Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member ATLRigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    MIA>LA>ATL
    Posts
    766
    Thanks
    881
    Thanked 354 Times in 234 Posts

    Powerlifting categories

    Does anybody care to write up a thread discussing the different categories?
    multiply, single ply, raw with wraps, raw without wraps?
    If you must wear a singlet, seems like youíre automatically entering into single ply unless u have a multiply singlet, no?

  2. #2
    Moderator BrotherIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adrenaline Alley
    Posts
    1,642
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 955 Posts
    Originally Posted by ATLRigger View Post
    Does anybody care to write up a thread discussing the different categories?
    multiply, single ply, raw with wraps, raw without wraps?
    If you must wear a singlet, seems like you’re automatically entering into single ply unless u have a multiply singlet, no?
    A singlet is NOTHING like single ply. Single ply is a not a simple, stretchy, elastic material that makes up a singlet. Single ply is restrictive, supportive, and provides a good deal of support/ aid in perform lifts. It's also not easy to get into gear even single ply gear. Try putting on a comp tight pair of single ply briefs and let me know how easy it is.... it's not. And it's HARDER to squat in than without them BUT if you can learn how to properly use it, it'll add A LOT of pounds to your lift (I'm not talking 30, 40 pounds either).

    Supportive gear isn't easy like so many think. You're technique has to be flawless when you begin wearing gear.

    You have to specify the federation because there are even differences between them.
    Last edited by BrotherIron; 02-20-2021 at 07:12 PM.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to BrotherIron For This Useful Post:

    ATLRigger (02-20-2021)

  4. #3
    Veteran snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    9,941
    Thanks
    6,930
    Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,676 Posts
    Raw with knee wraps is sometimes called Raw Modern.

    BI hit most of the highlights but I would like to emphasize what he said about using equipment. Its different and if not worked up too, will end badly. Good chance the equipment will take some weight off the bar until you get use to it.

    I personally found no use for anything over a single ply. Seeing guys using a double ply denim I thought was a bit over the top. I did most of my career as Raw Modern and 2 full meets completely raw. Truthfully training with no knee wraps and singling heavy weight is just not smart. My knees paid for months.

    For me, what I could touch and go on the bench equaled what I could pause in a single ply bench shirt.

    As for a DL suit, it was of little use to me so I never competed with one.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesnít work hard.

  5. #4
    Senior Member ATLRigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    MIA>LA>ATL
    Posts
    766
    Thanks
    881
    Thanked 354 Times in 234 Posts
    Ok thanks, these are both very relevant.
    Sounds like i need to get my hands on a singlet just to compete even in raw across several federations.
    I donít currently use knee wraps, so Iíll do some digging and try to get comfortable with them.
    I still havenít bought a belt yet either. Pioneer is in Texas and theyíve been out of commission since we talked last about a belt, Snake.

    BrotherIron: is there any special breathing technique that you use when lifting with a belt?
    Snake says not to overthink it.
    Last edited by ATLRigger; 02-21-2021 at 06:50 AM.

  6. #5
    Elite Metalhead1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,180
    Thanks
    3,450
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Originally Posted by ATLRigger View Post
    BrotherIron: is there any special breathing technique that you use when lifting with a belt?
    Snake says not to overthink it.
    Me personally, I went off of what Dave Tate always suggested. Get the belt tight. Tight enough to put a finger or two in between the belt and your stomach. Before you lift, you fill that space with a big breath.

  7. #6
    Moderator BrotherIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adrenaline Alley
    Posts
    1,642
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 955 Posts
    Originally Posted by snake View Post
    Raw with knee wraps is sometimes called Raw Modern.

    BI hit most of the highlights but I would like to emphasize what he said about using equipment. Its different and if not worked up too, will end badly. Good chance the equipment will take some weight off the bar until you get use to it.

    I personally found no use for anything over a single ply. Seeing guys using a double ply denim I thought was a bit over the top. I did most of my career as Raw Modern and 2 full meets completely raw. Truthfully training with no knee wraps and singling heavy weight is just not smart. My knees paid for months.

    For me, what I could touch and go on the bench equaled what I could pause in a single ply bench shirt.

    As for a DL suit, it was of little use to me so I never competed with one.
    Snake is VERY right. Equipment doesn't make lifting easier, in fact it's more difficult b/c your technique has to be spot on. You can't have shit form with briefs, wraps, suits, etc. You have to be even more precise and more perfect.

