar first and then move to the DB. On leg day, squat first. Hell I don't care if it's all you do for your upper legs providing you leave nothing in the tank.

You'll do just fine in time.

Reaction score
I personally would put the big compound lifts first, and do 8's for a rep range with them. Then the accessory lifts afterwards doing the 10-12 rep range you've been doing. This way you're progressing the main lifts, then the accessory lifts afterwards to finish off the muscles.

So Presses and Rows before Flyes and Raises. I don't hate the Lunges before Squats though, it's a good warmup. You could do DB RDLs instead of DB Deadlifts to really hit the hamstrings, since you dropped the Leg Curls. Just keep a nice flat back, don't round it for extra ROM.

So 8 reps with bench press/squat? I think that will help me push more weight with my final set. Less muscle fatigue. Any other ones i should switch to 8? I'll try the RDL's. Doesn't seem as awkward as the DB deadlifts.

Reaction score
You never know how much is enough until you know how much is too much.

As for the program, I think in some time, your shoulder and tris will get cranky with you; program screams overtraining. Also work with the bar first and then move to the DB. On leg day, squat first. Hell I don't care if it's all you do for your upper legs providing you leave nothing in the tank.

You'll do just fine in time.

So do the lifts that use the bar before DB's? What about skull crushers? I was gonna switch it up and go bench press>DB press> skull crushers but I may switch the skull crushers with DB press.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
So do the lifts that use the bar before DB's? What about skull crushers? I was gonna switch it up and go bench press>DB press> skull crushers but I may switch the skull crushers with DB press.
Yes, bar before DB's.

I don't think that would matter either way. I don't do skull crushers, there's something about them that causes some nasty tendon issues in about a month of doing them.

Reaction score
Yes, bar before DB's.

I don't think that would matter either way. I don't do skull crushers, there's something about them that causes some nasty tendon issues in about a month of doing them.

Elbow or shoulder? Im fighting with soreness in my left elbow and right shoulder. Trying to pinpoint what movement is irritating them.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Elbow or shoulder? Im fighting with soreness in my left elbow and right shoulder. Trying to pinpoint what movement is irritating them.

Elbow. If caught early, 2 weeks of voodoo flossing will make me right as rain. I just stay away from them.

Reaction score
Your progress looks great. Keep it up!

The only thing that sticks out to me is that the range of weight she has you working with seems to be a lot. For example:

I like to stick to a 6-12 rep range for hypertrophy. I'm going for aesthetics more than strength training though (a lot of people use lower reps heavier weight for strength and powerlifting). I like CJ's advice on rep ranges a lot also, as I kind of follow that as well.

But with the weight ranges you're working with here it seems like a lot is going to be "left in the tank" on those first few lifts.

I'd like to finish out my last set at 6-8 reps to failure (failure meaning I'm at my limit, can't do anymore). On the DB shoulder press, I'd only use one or two of those weights at the most, and one weight would be fine as long as I'm staying in my goal rep range.

So I might do DB Shoulder Press 40's x 12, 10, 8, 6 *or* say I start with 40's and easily get 12 reps on set 2, I might move up to 45's and it would look something like this: 40's x 12, 12, 45's x 8, 6.

So there are a few times when I'll change the weight I'm working with. One might be to stay in my desired rep range, and then another time I'll do it is when I've done my main sets and want to either push myself more or do some drop sets to kind of burn out the muscle. It seems odd that she has you using so many different weights.

Reaction score
Your progress looks great. Keep it up!

The only thing that sticks out to me is that the range of weight she has you working with seems to be a lot. For example:

I like to stick to a 6-12 rep range for hypertrophy. I'm going for aesthetics more than strength training though (a lot of people use lower reps heavier weight for strength and powerlifting). I like CJ's advice on rep ranges a lot also, as I kind of follow that as well.

But with the weight ranges you're working with here it seems like a lot is going to be "left in the tank" on those first few lifts.

I'd like to finish out my last set at 6-8 reps to failure (failure meaning I'm at my limit, can't do anymore). On the DB shoulder press, I'd only use one or two of those weights at the most, and one weight would be fine as long as I'm staying in my goal rep range.

So I might do DB Shoulder Press 40's x 12, 10, 8, 6 *or* say I start with 40's and easily get 12 reps on set 2, I might move up to 45's and it would look something like this: 40's x 12, 12, 45's x 8, 6.

