Sugar and coffee

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Ive read a bit on how the fake sugar mixes up our sugar receptors, and cause more weight gain. I cant remember, it was a good bit ago.

I never drank coffee with anything, so I just dont understand why not drink it black. Youll get use to the taste :p

Keyboard warrior JackD.
There’s a reason fat people drink regular and skinny people drink diet.
Aspartine is one of the older sugar substitutes but it works nevertheless (at not being sugar.)

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
What about the creamer? And two diet cokes I have at night? They don't have sugar, right?

The creamer has has more Cals than the sugar does, obviously depending upon how much you use. Also gets it's calories from fat. Fat is more easily stored as bodyfat than carbohydrates are, because it's already fat, no need for the body to convert it, and no insulin required.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I like where your head is at. And honestly, there are a lot of reasons not to eat sugar. It's a metabolic waste, really. It's an insulin secretagogue. Your body won't oxidize fatty acids in the presence of insulin. The more sugar you eat, the more desensitized most of your body gets to insulin--with the notable exception of adipose (fat) tissue. That's a problem, because more insulin is secreted per the same unit of glucose to dispose of it from your blood. It's the type 2 diabetes trap.

But...back to your thinking. We need to get rid of 17,500 calories. We can burn them, or we can not consume them.

Let's say your TDEE is 3,000 calories (google tdee calculator...click on calculator dot net and calculate it). So if you cut out 500 calories per day, and 1500 on Sundays, that's 4,500 cals down a week. That takes off the 5lbs in a shade under 4 weeks.

Well, if you don't want the deficit, a 225lb man will burn 150ish cals with a mile run. Run 3 miles a day. 4mph for 45 min. That replaces the daily deficit. Give or take.

What if you want the deficit AND the 45 min run? Well, that's a 7,650 deficit. Or 5lbs gone in 2.25 weeks.

The point I make is: visualize 17,500 as a number. And take from it whatever you can. 100 cal cup of coffee...gone. 150 cals on a mile run...gone. Dietary deficit of 500-1000 cals....gone.

It's you against 17,500.
I already run 3.5 miles 6 days a week.

From what I am hearing from you, me vs 17,500 calories. I need to take a chunk out of the real culprit here, alcohol. I estimate on average I consume 40-50 drinks a week over a 4-5 day period. I don't think I can easily cut those days in half but I can probably cut it back to only drinking on 3 days a week. I'll cut that out and replace my pizza with a pound of salmon.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
The creamer has has more Cals than the sugar does, obviously depending upon how much you use. Also gets it's calories from fat. Fat is more easily stored as bodyfat than carbohydrates are, because it's already fat, no need for the body to convert it, and no insulin required.
You are right! I never looked at the label, but I use at least 100 calories of this
8983710117fdf2f9bc781da59c195fb0.jpg

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I need to take a chunk out of the real culprit here, alcohol. I estimate on average I consume 40-50 drinks a week over a 4-5 day period.

This right here should be where the VAST majority of your efforts should be focused on.

Your coffee sugar is a grain of sand on a beach compared to this.

Even if all 50 drinks were 1 ounce shots of vodka, that's 3,500 weekly Cals right there. If it's an average beer, it's closer to 7,000 Cals.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score

From what I am hearing from you, me vs 17,500 calories. I need to take a chunk out of the real culprit here, alcohol. I estimate on average I consume 40-50 drinks a week over a 4-5 day period. I don't think I can easily cut those days in half but I can probably cut it back to only drinking on 3 days a week. I'll cut that out and replace my pizza with a pound of salmon.

With That amount of alcohol over the course of a couple of decades it will be hard for you to avoid liver failure or serious disease.

I know of a guy who died of liver failure from drinking a six pack everyday for 20 years.

I know you don’t take aas but the risks you’re running with the booze is above most members threshold running aas.

I’m no stranger to strong drink and drinking too much myself, but don’t be blind to the risks.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Gotta drink less booze man. That’s way too much. Not only are you inhibiting your body from it’s potential but your destroying your overall health. You have to figure out why your drinking so much and if you know already get help. The sugar is the absolute least of your worries. Focus on cutting down on the alcohol and get rid of it. Good luck dude

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Add to that if you don’t think you can abstain you should take a hard look at your relationship with alcohol.

I may be drinking about the same amount as you for the recent time being but I’m about to take 2 months off. Not try to take 2 months off. Just stop drinking. If you have an issue stopping it may be a sign of a problem.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This right here should be where the VAST majority of your efforts should be focused on.