    I see things go horribly wrong b/c people think I can add 50-100lbs to my squat if I add wraps. They add wraps then their form goes to shit. Their knees cave, shoot forward, etc and they miss the lift. You have to exaggerate your technique... meaning really sit back, more than you normal, push those knees out (and be sure to externally rotate your knees).

    If you're a raw lifter, I don't see the need for training in a suit. Briefs, sure but not a suit and it in the offseason.

    If you want to squat in wraps, you're going to have to get used to it. That means you have to squat with them regularly. I generally would squat with them 2x a month (every other week). The pain you feel is like nothing you've experienced if you have a truly tight knee wraps.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...

  8. #7
    Moderator BrotherIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adrenaline Alley
    Posts
    1,642
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 955 Posts
    Originally Posted by ATLRigger View Post
    Ok thanks, these are both very relevant.
    Sounds like i need to get my hands on a singlet just to compete even in raw across several federations.
    I don’t currently use knee wraps, so I’ll do some digging and try to get comfortable with them.
    I still haven’t bought a belt yet either. Pioneer is in Texas and they’ve been out of commission since we talked last about a belt, Snake.

    BrotherIron: is there any special breathing technique that you use when lifting with a belt?
    Snake says not to overthink it.
    The belt should be tight but the problem I see with people is they crank it so tight they can't brace against it. Put it tight and than push your belly out into it. Brace and brace hard. Your shouldn't elevate when you breathe in, your stomach should distend b/c you're pushing the air down and out.

    And yes... don't overthink it.

    Soon you'll wonder about belt placement... that's very individual. I wear mine at my belly button. Seen others wear it higher and others wear it lower. Do what feels right to you.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...

  9. #8
    Senior Member Thewall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    252
    Thanked 263 Times in 119 Posts
    Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    Snake is VERY right. Equipment doesn't make lifting easier, in fact it's more difficult b/c your technique has to be spot on. You can't have shit form with briefs, wraps, suits, etc. You have to be even more precise and more perfect.

    I see things go horribly wrong b/c people think I can add 50-100lbs to my squat if I add wraps. They add wraps then their form goes to shit. Their knees cave, shoot forward, etc and they miss the lift. You have to exaggerate your technique... meaning really sit back, more than you normal, push those knees out (and be sure to externally rotate your knees).

    If you're a raw lifter, I don't see the need for training in a suit. Briefs, sure but not a suit and it in the offseason.

    If you want to squat in wraps, you're going to have to get used to it. That means you have to squat with them regularly. I generally would squat with them 2x a month (every other week). The pain you feel is like nothing you've experienced if you have a truly tight knee wraps.
    Agree with brother iron. Lifting in gear is different especially the bench. There is a different groove. You need very strong triceps and top end strength on bench. It took along time to learn the groove of a bench in the shirt. I learned quickly you needed to train in the gear to get better. The more gear the more unnatural it felt. Like snake said I did not notice any carry over in the deadlift. After competing for a while I preferred raw and single ply. So much easier to train for and what you do on the platform is truly your strength. I forgot to mention getting in and out of the gear is a pain in itself, you needed help most of the time to get in gear and with spots on bench.

  10. #9
    Member quackattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 57 Times in 28 Posts
    I joined a powerlifting gym after college and bought a used double ply bench shirt (I believe it was Inzer) and a leviathan squat suit. It's a workout to even get the gear on, nevermind the claustrophobia from feeling like your stuck in it.

    I have the utmost respect for people that lift in multiply.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to quackattack For This Useful Post:

    ATLRigger (03-23-2021)

  12. #10
    Elite Metalhead1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,180
    Thanks
    3,450
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Originally Posted by quackattack View Post
    I joined a powerlifting gym after college and bought a used double ply bench shirt (I believe it was Inzer) and a leviathan squat suit. It's a workout to even get the gear on, nevermind the claustrophobia from feeling like your stuck in it.

    I have the utmost respect for people that lift in multiply.
    Multiply is a competent different style, and by far my favorite. Takes a while to adjust, and definitely my preferred way to train. I have a leviathan as well. It's a suit of armor.

Similar Threads

  1. Free weight categories
    By tonino2424 in forum Training and Workouts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2020, 08:55 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 08:08 PM
  3. New pic of POB before his recent powerlifting comp!!
    By LeanHerm in forum General Chat & Conversation
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM
  4. Powerlifting..what brought you to it?
    By JOMO in forum General Chat & Conversation
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
  5. Equipped Powerlifting
    By PillarofBalance in forum Powerlifting Training Methods
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •