Ladies and gentlemen I have an announcement

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
I was talking to my wife and she has been asking me about lifting and she wants to get back into shape.

We used to run a lot together and we ran some long races which was a lot of fun...buuuuuut running kind of sucks...we all know that!

So last week she drug me into the gym and asked for some help wanting to learn to lift. I figured ehh she probably won't be too into it. I have asked her multiple times if she ever wants to learn and she never showed much interest. I think her reservations were she didn't want to look like a bodybuilder....lol We did a good chest workout. Next several days she could feel it! Must have hooked her!

Today she asked me what we were going to do tomorrow in the gym. Dudes I am ecstatic!!!

I have been trying to come up with a program for her! I think I am going to go with a 5x5 program and teach her proper lifting technique and see where it goes from there!!!!
What do you guys and gals think of that idea?

I think she has seen my results and she wants to join in on the fun!

Sorry fellas, I just needed to share and get that off my chest!!!!! Super pumped!!!! :32 (13):

sfw509

Reaction score
Awesome. Went through this with my wife 5-6 years ago. She was a swimmer back in the day but not much experience lifting. I worked with her on a program like 5x5 to help her build a base of strength. She responded great and loved it. It led to her doing splits and other types of programs on her own. Nothing like seeing a gym rat dude with a " what the f... " look on his face when she's squatting and dead lifting 225 or drops the pin two plates on the lat pull down after he gets up (Though they might just be ass guys, lol, she's packing).

Keep encouraging and enjoy the common interest.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
My wife had no ass when I married her. Then squats. Now remedied and then some.

She doesn’t love working out but she enjoys spending time together so I train her 2/wk in the gym.

Happy for you!

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Awesome
Keep encouraging and enjoy the common interest.

I hope she enjoys it and continues on if nothing else for her mental health and well-being!

Will definitely encourage and hopefully she sees some results and sticks with it!

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I'm seeing some potential ideal lifetime partnerships developing here ... and "with benefits."

My own marriage has evolved into being ideal, but it lacks the added glue of the iron life ... I envy you guys.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
My wife had no ass when I married her. Then squats. Now remedied and then some.

She doesn’t love working out but she enjoys spending time together so I train her 2/wk in the gym.

Happy for you!

Thanks Jin!!!!!

More than anything I am happy more for my wife than me. I think it could make a huge difference in her self confidence and many other things! I will try and foster a good experience and hope that she keeps at it!

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
That's awesome brother. It's our lifestyle, and has really strengthened our bond.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
My girl goes to the gym w me occasionally usually stays on the treadmill w a coffee and on her phone!

Gabriel

Reaction score
I think it's just really harder for women..they have to work harder for the same results.

Due to my health and Covid.. it's been a yr since she went ..

But when she did go she was happier..

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's awesome man. My wife and I are on the same journey. First of all, what is her goal? Is there a look she's going for, PL, etc? Second, make sure she gets the stability and muscle endurance stuff done before progressing her further. After that you just need to tailor her workout to her goal. Don't make the mistake of thinking she needs to lift differently because she's a woman. Same for them as it is for us. Target the areas you want to work on and build up from there.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Women respond well to volume. As for 5x5, you may want to modify it for her to reach her aesthetic goals ie. sumo instead of conventional.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Creek, BroIron thanks for the feedback!

She was in the Army and she goes all in on everything she does...when we ran she would go as hard as she could to the point of puking on nearly every run we did. So this will be interesting and fun to watch.

Honestly I think her long term goal is just to be fit and look good. She has never lifted weights so this is all new to her.

Iron I think your right 5X5 may be the wrong path for her. And she can put in some serious work so volume is probably a smart way to go. Like I said she will push till she can't push any more.

I will keep you guys posted to how its going and when I come across a road block no doubt you will be able to help me figure out what to do!

Thanks Gents!!!!

Reaction score
I'm seeing some potential ideal lifetime partnerships developing here ... and "with benefits."

My own marriage has evolved into being ideal, but it lacks the added glue of the iron life ... I envy you guys.
This is me and mine. We have a lifetime together and she loves and respects what I do. Minus my enhancements.. but she has come to except. Anyway I try and get her into the gym with me all the time. She has no interest In it. Even if she did I do t think it could be more than 2x a week for me. When I train I don’t talk to or want to be bothered by anyone. I have apologized to multiple people I know over the years for seeing them in the gym and not really talking to them. None really have taken offense to it. So if I was with my wife I would feel like I had to talk. So I would enjoy 2x but not much more.

juuced

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Im signing my girl up next week. But shes on her own. I have my life long workout partner and not giving him up.

Reaction score
Dude way to go! Yea man! That’s what’s up! Too cool. It’s literally the highlight of my day when my wife comes to lift with me. She does 4 days a week.
I find it super sexy too. It all just works out. Lol

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
I expected you to be coming out the closet when I read the thread title

Sorry to dissapoint you Trump, I know the title is kind of ghey it was the first thing that came to mind.

Thewall

Elite
Reaction score
That’s awesome you can share in the enjoyment of lifting. I agree with the higher volume approach!!

Reaction score
Im signing my girl up next week. But shes on her own. I have my life long workout partner and not giving him up.
Man. Some are never lucky enough to know what it is to have a training partner who thinks and has the same goals as one another. I was lucky enough once. We trained for almost for forever. Then things happened and we had to split. I have never even tried to train with someone again. I am now a lone wolf.

New Threads