Favorite Ab Exercises

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Im putting some real focus into my abs for the first time ever. As spring comes and I get busier working my bodyfat will drop to around 12ish percent so I wanna really see whats there. Im doing 4-5 sets right now about 6 days per week.

Been doing rope crunches, decline situps, and leg raises. Still going on a HIT program as always and mostly doing drop sets. What do you all like? Wheres Bundy?

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Knee raises from a dip bar / power tower. Ye can hold a dumbbell between yer feet for added resistance.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Decline sit-ups with 45 plate.. but 2 hour morning bike rides is what really gets them showing

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Gotcha. Yeah its not a cardio issue for sure but Im gonna add another fasted day every week and do my best to drop sugar. Its just so hard when that indica gets in

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Weighted planks but that's more for athletics and not aesthetics.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Step up the cardio,
Abs are there just tht layer of fat!
Never add any weight,
Don't want bigger ab muscle takes away from the V taper!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Not worried about the V so much. Im essentially a flying squirrel.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
If I went to a gym I would be doing:

Cable Kneeling Crunch
Cable Kneeling Twisting Crunch

Since I workout at home I do:

EZ Bar Push Sit Ups
Weighted Twisting Sit Ups

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Whatever you feel the best.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Abs...pft

I work my abs every time I pick up something heavy lol.

I do ab work in the bedroom with my lady a few times per week. I also get some ab work a couple times during the night to get out of the bed to piss and once in the morning when I get up.

Aside from that, my ab definition comes from the food I eat.

Very rare to see me doing a special ab routine. I do notice the skinny guys in the gym doing them though. Mostly because that's the best body part they have lol. We all have our best body parts and tend to work them more/harder. Oh and the fat newbies that still think that doing ab work will make them skinny.

On a more serious note, any ab movement is going to work your abs. I have military buddies who have some of the best abs that I have ever seen. The only thing that they have ever done is the traditional sit-up. I have also seen guys who do 30 minute ab routines several times per week with some of the chubbiest bellies that I have ever seen.

It is what you eat and how much of it you consume that makes the difference in the mid section fellas, not what exercise you perform.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
To get the 6 pack to pop you need resistance. Obviously a low body fat % is what allows them the show but resistance is what makes them grow! Spot on with rope crunches and leg raises. 8-20 rep range is good for hypertrophy. Planks and ab wheels are good but those are more stabilization exercises. Trunk flexion is your best bet.

Reactions: Jin

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Look up Eddie Hall and then tell me that you need to do ab work to have a six pack lol.

That dude cut weight and his abs were popping at 360lbs lol

Lifting heavy weight works your abs far harder then crunches. Ill say this. If you are competing(in bodybuilding), you are going to need ab work to completely get you abs where you need them but otherwise...not convinced

Lift heavy and diet.

PS: If you are deadlifting and squatting and you don't feel it in your abs, you ain't lifting hard enough.

Last edited:

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A lot of rectus ab muscle suggestions already so I will throw in a transverse ab exercise: the vacuum. It’s greatly improved my posture and my core stability on leg movements

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
A lot of rectus ab muscle suggestions already so I will throw in a transverse ab exercise: the vacuum. It’s greatly improved my posture and my core stability on leg movements

I have done these and it is amazing how hard it is but it will definitely make your waist/stomach smaller over time. Several inches smaller depending on how you hold your core currently.

New Threads