When to cut?

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but I want to get some feedback for myself. I started at 180 and now at 200lbs. I started my bulk around 17% BF approx. I'm starting to feel a little chunky in my stomach. Pants are getting a little snug, but have a little more room. I know when you cut you will lose muscle. Do folks tend to go as big as they can then cut? Do some do smaller cycles and cut at 20lbs? Do some go by BF%? I don't think I want to go past 215 before my first cut. But thought about 210 as my cutting point. Also do most start their bulk again right after they stop their cut, or should there be a maintenance period?

As a two part question when do you stop your cut? I'm thinking if I started at 180 and got to 210, the goal is to not cut down to your starting weight right? In theory I should have put on and retained enough muscle where if I hit 190ish I should have less BF than I did at 180, even though I'm 10lbs heavier. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but this whole process is f*ckin with me because I've been so conscious about my weight for many years. It's been a mental struggle to even consider gaining weight. But I know if I want to build muscle and get stronger, this is the way.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
You don't have to sacrifice muscle to loose fat.

Drop your calories 200-300 for a few weeks but leave your protein untouched or even raise it a bit.

If you don't lose weight, drop another 200.

Losing muscle while cutting is what happens when someone doesn't know what they are doing.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I just looked again at your pics, and I'd say the best way to lower your bf% number would be to add some muscle. If you gain some muscle, even if your fat stays the same, your bf% drops. Plus, you'll look 100x better.

Reaction score
You don't have to sacrifice muscle to loose fat.

Drop your calories 200-300 for a few weeks but leave your protein untouched or even raise it a bit.

If you don't lose weight, drop another 200.

Losing muscle while cutting is what happens when someone doesn't know what they are doing.

I'm assuming I'm going to want to switch to high cardio, but how often should I lift when cutting? I typically can burn 600 cals in 45min on elliptical. Should I sub in a day of lifting or could i replace with calisthenics?

Reaction score
I just looked again at your pics, and I'd say the best way to lower your bf% number would be to add some muscle. If you gain some muscle, even if your fat stays the same, your bf% drops. Plus, you'll look 100x better.

Yeah I'm going to continue to eat the same and lift. We'll see what another 10-15lbs looks like.

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
What I did was jumped from 190-210. Dirty bulk. Lift like a mad man. If you don’t wake up sore for at least 2 days, you could have gone harder. If you’re sore for 3 days, probably went too hard. It’s a balance and you really gotta learn your body. My goal is to drop back down close to 190 and see how much more muscle I’ve actually put on since my last cut. If you can put on 5lbs pure muscle in a 20lb bulk, you’ve done well. But this also depends on a few factors. Where you at your genetic potential? Plateau? You really need to know your body. There’s no reason to lose muscle during a cut. You may lose water and fat but not muscle.

andy

Elite
Reaction score
ima just answer to the Q.

- once u don't see your own dick looking down and u need mirror for that , then u start cutting bro.

Reactions: CJ

BrotherIron

Reaction score
You know me... I'm a big fan of eating your way through plateaus. I say bulk, hold that weight for 4months, and then you can cut. If you don't hold the new weight for a substantial period you won't hold onto the new gains. You need your body to change it's set point.

Reaction score
You’re looking at this wrong. First I wouldn’t have “bulked” at 17% bf. Also, yes when you cut down you probably should cut to less than you started. Weight is a marker but it’s not the end all be all. Body composition is important. Get ripped and then push back to 180 slowly but with the goal of being a better, leaner 180. Chasing the scale will most likely just make you fat.
I think you would benefit from hiring a decent local coach and working with them.

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but I want to get some feedback for myself. I started at 180 and now at 200lbs. I started my bulk around 17% BF approx. I'm starting to feel a little chunky in my stomach. Pants are getting a little snug, but have a little more room. I know when you cut you will lose muscle. Do folks tend to go as big as they can then cut? Do some do smaller cycles and cut at 20lbs? Do some go by BF%? I don't think I want to go past 215 before my first cut. But thought about 210 as my cutting point. Also do most start their bulk again right after they stop their cut, or should there be a maintenance period?

As a two part question when do you stop your cut? I'm thinking if I started at 180 and got to 210, the goal is to not cut down to your starting weight right? In theory I should have put on and retained enough muscle where if I hit 190ish I should have less BF than I did at 180, even though I'm 10lbs heavier. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but this whole process is f*ckin with me because I've been so conscious about my weight for many years. It's been a mental struggle to even consider gaining weight. But I know if I want to build muscle and get stronger, this is the way.
Just dont do it