Lumbar Disc Herniation

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Just a thought here but I think it's worth mentioning. If youre having back pain and considering back surgery, it's worth your time and a couple bucks to read Dr. John Sarno's book "healing back pain, the mind body connection". His career proved that MOST back pain is psychosomatic and can be treated without any surgeries or medicines.

Feel free to flame away but Ive personally seen people end years of debilitating pain just by reading the boom. They all had crazy looking MRI's and surgeons wanting to do all kinds of shit too. My step dad was one of em.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Feel free to flame away but Ive personally seen people end years of debilitating pain just by reading the boom. They all had crazy looking MRI's and surgeons wanting to do all kinds of shit too. My step dad was one of em.

Dr Stu McGill would agree with you too.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Dr Stu McGill would agree with you too.

Ill have to look him up. My preliminarily impression is that that name is made up like "Pat McCrotch". Lol

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Nope, he's one of the leading back experts. Very highly regarded, and well respected.

956Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Total disc replacement

Texas Back Institute offers an alternative to discectomy and fusion to repair herniated discs. This spring I received an artificial disc replacement at L5-S1. Secret to successful back surgery is to operate asap to repair the nerve. Spending months fighting with insurance cucked me hard, compounding physical therapy burden.

Video of ADR lvl 1: https://youtu.be/hGfQn5Q1PnM

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Glad to see they still use a hammer during back surgery.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Texas Back Institute offers an alternative to discectomy and fusion to repair herniated discs. This spring I received an artificial disc replacement at L5-S1. Secret to successful back surgery is to operate asap to repair the nerve. Spending months fighting with insurance cucked me hard, compounding physical therapy burden.

Video of ADR lvl 1: https://youtu.be/hGfQn5Q1PnM

Thanks for sharing. How has your recovery been since the surgery?

quackattack

Reaction score
Monday morning I woke up with some mild back pain that that felt like an overstretched rubber band running to my toes. This is odd because the prior week was deload week which most workouts consisted of light movements and cardio. I have been icing my back every night and taking ibuprofen but it does not seem to be improving.

I would like to get back to squatting and deadlifitng but I'm afraid that it will further aggravate this. Does anyone have any stretches or exercises that can help? Any tips would be appreciated.

956Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. How has your recovery been since the surgery?

Hasn't been easy. While I have been able to enjoy the gym again and have added 35-40lbs lbm ~2 yrs after lumbar spine surgery, lost significant muscle/usage of my left leg...nerve activity never returned as I once hoped.

Reactions: DF

956Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bird-dogs

Monday morning I woke up with some mild back pain that that felt like an overstretched rubber band running to my toes. This is odd because the prior week was deload week which most workouts consisted of light movements and cardio. I have been icing my back every night and taking ibuprofen but it does not seem to be improving.

I would like to get back to squatting and deadlifitng but I'm afraid that it will further aggravate this. Does anyone have any stretches or exercises that can help? Any tips would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Not to be discouraging, because I may have done it all wrong, but I never really got back to deadlifting after lower back herniation. Cervical disc herniation I found easier to work around by switching to lat pulldowns to the front for back, and easing back on overhead presses in favor of other shoulder work.

Reaction score
I fucked up my back at 24 presumably due to a combination of car accidents, improper form on deadlifting and squatting (tight hamstrings, rounded lower back) leading to a degenerative disc disease diagnosis. MRI showed that the annulus was completely gone/dessicated in the lower 1/3 of my back and had bulges/herniations/etc from L4-S1. Worst pain of my life. 10/10. Painkillers for years were effective in making me 'feel' okay but leading to a shitty hormonal profile and withdrawal/side effects all the time. Not a fun way to live.

Eventually I decided to build myself back up, albeit slowly and correctly. Noticed imbalance in my lower trap on one side and a number of other imbalances that took years to fix. Only rowing I can safely do (i workout in garage) is incline DB row with my chest supported on the bench. Back is thicker than ever, haven't had any pain or discomfort in years.

This is all while being told from 3 separate doctors (2 ortho sugeons, 1 neurosurgeon) that "you have back of 70-year old", "fusion or disc replacement? pick one". Neuro wanted to do some crazy ablation or nerve-block. These people....I just fucking hate most doctors after working with them for so long as a researcher.

But I will never deadlift or squat again because I tried putting them back in my routine with low weights but the damage is obviously still there - I've just enough muscle around the weakened area and the discs are hopefully getting relief from that.

Reaction score
I fucked up my back at 24 presumably due to a combination of car accidents, improper form on deadlifting and squatting (tight hamstrings, rounded lower back) leading to a degenerative disc disease diagnosis. MRI showed that the annulus was completely gone/dessicated in the lower 1/3 of my back and had bulges/herniations/etc from L4-S1. Worst pain of my life. 10/10. Painkillers for years were effective in making me 'feel' okay but leading to a shitty hormonal profile and withdrawal/side effects all the time. Not a fun way to live.

Eventually I decided to build myself back up, albeit slowly and correctly. Noticed imbalance in my lower trap on one side and a number of other imbalances that took years to fix. Only rowing I can safely do (i workout in garage) is incline DB row with my chest supported on the bench. Back is thicker than ever, haven't had any pain or discomfort in years.

This is all while being told from 3 separate doctors (2 ortho sugeons, 1 neurosurgeon) that "you have back of 70-year old", "fusion or disc replacement? pick one". Neuro wanted to do some crazy ablation or nerve-block. These people....I just fucking hate most doctors after working with them for so long as a researcher.

But I will never deadlift or squat again because I tried putting them back in my routine with low weights but the damage is obviously still there - I've just enough muscle around the weakened area and the discs are hopefully getting relief from that.
Excellent compensating though

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Good thread, if I could sticky this thread twice then I would.

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score
My fucking dumbass just feel something go during my SLDL. Serves me right for keep trying to do them without the requisite mobility. Just a little pain/weakness in the lower spine right above where it joins the pelvis. Anytime I "feel" my lower back in an upleasant way it's always this same spot. At it's worse a few years ago I was getting mild sciatica from it.
Luckily it's never been bad enough to were stretching and some time off from those movement won't fix it right up. Perfect timing seeing this thread right when I got back from the gym.

buck

Reaction score
I have a few herniated/bulged discs now but they don't cause any real issue. Had a collapsed disc taken care of 10 years ago. I took off 10 days from the gym after the fusion, laminectomy and rods being installed to help with the spondylolisthesis.

New Threads