Questions about Conventional Barbell Deadlift

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I see that there are many here that do regular bb deadlift so figured this may be a good place to ask.

With pretty bad lower back pain, at age 49, what do you recommend to start with as far as sets and reps?

Was thinking maybe I should start with a lighter weight, 3 sets of 6, and practice perfecting form and technique first.

Or what would you recommend?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Forget deadlifts IMO. If you aren’t going heavy AF I don’t think they’re worth it.

I stopped doing them a couple years ago and my back is bigger now than it was when I was pulling a lot of weight.

At your age, condition and not being a PL. I don’t think they’re worth it.

if anything, get yourself a trap bar. That will take the strain off your back.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Forget deadlifts IMO. If you aren’t going heavy AF I don’t think they’re worth it.

I stopped doing them a couple years ago and my back is bigger now than it was when I was pulling a lot of weight.

At your age, condition and not being a PL. I don’t think they’re worth it.

if anything, get yourself a trap bar. That will take the strain off your back.

I have been doing trap bar deadlifts, at least partially why my lower back hurts.

To be fair though, I have been doing a lot of heavy pulls.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I have been doing trap bar deadlifts, at least partially why my lower back hurts.

To be fair though, I have been doing a lot of heavy pulls.

If your back hurts/is aggravated due to trap bar dead’s it’s is not going to react well to a straight bar. People do trap bar to reduce back strain.

I stand by my original advice: not worth it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Any muscle you want to work via the DL can be done effectively with other exercises. No need for injury risk in your case, or the overall fatigue they cause.

No exercise is a must.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
I switched to trap after struggling with form and serious back pain and I feel a million times better now. No pain since I switched to trap bar.

Reaction score
My Advice... If you have back issues give up on the DL. You will pay for it in the long run. My knees hurt me when I squat soooo... I don’t squat anymore. No big deal. I will pound the f**k outof the leg press. Do I feel like I am cheating myself or body by not squatting. No. I want to keep training for a long time so It is adapting. And yes a trap bar may help if you haven’t tried it already.
You may also want to try rack pulls. Maybe mid shin. It will also take a little more stress of you lower back. And get a nice thick belt one with a latch not a buckle.

New Threads