So there are a few times when I'll change the weight I'm working with. One might be to stay in my desired rep range, and then another time I'll do it is when I've done my main sets and want to either push myself more or do some drop sets to kind of burn out the muscle. It seems odd that she has you using so many different weights.

The weight is all me. I'm a novice so i thought that was the thing to do. Start with a low weight then work up the weight with each set.

So for the DB press i would do 25 x 10, then 30 x 10, 35 x 10 and then 45 x 10. If i got to 10 on the 45 i would kick the weight up for next time. So maybe ill start with 30 and jump to 35>45>50.

Yes, i have no issues with the first few sets. So i should stick with a heavier weight for all my sets? Thanks for the tip. This makes sense.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yes, i have no issues with the first few sets. So i should stick with a heavier weight for all my sets? Thanks for the tip. This makes sense.

If you do decide to do this, take it slow. Right now, of your 4 sets, only 1-2 would be considered "work sets". If you immediately switch to all 4 sets at heavier weight, your work sets will increase 100%-300%. That's too big to do at once, it'll come back to bite you in the ass.

A better way to do it would be to treat the first 3 sets that you're going now as warmups, and only do enough reps to get the feel for that weight, something like 5 reps for example. Then do TWO top sets at the top weight in the desired rep range.

Do that for awhile, and only add more sets if needed. More isn't always better, in fact it usually isn't. Usually better form and higher intensity of effort is better.

Reaction score
The weight is all me. I'm a novice so i thought that was the thing to do. Start with a low weight then work up the weight with each set.

So for the DB press i would do 25 x 10, then 30 x 10, 35 x 10 and then 45 x 10. If i got to 10 on the 45 i would kick the weight up for next time. So maybe ill start with 30 and jump to 35>45>50.

It seems like a lot of wasted reps/sets/time that way (using such lighter weight for 2-3 sets). I would personally do one warm up set, light weight, for each muscle group (not for each exercise), and more working sets with heavier weight while staying in my desired rep range. It just seems more efficient, in other words the muscle will be getting a better workout in less time.

***BUT*** if you're progressing well, keep that in your back pocket for when you hit a plateau. Don't stop what you're doing as long as you are making good progress. And CJ is our resident guru, so listen to him first lol.

Reaction score
Dude you look great. What a transformation! Keep it up bro!! Man, I’ve said this for a few years, but I truly truly do not believe going heavy, builds the most muscle. I believe hypertrophy does. I believe the best form during exercise builds the best muscle. I believe takin sets to failure makes the greatest impact. I use to go huge on my lifts. Like, 3 rep max type sh**. And I’m not even 35 years old but my body feels like I’m 45. I pop and crackle when I walk. It takes me 15min to warm up because I hurt. I really screwed my self up, early on in my lifting career. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a hell of a lot leaner now than I’ve ever been (we can contribute that to diet and high rep/burning more calories) but I feel the best I’ve ever felt. I have significantly more definitions now than ever before. And sure you can say I’ve become much wiser as I’ve grown over the last decade. But with wisdom comes this gem nugget right here: KNOW YOUR LIMITS. and don’t lift with your ego in mind. Lift with tomorrow in sight. By this I mean: train with PERFECT form. It’s a whole lot easier to thwart injury with proper form, than it is tossing a lot of weight around.

Reaction score
I took some advice from the feedback and switched up my routine a little. I'm now going to do 6 sets, but with 3 "working sets" I like the idea of a light warm-up to get a feel for the weights with each exercise. So I now will do 5 x 3 x 2 then three working sets with my top weight. I will shoot for 8 reps with my bigger compound lifts and 12 for my flys/raises. If I can easily do 3 working sets hitting my 8 or 12 on the last, I'll bump up the weight for next time. I also changed the order around a bit too.

Shoulders:
Barbell Military press 50-60-70-90
Shrugs 40-50-60-70
DB shoulder press 25-30-35-40
DB slightly bent raise 15-17.5-20-25
DB front raise 15-20-22.5-25

Chest/Triceps:
Bench press 90-110-130-150
skull crushers 40-50-55-60
Incline press w DB 40-50-55-60
Diamond push-ups (last set to failure)
DB fly 20-25-30-35