One meal a day not working for me...

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As the subject reads I just turned 39. I work out four days a week, M-Th. basically I fast all day long and hit the gym at the peak of my fasting after having not consumed a single for the last 20h. After my work out I have a protein power with good quality frozen fruits(kiwi, mango, blueberries, pineapple and and a spoon of organic peanut butter.

After I take a shower and have dinner. I hit my macros pretty well; for fat an avocado, for carbs brown rice or quinoa and for protein really good quality foods such as organic chicken, filet mignon, wild caught seabass. Stuff like that.

On Friday night and Saturday throughout the day I cheat but with quality food; organic pizza, grass bed bison burguer, home made cheesecake, stuff like that. I don’t do any fast processed food.

However I though I would get leaner and build muscle but I’m not achieving either.

What do you guys think I’m doing wrong.

Thanks a lot

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
How long have you been doing this?

What are your other stats? Weight? BF%? Etc?

Are you in a caloric surplus, maintenance, or deficit for the whole week?

What are you doing in the gym? Lifting, cardio, OR both?

Natural or enhanced?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If you're trying to build muscle, one meal per day just isn't going to cut it.

Ideally, you'd like to trigger multiple rounds of MPS(muscle protein synthesis) throughout the day, and that requires multiple protein feedings in addition to your training.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score

Ideally, you'd like to trigger multiple rounds of MPS(muscle protein synthesis) throughout the day, and that requires multiple protein feedings in addition to your training.

This is just scientifically wrong as a blanket statement.
Most of the golden era bodybuilders ate 1 meal a day. If Arnold could look like Arnold on OMAD, I would say it's well within the realm of possibility.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Yeah as others have said, probably overdoing it. Im a huge fan of fasting but maybe just one to two days per week at the extreme level you are doing it.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Best you can hope for on that meal plan is to maintain strength while losing weight, a recomp at best.

Welcome to the Underground.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score

What’s ur take on eating two to three huge meals vs the whole grazing thing ?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
What’s ur take on eating two to three huge meals vs the whole grazing thing ?

If 3 huge meals make you feel like crap, affect your workouts, or are in any other way detrimental, split it up into smaller, more frequent meals. Find what works for the individual.

I wouldn't do just 2 feedings though, at least for any extended time period.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Most of the golden era bodybuilders ate 1 meal a day. If Arnold could look like Arnold on OMAD, I would say it's well within the realm of possibility.

I guess we'll just have to disagree then.

But in regards to the Golden Era bodybuilders, I did a quick search and all I found was Arnold ate about 3800 Cals per day in 4-6 meals. Tom Platz also ate multiple meals per day from what I read. Admittedly, this wasn't from their mouths, so if you could link me something in regards to this, I'm genuinely interested.

And modern day bodybuilders most definitely do not only eat 1 meal per day, and I'm sure we all agree that the golden era bodybuilders pale in comparison. Training and nutrition has evolved, gotten better, more dialed in. So if indeed 1 meal per day was a thing, it must've got tossed for better practices.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score

False. All of this.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Regardless of the goal,
I've always ate every 3 hrs!
Portions are the only thing that varies depending on the goal!
Welcome to the underground!

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score

But in regards to the Golden Era bodybuilders, I did a quick search and all I found was Arnold ate about 3800 Cals per day in 4-6 meals. Tom Platz also ate multiple meals per day from what I read. Admittedly, this wasn't from their mouths, so if you could link me something in regards to this, I'm genuinely interested.

I'm on the road right now. I will see if I can find the video on this.

And modern day bodybuilders most definitely do not only eat 1 meal per day, and I'm sure we all agree that the golden era bodybuilders pale in comparison. Training and nutrition has evolved, gotten better, more dialed in. So if indeed 1 meal per day was a thing, it must've got tossed for better practices.
100% correct.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
The video was with Ric Drasin and one other guy that all used to train at gold's and he talked about how all of them would train all day fasted and eat one big meal at the end of the day consisting mainly of steak and eggs. He name dropped several guys that all did this. Then they played a clip of arnold talking about it. I'll find it somewhere.

Reactions: CJ

lfod14

Reaction score
On Friday night and Saturday throughout the day I cheat but with quality food; organic pizza, grass bed bison burguer, home made cheesecake, stuff like that. I don’t do any fast processed food [/QUOTE]

You said it... cheat. Pizza is Pizza regardless of whether it's made with organic ingredients or not. Same goes for cheesecake. Not saying you can't have a cheat but.......

On Friday night and Saturday throughout the day

So the end of Fri throughout Sat you're eating cheats..... that's no bueno man! Not saying quality of ingredients isn't important because it is, but it doesn't convert cheat foods into good ones. It's still Pizza, Burgers and Cheesecake.

Reaction score
I have the same problem now. I like your diet plan, and it doesn't have any strong restrictions. I don't like the concept of one meal a day. What level are you at now?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I have the same problem now. I like your diet plan, and it doesn't have any strong restrictions. I don't like the concept of one meal a day. What level are you at now?

I think only 1 meal per day is a pretty strong restriction! :32 (18):

BrotherIron

Reaction score
What are you doing wrong.... everything. 1 meal a day is not going to help you build any muscle. IF isn't an effective way to do anything unless you're dealing with some medical conditions. As just a way to cut or bulk it's not a smart way to eat at all.

You will not get your Kcal in correctly eating 1x a day and your weekend isn't done well either (a whole cheat weekend). What a great way to reverse the work you did during the week. Homemade cheesecake and other stuff. That's not healthy and not going to get you to your goal. K.I.S.S is the way to go. Honestly, eat 5x a day. Keep carbs simple. Things you can easily digest without bloat and gastric distress. Protein should be lean sources so lean beef, chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna, etc. Fats could be avocado, olive oil, almonds, etc.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

Serge Nubret was a 1 mealer. He occasionally ate 2 meals a day off season.

CB93DCA4-C24D-40EC-AF9D-206BDDD3894A.jpeg

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Feel like I'm talking to myself, here.

CALORIES IN VS. CALORIES OUT TEAM ASSEMBLE!!!!!! Discuss.

Hello? Is this thing on?

New Threads