Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solitude

Thanks
    Thanked 19,882 Times in 8,028 Posts

Solitude

I just came back from 24 hours of solitude. Drove up a mountain with nothing but a couple meals, a couple beers, a notebook and a pencil. No music, no phone, no people, no reading. Just my mind and nature.

I think I could go a week easy.

Any of you guys seek out similar times of retreat?

Why? When? How? Teach me, Im new to this.

You are not entitled to your opinion.
    You are entitled to your informed opinion.
    No one is entitled to be ignorant.

He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked. Voltaire

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Blusoul24 (02-24-2021),Bobbyloads (02-24-2021),brock8282 (02-25-2021),CohibaRobusto (02-27-2021),John Ziegler (02-24-2021),Joliver (02-24-2021),permabulker (02-27-2021),Robdjents (02-25-2021),Sicwun88 (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,867 Times in 2,871 Posts
    back when I was on xanex vicodin & weed

would like spending time just chillin if front of the fish tank

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Ziegler For This Useful Post:

BigGameHunter (02-27-2021),CJ275 (02-27-2021),CohibaRobusto (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by John Ziegler View Post
    back when I was on xanex vicodin & weed

would like spending time just chillin if front of the fish tank
    Hmmm, I think you’re being funny. Or really missing the point!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,924 Posts
    That actually sounds really nice
    Last edited by Gibsonator; 02-24-2021 at 09:22 PM.
    Way Better looking than Trump

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibsonator For This Useful Post:

white ape (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    I have done this a couple of times when I was younger. Once on a semester-long Outward Bound course when I was younger and once again in my early 20's.

Both times I fasted, drinking only water. 3 days each time. Same as you, only a journal, rain tarp, sleeping bag.

First time I was coming out of my problem youth (drugs, needles, crime, abandonment and abuse, etc). It was a struggle to make the 3 days. With nothing to do but face everything I had been and done was overwhelming, but very clarifying.

Second time was easier, but still not easy. Gained a lot more insight as well.

If I tried it now, I would have to build up to it with daily meditation. Both prior times were pre: Internet, tablets and devices. I have a much harder time sitting still and getting quiet inside right now, because I'm out of practice.

It makes me feel a bit scared/crazy just thinking g about it right now!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blusoul24 For This Useful Post:

Jin (02-24-2021),white ape (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,369 Posts
    Jin, that is super cool and I bet you have a heightened sense of clarity right now. All Chris McCandless style.

Was there any physical activity or were you just sitting there?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DEADlifter For This Useful Post:

white ape (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    I'm with Gibs on this. It sounds magical. I found in my past that solitude and antisocial behavior can become addicting. So keep that in mind.

I have done a couple road trips where I just drove up to 24 hours straight. Only stopping long enough for gas and a piss. Your 24 hours seems more relaxing.

I would suggest to try fasting for 24 hours on the next one. Bring some supplies in case of emergency of course. Did you have a fire? Fire is good for the soul and contemplating life.

Edit: as I was posting, two more posts came in. I agree them as well.
    Last edited by white ape; 02-24-2021 at 09:37 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to white ape For This Useful Post:

Blusoul24 (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,867 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Hmmm, I think you’re being funny. Or really missing the point!
    the point is no phones no music no video games etc

just me & my little fishes

but no i didnt go to the wilderness

Thanks
    Originally Posted by DEADlifter View Post
    Jin, that is super cool and I bet you have a heightened sense of clarity right now. All Chris McCandless style.

Was there any physical activity or were you just sitting there?
    Still pretty snowy up there. I found an open area and mostly stayed in one spot.

I found an amazing old tree and spent a couple hours in a Crux of her trunk.

Did some journaling (which is not a practice I’m familiar with). Some stream of consciousness writing. Personal reflection. Lots of prayer. Some meditation.

I slept in my can because it was too damn cold.

There was so little stimulation that I had 3-4 periods of dream filled nodding off. I put down some cardboard and a sleeping bag and took an hour nap in the midday sunshine. Felt like I was homeless! And also kinda understand why homeless seem to sleep a lot. Seems like the body’s default when you’re isolated with not much to do. I bet guys in solitary sleep a lot.

Originally Posted by white ape View Post
    I'm with Gibs on this. It sounds magical. I found in my past that solitude and antisocial behavior can become addicting. So keep that in mind.

I have done a couple road trips where I just drove up to 24 hours straight. Only stopping long enough for gas and a piss. Your 24 hours seems more relaxing.

I would suggest to try fasting for 24 hours on the next one. Bring some supplies in case of emergency of course. Did you have a fire? Fire is good for the soul and contemplating life.

Edit: as I was posting, two more posts came in. I agree them as well.
    Love driving long distances. Let’s get the wives and kids together and you and I drive across the country sometime!

I like the idea of fasting. Some people don’t make fires because it’s too “entertaining” kind of like old school TV for primitives. I did, however, have a fire and it was nice.

I am planning on quarterly 24 trips into solitude with increasing levels of discipline.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Blusoul24 (02-24-2021),white ape (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by John Ziegler View Post
    the point is no phones no music no video games etc

just me & my little fishes

but no i didnt go to the wilderness
    No. The point is having to deal with your mind. Alone. With no crutches or distractions. That includes drugs. Yes, I had two beers and that was “cheating”.

