Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Originally Posted by Ortiz7983 View Post
    I need to get me a body fat caliper. Anyone recommend a certain one?
    One where the tips have flat surfaces for a even pinch, many are almost pointed and will push in which can artificially increase your readings.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lfod14 For This Useful Post:

Send0 (04-11-2021)

Thanks
    If using calipers, I always liked the parillo 9 sote formula. However it can be difficult to hit all the target sites if you're doing the measurements by yourself.

Lately I'm too lazy to be bothered, I'm not competing on stage or have any reason to be completely peeled. So instead I just kind of eyeball things based on where I know I keep my body fat and how I look in the mirror.

DEXA is probably the most accurate way to measure body fat if you're already lean. However, there are lots of cases where DEXA is off by +/- 5% body fat. For example, the picture of this guy says his DEXA was ,7% body fat. You'll notice he's semi skinny fat. There's no way this person is 7% bf...or even 10% for that matter. If I had to guess, I'd say he's somewhere between 12% - 15%.

This isn't to say DEXA scans aren't a good tool; it absolutely is... I'm only highlighting that nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited by Send0; 04-11-2021 at 02:11 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Send0 For This Useful Post:

Not2quick (04-14-2021)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Send0 View Post
    If using calipers, I always liked the parillo 9 sote formula. However it can be difficult to hit all the target sites if you're doing the measurements by yourself.

Lately I'm too lazy to be bothered, I'm not competing on stage or have any reason to be completely peeled. So instead I just kind of eyeball things based on where I know I keep my body fat and how I look in the mirror.

DEXA is probably the most accurate way to measure body fat if you're already lean. However, there are lots of cases where DEXA is off by +/- 5% body fat. For example, the picture of this guy says his DEXA was ,7% body fat. You'll notice he's semi skinny fat. There's no way this person is 7% bf...or even 10% for that matter. If I had to guess, I'd say he's somewhere between 12% - 15%.

This isn't to say DEXA scans aren't a good tool; it absolutely is... I'm only highlighting that nothing is guaranteed.

Exactly, when it comes to body fat DEXA and BodPod are both extremely close, I just had a DEXA last week because I got an awesome deal with a combined RMR but when Iíve done both back to back theyíve been nearly identical. Most of the time itís not worth paying to find out what your bone density is, although seeing the muscle imbalances is kinda cool.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Ortiz7983 View Post
    I need to get me a body fat caliper. Anyone recommend a certain one?
    We used Lange calipers in college.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12