Home Gymers

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
With my ceiling height issue I settled on ordering a titan t3 squat rack with spotter arms. It was just $350 and gym equipment is holding its value pretty well so I can always upgrade later on. Also picked up a titan Yukon bar seen in the picture here. Excited to try that out. Hopefully over the weekend I have some luck finding weights, a standard barbell, and adjustable dumbells and I’ll be ready to go!
View attachment 11701
Bend your own bars like a real man!

Reactions: Jin

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I have a cage, and squat stand, they serve the same function. But the cage is more versatile, but make sure you have extra 45's to lay on the base, they are prone to tipping over.
Dude there are far safer and cheaper ways to secure things than 45lbs plates.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Sorry i have nothing to add to ur home gym but i do say congrats on stepping up to ur new job and good work getting there.

Reaction score
I just added the HULKFIT power cage and the spud econo lat pull lower pulley system. I have 3 Econo SpudInc systems, 2 for flies and one for low pulls. It absolutely gets the job done. They are about as expensive as it would cost you to make all this yourself. But with Spud Inc, you get a warranty.

Power cage comes with 2 year manufacture warranty too. It’s sturdy and it’s basic, what else do I need?
you can add to the hulkfit later too. It has its own lat attachment and cable flies attachment. Quite neat & super cheap.

Attachments

• EE0B8DFA-F1ED-4C9C-8A47-DDE788B40584.jpg
    EE0B8DFA-F1ED-4C9C-8A47-DDE788B40584.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2
  • 1439F526-5C99-466F-BE4F-10FEFF6309EC.jpg
    1439F526-5C99-466F-BE4F-10FEFF6309EC.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I have a Titan T-2 rack, and I'm happy with it. Exactly as I expected, but nothing more.

Mine doesn't wobble at all, but that's because my floor is laser beam flat and I zipped in a the bolts in a rotation, as if I was tightening down cylinder head bolts on a car with a torque wrench. I hope you understand what I'm saying there.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I have a Titan T-2 rack, and I'm happy with it. Exactly as I expected, but nothing more.

Mine doesn't wobble at all, but that's because my floor is laser beam flat and I zipped in a the bolts in a rotation, as if I was tightening down cylinder head bolts on a car with a torque wrench. I hope you understand what I'm saying there.
I have one, thats all welded together, do you think the ones bolted together are as good?

Im paranoid about tightening my crap, so it does wobble

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I have one, thats all welded together, do you think the ones bolted together are as good?

Yes, it's not the bolts that support the weight being used, they're merely holding the other pieces together. It's the uprights that are supporting the weight, and the safety bars as well, if the weight is dumped.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score

Start a new thread and post pics of ur welds and where u would think of securing it to.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score

Alan Thrall is one of the guys whose "job" seems to be reviewing home/garage gym equipment on youtube. He and the others can be somewhat abrasive, but they can be useful too. Alan in particular is one who instantly creates fans, and detractors. His qualifications are that he runs a small, atypical gym, he has bought some of the same items we one-man/one-home-gym people do, but he has bought more of it. One of his episodes contrasts welded vs bolt-together racks as he sees it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUW4t1RO2bY

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
This Alan Thrall link may be what I wanted up above, but they're all interesting and offer some alternative views. In this 31 minute marathon for instance, he makes an argument for why a rack using 2" x 3" uprights may be preferable to the 3" x 3" many people might select (and he does that early in the vid, lol).

Contrasting a welded rack vs. a bolted together version is also addressed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagF1PXrNUQ

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
This Alan Thrall link may be what I wanted up above, but they're all interesting and offer some alternative views. In this 31 minute marathon for instance, he makes an argument for why a rack using 2" x 3" uprights may be preferable to the 3" x 3" many people might select (and he does that early in the vid, lol).

Contrasting a welded rack vs. a bolted together version is also addressed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagF1PXrNUQ
3x3 uprights are a real biatch. Got a rack on the cheap but it was impossible to find j hooks that didnt cost more than I paid for the rack.

Ill take a look at the videos, thanks

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
3x3 uprights are a real biatch. Got a rack on the cheap but it was impossible to find j hooks that didnt cost more than I paid for the rack.

Ill take a look at the videos, thanks

I am one of those knee-jerk-reaction people who usually opts for more-is-better and assumes 3" x 3" would be better, and that the 7ga. steel you rarely see offered would be better than the commonly-seen 11ga. that seems to be the industry standard ... but I can't use 800lbs in any movement and never will. It may be that rack sturdiness and minimal wobble is based more on how all the steel fits together than on what dimensions manufacturers list.

Reaction score
I am also going to be putting together a home gym. I work all day and live about 20 mins to the closet gym. So my spare bedroom is now going to be my gym.
I will check back on this thread for ideas and inspiration.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
89B7FBEA-1F17-4A8A-BB13-1AF7FA05A196.jpg

Here’s a start. got the squat stand set up today and picked up a bunch of weights. I have my adjustable bench arriving tonight or tomorrow. About to head out again to a friends to pick up a barbell, some more weights and possibly a cable station. I need to get to a tsc to pick up some horse stall matts but just ran out of time today. Just means no deadlifting until next weekend I guess.

quackattack

Reaction score
Looks good. Where did you get the weights from?

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
I ended up getting my weights from 2 different people today. Got a bunch of weights from a nice older couple for a dollar a pound. Then a friend of mine hooked me up with some weights and a cheap barbell for free. Finished the day with 8x45s 4x35s 4x25s 4x10s 4x5s 2x2.5s. Also got a pretty good powerline cable cross over station. Haven’t set it up yet because I need to clear junk out of the back room of my basement which is the only place with a high enough ceiling to put it but it’s the model below.

Attachments

• 48B68F9E-11D4-4114-BAF5-9EA7C4F51C4E.jpg
    48B68F9E-11D4-4114-BAF5-9EA7C4F51C4E.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3

quackattack

Reaction score
That’s awesome. A dollar a pound is a deal at least in New England.

Sounds like your going to be all set for a while. I’m jealous.

New Threads