If you take LSD and walk around the forest it doesn’t take any discipline. What takes discipline in walking around the woods “as if” you’d taken LSD. To ponder deeply and notice the details that otherwise your efficient brain would have filtered out and disregarded. To challenge your “normal” thinking. To be in awe of life.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Blusoul24 (02-24-2021),DEADlifter (02-25-2021),Mind2muscle (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 982 Posts
    I love taking long drives around the country have not done it too much lately cause have been taking planes but when I get a chance I love to drive.

My dad use to take me on these trips all the time when I was a kid never appreciated it until I got older. We got stuck in snow in the middle of the summer got lost in the boonies in Oregon he almost choked to death while driving and eating before lol forgot what state that was.

Went to yellow stone and Mount Rushmore and stayed at KOA’s across America seen a lot of cool shit even smoked a hash oil joint with a Indian guy on a 12 hour train ride into the mountains in Canada.

Damn Jinster now I miss my dad kind of and can’t wait for my son to get older to take him on a trip like this. It’s good to get out there in the world and have some adventures and it’s nice to be alone sometimes and really talk to your self and think. If I told my wife I’m leaving for 2 days to the woods to find myself she would call me crazy and would not believe that’s what I would do lol

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobbyloads For This Useful Post:

1bigun11 (02-25-2021),DEADlifter (02-25-2021),Jin (02-24-2021)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,825 Times in 4,663 Posts
    My bloodline comes from the Russian woods

Thanks
    Sounds some what liberating. Unfortunately I can only get away from my wife and son if I’m going to work lol. Dk how you pulled that one off but damn good on you.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Uncle manny View Post
    Sounds some what liberating. Unfortunately I can only get away from my wife and son if I’m going to work lol. Dk how you pulled that one off but damn good on you.

Haha. Believe me, I needed it. My wife encouraged it!!!

You're probably a lot more pleasant to be around than I am Stop being so affable!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

DEADlifter (02-25-2021),Uncle manny (02-24-2021)

E-Fighter Extraordinaire Joliver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,403 Times in 1,582 Posts
    I do a lot of nature/survival hiking. I failed a lot. But learned a lot about myself.

I did a two weeker once. Only food/water was what I could collect, catch or kill (aside from day one provisions hiking in). It taught me about wasted mental and physical motion. Covered 70 miles in 2 weeks. It's a lot of time to think about wasted effort and useless time investment in every day life...and how excess time (like forum fighting) is a luxury. Made me appreciative of things I've never cast a second thought over.

It's the meaning of life question that gets answered. It'd seem a nihilistic answer if I told you right here...but it's profound out there.

Keep pushing the boundaries. You'll define yourself differently if you stay the course.
    Stroking out on the toilet = gay. Stroking out on the platform = legend. --DYS

S.U.R.--Shut up Red!

Professional internet fighter

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joliver For This Useful Post:

1bigun11 (02-25-2021),Beserker (02-25-2021),BigGameHunter (02-27-2021),DEADlifter (02-25-2021),Jin (02-24-2021),white ape (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Joliver View Post
    I do a lot of nature/survival hiking. I failed a lot. But learned a lot about myself.

I did a two weeker once. Only food/water was what I could collect, catch or kill (aside from day one provisions hiking in). It taught me about wasted mental and physical motion. Covered 70 miles in 2 weeks. It's a lot of time to think about wasted effort and useless time investment in every day life...and how excess time (like forum fighting) is a luxury. Made me appreciative of things I've never cast a second thought over.

It's the meaning of life question that gets answered. It'd seem a nihilistic answer if I told you right here...but it's profound out there.

Keep pushing the boundaries. You'll define yourself differently if you stay the course.
    This sounds awesome. So long as a plan on not being able to provide anything for myself I think I could go a couple days without food or water

There were a couple things that prompted me to seek that time in solitude. This brief article was one.

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/11956

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

DEADlifter (02-25-2021),Joliver (02-24-2021)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,825 Times in 4,663 Posts
    Even tanner did this till it killed him . A lot of people die going out alone to long in weird places

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    This sounds awesome. So long as a plan on not being able to provide anything for myself I think I could go a couple days without food or water

There were a couple things that prompted me to seek that time in solitude. This brief article was one.

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/11956
    With as much daily stimulus as the brain intakes, sensory occlusion is a must...a coping mechanism. Start removing it, and the mind opens like the eye's iris.

This is what I liked about survival living--once surviving became instinct...weird stuff started happening. Inexplicable, but worthwhile things.

Plus...camping is fun. So there's that.

S.U.R.--Shut up Red!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joliver For This Useful Post:

DEADlifter (02-25-2021),Jin (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Bro Bundy View Post
    Even tanner did this till it killed him . A lot of people die going out alone to long in weird places
    Baofeng radio...and extra batteries in the pack. Evan Tanner went into the desert. The lack of food is an inconvenience. The lack of water is the end. The desert is hero mode. Easy mode first....the backyard.

S.U.R.--Shut up Red!

Thanks
    I avoid any and all social media. Always have. It has it's plusses and minuses. I feel like solitude is always available, so I don't crave it.
    "I'm the strongest bodybuilder that ever lived, I think..."
    -Franco Columbo

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Jin (02-25-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast