Lumbar Disc Herniation

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lets talk about lumbar disc herniation:

A lumbar disc herniation is a condition affecting the lumbar spine that can be caused by lifting injuries. This occurs when there is a tear in the outer, fibrous ring (annulus fibrosus) of an intervertebral disc this allows the soft, central portion (nucleus pulposus) to bulge out of the tear beyond the outer rings.

anatomy_of_disc.jpg

If you were to picture pushing down on a jelly donut with the jelly oozing out of the side this is the action that is being described.

Tears almost always occur in the postero-lateral direction, where the annulus fibrosis is relatively thin and is not reinforced by the posterior or anterior longitudinal ligament.

difference-between-normal-disc-and-herniated-disc.jpg
Mri.jpg

You are most prone to a disc injury during the action of flexion and rotation of the spine (bending over & twisting at the waist). This action places a large amount of pressure on the anterior (front) portion of the disc. As a result this forces the inner part of the disc to the posterior (back). When the spine is straight internal pressure is distributed throughout the whole disc.

While sitting or bending to lift, internal pressure on a disc can move from 17 psi (lying down) to over 300 psi (lifting with a rounded back).
perez_lumbar_d.jpg

I’m sure that I don’t have to tell you that this is why form on heavy lifts is very important.

A tear in the disc will most often result in the bodies inflammatory chemical response, which may cause severe irritation/pain, even in the absence of the disc fragment causing direct nerve root compression. I would say that about 50% of the lumbar MRI’s that I read indicate that the fragment is not impinging upon the nerve. Yet, the patient will still have symptoms. There is evidence that points to a specific inflammatory mediator of this pain. This inflammatory molecule, is called tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF).

symptoms

Symptoms of a herniated lumbar disc can vary depending the severity and on the location. They can range from little or no pain/symptoms, to severe pain that will radiate into the regions served by affected nerve roots that are irritated or impinged (pinched). Other symptoms may include numbness, tingling, muscular weakness and paralysis. You may also experience sciatica, which is a set of symptoms that can run from the back into the butt down the leg to the foot. The symptoms can include numbness, tingling, burning, pins/needles and muscle weakness ect.

Herniation at the L3 or L5 level also have a high chance of experiencing decreased sexual performance (Limp dick ) and also altered sensation in the female counterparts.

Symptoms typically are experienced only on one side of the body. If the herniation is very large and compresses the spinal cord or the cauda equina (the bundle of nerves that comes off the end of the spinal cord) affection of both sides of the body may occur.

*Compression of the cauda equina can cause permanent nerve damage or paralysis. The nerve damage can result in loss of bowel and bladder control as well as sexual dysfunction. This is an emergency situation. If you are crapping & pissing yourself get to the ER asap.

Nonsurgical Treatment of disc herniation

Ice to limit and/or reduce inflammation and muscular spasms
With any acute injury DO NOT USE HEAT
Chiropractic adjustments
- I am very partial to this type of treatment.
Physical therapy
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
Oral steroids (e.g. prednisone)
An epidural (cortisone) injection

lateral-view.jpg

Symptoms of disc herniation will usually gradually improve with nonsurgical intervention. The most common reason to have surgery is to alleviate pain, which has not improved within a reasonable amount of time. Another reason is because their pain will limit them from being as active as they would like.

Lumbar Herniated Disc Surgery
A microdiscectomy is designed to take the pressure off the nerve root by removing the portion of the disc that is pressing on it. Using microsurgical techniques and a small incision, a microdiscectomy can usually be done on an outpatient basis or with one overnight stay in the hospital, and most patients can return to work full duty in one to three weeks. This surgery is minimally invasive.

The success rate of the microdiscectomy is about 95%. In my years of clinical practice I have seen many patients lead an active life style after having this surgery.

Lumbar fusion surgery is usually the result of severe degenerative disc disease with multiple levels of disc herniation. This is a very invasive surgery, which can involve screws, plates ect. I would recommend that if you can avoid this type of back surgery then do so. I have seen very few of these with even fair outcomes.

