Body fat % InBody scale

Reaction score
I studied sports medicine in college and we used Lange calipers to measure body fat. We also had a pretty fancy machine that did the same thing. It looked like a big tube, like when getting an MRI. It gave bone density, body fat, lean muscle, etc.

My wifes gym has an InBody scale that claims to be 98% accurate. I just did my first reading in 2 months. I gained 10lbs and 3 lbs was lean muscle. Body fat went from 19 to 21% though. If accurate, is 3lbs lean mass on 10lbs a good gain?

Anyone else use the InBody? How do you measure your body fat %

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Any scale that claims to measure your bodyfat is lying. It uses an algorithm that takes your age, height and weight to make up a fictitious number. It is no different than going to the doctors office at 250lbs with abs and being told that your BMI is over 30% and you are obese.

Maybe at some point in the future, there will be a scale that has the ability to shoot some type of vibration/sonar through your entire body with the ability to distinguish the difference between bone mass, fat mass, muscle mass and fluid mass but it doesn't exist in 2021.

There are devices that can give you accurate information on bodyfat percentages but it will take more than a magic beam shooting through you feet to get anything close to actual results.

Here are few ways to get accurate bodyfat measurements:

Skinfold calipers, BCM(Body Circumference Measurements, DXA(Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry, Hydrostatic weighing or a Bod Pod(Air Displacement Plethysmography). There are a few others but these will be the most accurate.

I would imagine that you have a college nearby. I found a DXA at a University here that do these scans a few times per week for $50. I would think that you could find the same results where you live if you are wanting accurate data.

Don't bother with those scales.

Reaction score
Here is what OP is talking about:

https://inbodyusa.com/products/inbody570/

It actually does some type of composition analysis using electrical impedence through your body when you hold onto the control arms.

I have used them a few times, one of my gyms had them.

That being said, I don't think it was that accurate based on the bodyfat percentage it calculates and most of the percentage charts available that show real life examples of what different bf% looks like. It measured pretty high for me at times when I'm sure I was pretty low (calipers barely had anything to grab onto).

But I do think it is a good measurement tool despite that because it does do some type of composition analysis and the changes over time could be used to gauge relative progress. So if you're not hung up on a specific BF% number, then use it to measure progress.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I've always found the mirror to be a pretty good indicator of my conditioning. Never been to a bodybuilding show where all the competitors shout out their body fat percentages. And nobody has ever asked me what my body fat percentage was. Just sayin...

Are you getting stronger? Do you look more muscular? Congratulations, mission accomplished.

Reaction score
bigswole

I agree with your BMI senareo. That is an algorithm.

Yes the DXA or DEXA is what i was talking about. Just couldn't remember the name.

The InBody scale claimes to have similar accuracy as a DEXA. Obviously other facters can distort results. Wish i could find some peer reviewed medical journals comparing the two. Maybe i should shoot my old excersise science professor an email.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to measure progress. Each one is a tool that has its place and limitaions.

I personally use:
tape measure
scale
bf calipers
mirror

Haven't used an inBody in over a year, but I would out of curiosity if I had access to one.

Reaction score
Can I just say; I like calipers. They're easy to use, fairly inexpensive and I believe them to be the most accurate.
Every scale i hop on to (my wife's, in particular, super fancy) measure my weight and bmi but every time i step on it, it gives me these skewed numbers of how much of my total weight is muscle, water, and fat (30% btw) That thing says I'm extremely overweight for my height. Lol. All the while, those good ol pinchers say I'm less than 12%.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Here's what it boils down to. The number really doesn't matter, but if you absolutely need to know it, then you want to go with the most accurate method that we have available to us, DEXA scan.

If you're not going to use the most accurate tool, then why even bother? Just stick to calipers to gauge fat thickness, the mirror to assess visual changes, and your weight on the scale to tie it all together into a more complete picture of progress.

Reaction score
The only accurate way to know your bf% is to literally boil you and sift out the fat.
It’s really an arbitrary thing in my opinion. I like to take pics to gauge fat loss and keep track of my fattest area. When your fattest area is lean then you’re pretty damn lean.

Reactions: CJ

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
Our gym uses an InBody 570 which uses bioelectrical impedance and is supposedly 98% accurate compared to Dexa. I've read differing opinions on that but I've had 2 scans in the past 3 months and both results of BF analysis matched pretty closely to what I looked like compared to photo comparisons you see on the net of different BF levels. I went from 23.3% to 14.4%.

lfod14

Reaction score
Maybe at some point in the future, there will be a scale that has the ability to shoot some type of vibration/sonar through your entire body with the ability to distinguish the difference between bone mass, fat mass, muscle mass and fluid mass but it doesn't exist in 2021.

That's exactly what the InBody is doing, just with electrical impulses. Unlike a bathroom scale that claims to do it InBody is doing it from both the hands and feet and doing it that way makes it much more accurate. Like an at home bathroom scale it can be off by really dry skin or being dehydrated too much but the last couple times I did it, it agreed with my BodPod readings that were within a week of it. It's close enough that it's pretty reliable to go by, should be given they cost like $8k.

lfod14

Reaction score
Our gym uses an InBody 570 which uses bioelectrical impedance and is supposedly 98% accurate compared to Dexa. I've read differing opinions on that but I've had 2 scans in the past 3 months and both results of BF analysis matched pretty closely to what I looked like compared to photo comparisons you see on the net of different BF levels. I went from 23.3% to 14.4%.

Same results here, as long as your skin is hydrated (as well as you) they're very accurate. They only have a bad association with people because people associate any scale with BIA technology with the crap in cheap bathroom scales.

MuscleMedicineMD

Reaction score
J4BpMFLl.jpg

DEXA verified 4.5% (some guy on internet)

MuscleMedicineMD

Reaction score
The Supreme Guide To Body Fat Percentage With Pictures & Charts - King of the Gym

(Girl looking over my shoulder at pic (above) stated "that guy has awful shape! he looks like.." I agree muscle shape genetics are poor but girls can be so harsh ya know?!)

'Picture Bf% guides' on the internet tend to UNDERestimate BF% greatly.. This link has 100's VERIFIED %, here are a few pics from this article all on BF.
mAHdffLl.jpg

6.2%

MuscleMedicineMD

Reaction score
(edit time ran out:/)
I highly recommend lookin through 20+ photos of BF%; some look completely wrong, but the Results are there!
ie. 8.8% that you would swear is 6%!
It will also give you an appreciation for proBBer's basic shape (putting muscle size aside), some of these guys have the thickest obliques and widest hips I have ever seen on men (with low%)... There are female pics I believe too.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Bioimpedance scales aren't accurate. I have a friend who competes at the National level and before hitting the stage it read he was 17% bf. Stick the Lange calipers or get a Dexa scan.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Here's what it boils down to. The number really doesn't matter, but if you absolutely need to know it, then you want to go with the most accurate method that we have available to us, DEXA scan.

If you're not going to use the most accurate tool, then why even bother? Just stick to calipers to gauge fat thickness, the mirror to assess visual changes, and your weight on the scale to tie it all together into a more complete picture of progress.

Use the calipers as a ref point. As long as the numbers are going in the right direction then progress is being made. Also, take measurements.

Reaction score
I need to get me a body fat caliper. Anyone recommend a certain one?

New Threads