Bicep Distal Tendon Surgery

Reaction score
So, I had this surgery November 5, 2020. I got a full release not too long ago but was told I could not do heavy lifting for at least a year. I did some exercises and my forearm started hurting. I took some Ibuprofen and the discomfort went away. This morning I got up and my arm hurt to pronate it. I have never had a major surgery that required this much recovery and it is frustrating.

I think the most confusing thing for me is trying to wrap my head around the idea that light weight can achieve a bulk the same as heavy weight.

Has anyone ever had to do extremely light resistance training in the past while nursing an injury?

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Do you have any sort of pt? I would follow the doctors orders, better to have the injury heal fully then lift. Rather then reinjure it trying to train too early. You should really ask your doctor not us

Heres a icing protocol I found
  • Put ice or a cold pack on your arm for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Try to do this every 1 to 2 hours for the next 3 days (when you are awake) or until the swelling goes down. Put a thin cloth between the ice and your skin.
  • Prop up your arm on a pillow when you ice it or anytime you lie down during the next 3 days. Try to keep it above the level of your heart. This will help reduce swelling.

Heres a pdf on pt goals after the surgery https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/sportsmed/Distal Biceps Tendon Repair Rehab.pdf

Reaction score
Do you have any sort of pt? I would follow the doctors orders, better to have the injury heal fully then lift. Rather then reinjure it trying to train too early. You should really ask your doctor not us

Heres a icing protocol I found
  • Put ice or a cold pack on your arm for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Try to do this every 1 to 2 hours for the next 3 days (when you are awake) or until the swelling goes down. Put a thin cloth between the ice and your skin.
  • Prop up your arm on a pillow when you ice it or anytime you lie down during the next 3 days. Try to keep it above the level of your heart. This will help reduce swelling.

Baylor Scott & White kind of screwed me. The original Ortho that did my Initial exam, MRI, and surgery moved back north and a new young Ortho took over. He told me he wasn’t familiar with how my original surgeon performed my surgery and was a little apprehensive about releasing me. My scar is 4 inches long and his incisions are less than a 1/4 inch. I guess my original surgeon did his procedure the old school way. On my last post op (10 weeks) he fully released me. I saw a therapist at the hospital and ended therapy a week ago. She apprised me I may have pulled on the tendon while it was still healing to the bone. Kind of like a scab being ripped.

I spoke to a trainer at the local gym near me and he mentioned focusing on stretching more because my tendons and ligaments need to get stronger. I don’t trust people that you have to pay to get answers.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I wouldnt really trust a trainer for advice on post surgery rehab. I would ask specifically about resistance training to your doctor.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not push it. Reinjuring yourself will set you back months.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
I had a complete distal rupture in I think '15 and my Dr wouldn't release me until I eventually dead lifted like 495. The ortho is a friend of the family and he's like "I know how insane you all are. I'll release you back to work when I know it's completely ready or else you will screw this up." I don't remember exactly how long pt was but we started super light and literally worked up to 495lb deads.

Reactions: Jin