Dog owners!!

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
My boy he's around 12 yrs old have developing liver issues. Vet recommended SAM-e which we know helps but so far enzymes still high. I was thinking at first Liveright. But some of the herbs might have a adverse reaction. Now I'm �� my tuduca as a possibility?

Just trying to find him a comfortable quality of life in his twilight year. Slowly dropping hints to my kids possibly coming close to that time. He grew up with them. And ideas I should consider??

I know it's a bb forums but we know about liver issues but we're pet owners also!

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
No idea, but best of luck. Take good care of your pup!!!

quackattack

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried switching up the food? I have a friend that feeds his dog chicken, eggs, yogurt, rice, and veggies. Maybe a more diverse diet can help. Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about.

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
Yes did that now ground lean turkey along 1/2 cup of dry Vet says that's good. Thanks for replying

Gabriel

Reaction score
That's my Wolf-hybrid for my avatar..he will be 8 this month..he goes everywhere with me but he has really slowed down this yr..we just started him on joint supps and got him an orthopedic pad.. it's still a flip which one of us is going 1st..I pray it's me..

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I lost a good dog this summer and he was only 10 y.o. It came out of the blue and he went down hill over the period of just a few months. I still miss my buddy. Good on you for preparing the young ones for the inevitable.

Look into NAC.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Pooh, I don't have any answers, but ... just a thought. I am a tudca user, but I am also enough of a cynic to wonder if it isn't just a mild version of the prescription drug UDCA in the benefits it might offer.

If (I said "IF") there's any truth to that, and if your Vet agrees, he could prescribe and administer the UDCA. The real deal comes in different forms for human use, up to and including IV administration for some human patients.

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
For older dogs with joint issues and weaken hind legs get this it really works. Have wooden floors legs weak when he sits or eats he slides. Literally was doing the splits when he eats. Funny as hell but I bet on comfortable. Got these they really work. Don't laugh how they look but it works.Screenshot_20210402-063635.jpg

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Apparently some form of tudca OR udca (not sure yet which) is well established in veterinary medicine:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ursodiol

I'm helter-skeltering between a bunch of different things at the moment and haven't given this my full attention, but your original thought about tudca may be on to something, Pooh, or at worst no more than a near-miss that could steer your Vet in the right direction. I keep seeing "ursodiol" pop up as I stumble around, not sure if it's tudca, or udca, or some other chemical cousin, but it (seems) to be available as an oral, and otc from chewy.com and other online vet supply places.

Last edited:

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Raw, have you vaccinated your Pet Rock?

Apparently some form of tudca OR udca (not sure yet which) is well established in veterinary medicine:

I'm helter-skeltering between a bunch of different things at the moment and haven't given this my full attention, but your original thought about tudca may be on to something, Pooh, or at worst no more than a near-miss that could steer your Vet in the right direction. I keep seeing "ursodiol" pop up as I stumble around, not sure if it's tudca, or udca, or some other chemical cousin, but it (seems) to be available as an oral, and otc from chewy.com and other online vet supply places.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
No. I had some ugl vaccine on hand, but a power outage killed my ultra-freezer and, hence, the vaccine.

thnx for caring .....

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score

Yeah already saw the ursodiol for dogs gonna ask the vet when she calls about the latest labs. If it prolongs his life and good will try anything. But if he's suffering and that's a great possibly then gotta do the right thing. And rescue another pet from the shelter in a appropriate time!

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m a big dogman I’m looking for a puppy right now

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I used to have the big dogs (Rotty & German Shep); now I have small ones (Yorkie & Pug).

Reaction score
Man that sucks. We have a dog and he’s only 3 years old now, but he’s FAMILY. he’s one of the babies. You know! I couldn’t imagine going through that and having to explain it to my kids. I’m following this and I wish you the best with your dog, my friend.

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
Got some ursodiol rx from the vet she was vaguely familiar with it. Ordered it just now, will continue with SAM-e due to multi benefits. Get off milk thistle not sure how they interact. Blood work in a few weeks hopefully he's around. We both don't think he's suffering, he likes his walks always ready to eat!! Just real slow moving, gotta give it a try!!

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Pooh, your OP sounds like Labs have been done and liver issues diagnosed, then in Post #8 you're talking about where his feet meet the street with less slipping, but ... have you and your Vet also discussed the concurrent possibility of arthritis ... so common in older dogs?

There are a number of drugs that ease pain and/or inflammation that help humans and dogs have more comfort. I know it's a case of treating the symptom rather than the underlying condition, but dammit, it works to some extent.

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
Pooh, your OP sounds like Labs have been done and liver issues diagnosed, then in Post #8 you're talking about where his feet meet the street with less slipping, but ... have you and your Vet also discussed the concurrent possibility of arthritis ... so common in older dogs?

There are a number of drugs that ease pain and/or inflammation that help humans and dogs have more comfort. I know it's a case of treating the symptom rather than the underlying condition, but dammit, it works to some extent.

Oh yeah been discussed he's on tramodol and gabapentin as needed. Doing the whole joint support supplements. So we'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks gotta give him a fighting chance I feel he want to fight on a bit more. I know probably sounds ****in stupid it's like he looks at us and says lets keep going. But I'm realistic!!

ComeBacKid85

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your pup is going through this. I’ve seen other people get results with Cannabis products. If that’s something you have access to. Rick Simpson oil is the best hands down but seen people get results with other products too. If nothing else it will keep him feeling more comfortable until the inevitable happens.

New Threads