Knee EXPLOSION. What's the worst gym accident you've witnessed?

Kellkell26

Lady Member
Reaction score
I was doing lunges today when a crash and crying noise made me look over. A girl and her man were unloading/loading the bar and he took his side off too fast. It was a good bit of weight that snapped down on her knee and pulverized that shit. Blood was everywhere. I looked quickly but didn't want to crowd so moved on. BUT DAMNNN! I couldn't lift heavy for the rest of my workout! Made me wonder what yall have seen over the years and any wisdom you can give newer people like me to prevent that shit or dangerous mistakes you see often.I always workout alone so I never even thought about that!.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Never seen any real gore in this context. In high school a guy's spotter, while doing bench press, effed up and the bar came down on the guy's forehead. It didn't mess him up for life or anything. He was my fullback and the starting middle linebacker and couldn't put his helmet on without pain for like three weeks.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I dislocated my patella in football around the time I started lifting. My knee cap slipped down to my ankle.

I was practicing a play in locker with other teammates. Slipped and blew my knee out. I tried to get up by my leg didnt work, I looked down and it was fuked.

A coach tried to guide me in slipping it back into place, it was the worst pain I felt in my life. Nothing compares to it. I lied on the ground for an hour before a ambulance came.

Every bump in the road my leg would tense up and I had a bone crushing pain. I could feel it going up and down my leg.

It was a hour or so of a ride, I was screaming the whole time. No one familiar. Once I got into the hospital I had to wait for a xray. I waited 9 hours in total mostly alone in a room. It took everything not to tense up from the pain because that would make it 10 times worse. They couldnt give me any real pain medicine or anesthesia because I had to be conscious to put my knee back in place.

Begged anyone just to help me, then finally a nurse came in. She put my knee back in place, was the worst thing Ive ever experienced. It didn't even register.

It desensitized pain for me, I popped my knee out twice after that, not as serious. But I just put it back myself. I lost all the muscle in my left leg. Had nightmares every night for more than a year about it. I still have bursts of awful memories from it.

Its just bound to happen in lifting or sports, youre lucky if you can avoid it. You just have to move on past it if you can.

Last edited:

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Didn't witness it, but there's a video of a guy hyperextending on the leg press and it folds his knee completely backwards.

Pretty horrifying.

Kellkell26

Lady Member
Reaction score
I dislocated my patella in football around the time I started lifting. My knee cap slipped down to my ankle.

I was practicing a play in locker with other teammates. Slipped and blew my knee out. I tried to get up by my leg didnt work, I looked down and it was fuked.

A coach tried to guide me in slipping it back into place, it was the worst pain I felt in my life. Nothing compares to it. I lied on the ground for an hour before a ambulance came.

Every bump in the road my leg would tense up and I had a bone crushing pain. I could feel it going up and down my leg.

It was a hour or so of a ride, I was screaming the whole time. No one familiar. Once I got into the hospital I had to wait for a xray. I waited 9 hours in total mostly alone in a room. It took everything not to tense up from the pain because that would make it 10 times worse. They couldnt give me any real pain medicine or anesthesia because I had to be conscious to put my knee back in place.

Begged anyone just to help me, then finally a nurse came in. She put my knee back in place, was the worst thing Ive ever experienced. It didn't even register.

It desensitized pain for me, I popped my knee out twice after that, not as serious. But I just put it back myself. I lost all the muscle in my left leg. Had nightmares every night for more than a year about it. I still have bursts of awful memories from it.

Its just bound to happen in lifting or sports, youre lucky if you can avoid it. You just have to move on past it if you can.

Dude thats a HUGE fear of mine!!! I've always had knee pain, mostly in right knee and all they said as a teenager was "shallow knee caps" and "inflamed" idk wtf that means but it has kinda popped out of place and it hurt BAD. Definitely looking at knee sleeves on Amazon after reading that. I've seen shoulder dislocations and that shit sucks too

Kellkell26

Lady Member
Reaction score

This is scarier than any horror film out there! I ALWAYS see young guys loading up the leg press with every damn plate in the gym just to do one quarter rep. Another thing I've seen lately are horrible spotters. I saw a skinny guy struggling on the bench yesterday (its was leaning over) and his spotter was just standing there with his hands in his pockets. It was like a slow-mo train wreck waiting to happen!