Last edited:

Mrs P

Lady Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Awesome read Dfeaton !, thanks for posting this... I'm having micro surgery in October, can't wait.... living with back pain is no walk in the park, it takes so muh out of your life... I can't wait to get it done.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Awesome read Dfeaton !, thanks for posting this... I'm having micro surgery in October, can't wait.... living with back pain is no walk in the park, it takes so muh out of your life... I can't wait to get it done.

Your welcome Mrs P. I work on a lot of people that have had this surgery. All of them have had very good results. I'm sure that you'll do really well with recovery. Your in great shape & Gh is always good while healing.

Reaction score
This is just like what I got on my back Dfeaton, my L5 is just like one in the picture or even worst. Thnx for posting this man.

HH

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Awesome post broham

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is just like what I got on my back Dfeaton, my L5 is just like one in the picture or even worst. Thnx for posting this man.

No problem Piki. I figured that there were a few guys/gals on SI that had this problem. I see it fairly often in my practice.

Mrs P

Lady Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your welcome Mrs P. I work on a lot of people that have had this surgery. All of them have had very good results. I'm sure that you'll do really well with recovery. Your in great shape & Gh is always good while healing.

That's good to know, It's really gonna kill me to have to take time off to recover :( but just to know I will be pain free & not have to restrict my workouts anymore puts a smile on my face... I might start going to chiro again after the surgery.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's good to know, It's really gonna kill me to have to take time off to recover :( but just to know I will be pain free & not have to restrict my workouts anymore puts a smile on my face... I might start going to chiro again after the surgery.

I don't believe that the recovery time is bad with this surgery. As far as surgery goes this is minimally invasive. Some surgeons have different ideas though as far as resuming your regular activities. I do recommend that you visit your chiro once you are healed up.

Gt500face

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great post bro, I'm currently suffering from a herniated disk. This shit sucks

old git

Reaction score
Great post bro, I'm currently suffering from a herniated disk. This shit sucks

I had one about 20 years ago, most painful thing I have ever had, sorry to hear about your shit, rest, and pain killers, hope it gets better soon!

Reaction score
quick question. just got home from my ortho. he did mention that the jelly/blue thing in between my l4/l5 is gone. is it the same as what is mentioned here? thanks

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
quick question. just got home from my ortho. he did mention that the jelly/blue thing in between my l4/l5 is gone. is it the same as what is mentioned here? thanks

No, that would be degenerative disc disease.

ron1204

Elite
Reaction score
This is great info. I have a question though. In the fourth picture showing your spine bent over and then over stretched (if thats what u call it), when you over stretch like that would it cause damage? for example i see people dead lift, with good form, but then go over regular posture and end in a position like that. Is that harmful? should u finish deadlifts at a straight angle?

Reaction score
Oh I see. I have the MRI results as written:

Findings:

L5 is sacralized.

There is disk desiccation, mild posterior disk bulge and focal bright signal posteriorly at L4-L5 with associated thecal sac indentation.

The rest of the disk materials are within normal confines without canal senosis.

Impresion:

Sacralized L5
Desiccated disk with mild posterior disk bulge and annualr fissure, L4-L5

Would like to confirm if this is indeed degenerative disk disease. Thanks

Reaction score
Old thread I see but, Thank you for the diagrams and some explanation.
I'm in my 8 or 9th week of sciatic disc I don't know what hell.
Insurance is garbage now at my age for me, it's fine for my family but they don't want to hear it from me.
I know I need an X-ray at this point after trying to heal myself for over 2 months.
It really sucks blew it out years ago lifting a boat motor. It's come back this time with a vengeance
finally found a way to get a half day of no pain through an old weightlifting habit.
Guess it just helps seeing how many guys here have gone through this.
Wish I could say more

Maybe this thread will give me a boost.

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
I think I herniated a disk. Felt a pop coming up in a squat, knew something was wrong right away.
Basically ****ed, cycle blown, last three months of work out the window, can't even take a drive. Good ****ing times.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I think I herniated a disk. Felt a pop coming up in a squat, knew something was wrong right away.
Basically ****ed, cycle blown, last three months of work out the window, can't even take a drive. Good ****ing times.

Man that sucks. I’m so sorry.

New Threads