Your coffee sugar is a grain of sand on a beach compared to this.

Even if all 50 drinks were 1 ounce shots of vodka, that's 3,500 weekly Cals right there. If it's an average beer, it's closer to 7,000 Cals.
Echoing this. That level of weekly alcohol intake is seriously concerning, man.

Address the drinking first, THEN worry about consuming more masculine coffee.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I couldn't make any sense of that highlighted line at all.

Veggies have sugar and some carbs which convert to glucose when eaten.

As far as protein, the body can use all of the amino acids except lysine and leucine to make glucose.

Glucose = sugar. So you can never completely avoid sugar no matter what you eat.

Top 15 Vegetables Highest in Sugar
https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/high-sugar-vegetables.php

Top 15 Vegetables Lowest in Sugar
https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/low-sugar-vegetables.php

Zero glucose = zero energy.

The goal is to eat enough for the energy you need to get through the day and nothing more.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

I won't get preachy, but alcohol is metabolic suicide. Alcohol has 7kcal/g. So a shot that some people think have no cals, actually has plenty of them. But alcohol seems to be in some weird zone where it's not required to have a nutritional label.

The other difficulty with alcohol is that it's metabolism is a catabolic process. Alcohol is metabolized first (even before sugar). Your body will rid itself of alcohol before it does anything else. So whatever you can cut out is beneficial...not just from a caloric standpoint.

Also...I love booze. I really do. Probably more than oxygen.

In summary, you are correct. Cutting out those calories cuts into the 17,500. Once you've calculated a tdee, you can start your energy balance calculations.

It's not complex...but it's difficult. Getting lean is a function of you tolerance for suffering.

You've always struck me as a methodical person. I've no doubt that you'll be successful. Let me know if I can help in any way.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
You can quit. Or cut back drastically. At the height of my drinking Saturday’s and Sunday’s was sangria made with two bottles of wine, peach schnapps, and brandy, another bottle of wine after that, then 1/2 a bottle of whiskey. Each day. Then Monday - Friday I consumed roughly 3-4 more bottles of whiskey and a bottle or two of wine each night.

quit cold turkey. Never had shakes or anything. Not sure how much a guy has to drink to reach chemical dependency but I didn’t have that issue

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Keyboard warrior JackD.
There’s a reason fat people drink regular and skinny people drink diet.
Aspartine is one of the older sugar substitutes but it works nevertheless (at not being sugar.)

This may not be entirely true. Diet sweeteners (except Stevia, erythritol, xylitol, and to a lesser degree other sugar alcohols) have been found to still cause reactions in blood sugar and insulin. Many studies have pointed to a link to metabolic syndromes with aspartame etc, and statistically, folks who drink lots of diet sodas maintain more belly fat. Now, that could be because they're already fat and therefore drinking diet soda, so take that with a grain of salt.

Best solution, just drink water, not chemicals.

just one article of hundreds.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/do-diet-drinks-hinder-weight-loss-and-contribute-to-belly-fat#2

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I echo what everyone else is saying. It's a bit ridiculous to worry about 3.5 teaspoons of sugar a day when you're having 40+ drinks a week.

Now, there's your problem! Lol

I don't drink anymore, but that's because I'm an alcoholic, and I needed to stop. I have nothing morally against it at all, and if I could do it I would. I would just say you're on the right track by cutting that back to just a few days a week. I think you'll notice a pretty significant difference, and it's also really good for your liver to take a few days off.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the advice. I recently went 6 weeks with only drinking fri-sun, but started back about every day the week before I went on vacation because I was excited about it. The reason I think I like to drink so much is because I feel like I have more fun when I do. My favorite thing to do on a weekend night is get drunk and watch something scary or funny on netflix with my dog. I also enjoy drinking and turning wrenches. Since covid I am rarely around anyone else when I drink which may be why I have been drinking more the last two years.
Today will be day 3 of not drinking but I plan to drink friday-sun. Next week I WILL not drink during the week.
Everything you guys said make sense. I hate running but I do it to keep from getting fat. If I'm only burning 150 calories every mile then I'm burning 3150 calories a week by jogging, only making up for only 31.5 drinks.
So every 1.5 vodka shot I skip is a mile I don't have to run once I get down to weight.
That puts it into perspective. At this moment it sure doesn't seem like running a mile for every drink and a half is worth it.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
The amount of cardio you are doing is probably the reason you wont see liver stress in your bloodwork. If youre gonna keep boozing heavy, make sure you keep that up.

New Threads