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
This is scarier than any horror film out there! I ALWAYS see young guys loading up the leg press with every damn plate in the gym just to do one quarter rep. Another thing I've seen lately are horrible spotters. I saw a skinny guy struggling on the bench yesterday (its was leaning over) and his spotter was just standing there with his hands in his pockets. It was like a slow-mo train wreck waiting to happen!

I watched it again before I posted it, and it's just as awful as the first time I watched it.

I had to warn a kid just the other day about this. He was using the press and locking his knees out at the top, no spotter, no nothing.

Kellkell26

Lady Member
Reaction score
I watched it again before I posted it, and it's just as awful as the first time I watched it.

I had to warn a kid just the other day about this. He was using the press and locking his knees out at the top, no spotter, no nothing.

I lock my knees a little when I use the legpress for calves. Should I stop that? I don't put a bunch of weight for calves. Follow up, on hack squats and leg press I sometimes do drop sets and take one plate off a side at a time. I don't feel a difference on one side or the other but now I'm wondering if thats bad too?

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
I lock my knees a little when I use the legpress for calves. Should I stop that? I don't put a bunch of weight for calves. Follow up, on hack squats and leg press I sometimes do drop sets and take one plate off a side at a time. I don't feel a difference on one side or the other but now I'm wondering if thats bad too?

I'm no expert, but I would say please be careful!

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
With over 30 years in the gym, I have only seen a few big hits. Watching a guy tear his pinky finger offf on flat DB press by dropping the weights when done and his partner left his DB lying under the bench. Took the finger right off.

seen 2 different guy tear their biceps off on preacher curls. Both rolled up. 1 passed out the other barely felt it. Both needed surgery

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

You're fine, it's the silly weight where it gets sketchy, or when locking the weight out explosively it kinda comes back down on you with a locked out knee. Hope that makes sense.

The hack and leg press are on rails, so any difference in weight side to side is absorbed by the machine. The machine may get a little wear and tear, but it's still on a track so you'll be fine.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
With over 30 years in the gym, I have only seen a few big hits. Watching a guy tear his pinky finger offf on flat DB press by dropping the weights when done and his partner left his DB lying under the bench. Took the finger right off.

seen 2 different guy tear their biceps off on preacher curls. Both rolled up. 1 passed out the other barely felt it. Both needed surgery

I did the same damn thing. Only the tip of my finger though, hanging in by a thread. They stitched it back. Still looks funny.

Clear your dumbbells from under the bench!

Kellkell26

Lady Member
Reaction score
I did the same damn thing. Only the tip of my finger though, hanging in by a thread. They stitched it back. Still looks funny.

Clear your dumbbells from under the bench!

I leave dbs under the bench a lot, never thought of that Hazzard but I have tripped over them and fell on my ass haha. Guess I'll be changing some bad habits . On that note, is there a certain way you're supposed to drop the weights? I usually try to sit up with them but sometimes that makes my shoulder feel wonky

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I leave dbs under the bench a lot, never thought of that Hazzard but I have tripped over them and fell on my ass haha. Guess I'll be changing some bad habits . On that note, is there a certain way you're supposed to drop the weights? I usually try to sit up with them but sometimes that makes my shoulder feel wonky

If they’re heavy enough and you’re going to failure you just got to let them go.

If you don’t want to drop them put them right above your knee (standing up) on your thigh and then sit up.

don’t sit up with the weights in your hands.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve ever seen any horrific injuries in the gym. I do have a fear of having a loaded leg press come down on both knees while resting between set though. I make damn sure the safeties are locked in.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was competing in a Powerlifting meet and watched Derek Poundstone tear his quad off the bone on a 750lb opening squat. Was a mind **** to keep squatting after seeing that. I've seen some crushed fingers in racks and whatnot. But the quad tear was the worst to me. I was standing just off the platform and heard the pop and watched him go down hard.

I tore my own adductor off the bone doing speed squats. I still watch the video every now and then if I want to see some gore....

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Didn't witness it, but there's a video of a guy hyperextending on the leg press and it folds his knee completely backwards.

Pretty horrifying.

Iv seen that exact video he’s legpressing like 600 pounds and his legs just fold like spaghetti.
enough to put you off lifting for life.
all these other stories also sound incredibly gruesome.

Last edited:

New Threads