Aching shoulder pain AFTER exercise

Reaction score
Hello, I've had this aching left shoulder pain radiating from my shoulder blades to my forearms for a month now. It started as an achy pain (no sharp pain or pain during the exercise) and I couldn't pinpoint where it actually originates but it's inside my shoulder. I've also noticed my bicep is tight and I have weird feeling of pulling/ shocking sensation in my bicep particularly with barbell curl so I switched to dumbell but the tightness on my left arm is still there when I curl or do pull-ups. I have no sharp pain or whatsoever during shoulder exercises, it usually feels uncomfortable and my aching shoulder is weaker than the right one. It mostly affects me with barbell overhead press, I feel weakness when doing overhead presses and when the muscles cooldown after the exercise, the radiating shoulder ache begins.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that when I do rear delt DB flies, my aching shoulder pops during every rep in a painful way so I stopped working rear delt with isolation movements altogether. That was exactly when the achy pain started to bug me. I will get MRI results in a week but I don't want to stop doing shoulder exercises so I am looking for an answer about what could it really be? Torn labrum, bicep tendonitis or rotator cuff injury? I searched everywhere on forum but couldn't find a thread exactly describing what I am currently going through. Every bit of help is appreciated.

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply and I am aware which protocol I should be following on the medical side of my shoulder injury. I was just hoping that someone experienced a similar injury and can give me an insight since my doc is a boomer and have no experience at all in weightlifting.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Impingements in any rotator cuff muscle can make some weird things happen. Especially if a nerve is involved. Yeah. Get an MRI and dont do any more til youre diagnosed.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Lay off the shoulder workout until it heals. I have had issues with sore tendons and hired a trainer to teach me those little exercises that strengthen the joints.

Last edited:

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
How old are you? Just wondering.

I use to have knee flare ups where I couldnt walk for a week, you just have to lay off it.

Reaction score
Lay off the shoulder workout until it heals. I have had issues with sore tendons and hired a trainer to teach me those little exercises that strengthen the joints.
Did sore tendons feel like achy pains after exercises? Thank you for the advice.

Impingements in any rotator cuff muscle can make some weird things happen. Especially if a nerve is involved. Yeah. Get an MRI and dont do any more til youre diagnosed.
I really hope it's an impigment issue and not labrum tear lol. I will get an MRI hopefully, thank you for your reply man.

How old are you? Just wondering.

I use to have knee flare ups where I couldnt walk for a week, you just have to lay off it.
I am 23 and I have been working out for nearly a year. I hope it is nothing serious and I can lay it off but it's really hard for me to not train shoulder because I particularly love doing these :(

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Did sore tendons feel like achy pains after exercises? Thank you for the advice.

I really hope it's an impigment issue and not labrum tear lol. I will get an MRI hopefully, thank you for your reply man.

I am 23 and I have been working out for nearly a year. I hope it is nothing serious and I can lay it off but it's really hard for me to not train shoulder because I particularly love doing these :(

At your age, you may have overdone it. It happens and now you will have to deal with taking care of it. Don’t do anything that will cause pain during or immediately after your movement. It should subside once you stop if it isn’t a tear but you need to brace it to avoid the pain. I did the same with my elbow joint on left arms.
e5f8fb212ca7983987a1d00636d5d218.jpg

Last edited:

sfw509

Reaction score
I had similar issues a while back that was the result of a " minor" ac joint separation. Popping, stiffness, decreased strength and rom, numbness and tingling from the elbow to my fingers.

I was not much older than you when the original injury happend. I got a cortisone shot and went back to training and a pretty physical job the next day. Then 11 years later I have a horrible case of tendonitis. I literally couldn't pick up a cup of for with my left hand. A good doc and pt figured out it was a few muscles I can't pronounce in my shoulder that I never re strengthened from the original injury. My back and bi were strong enough to compensate for the shoulder not firing. I spent almost 4 months doing pt and treatments to get just right.

I'm 41 now. My advice is to take it easy until you get a proper diagnosis. You are going and have a long life of training ahead of you. It's better to miss a little time now and get yourself right than power through and cause a major injury down the road.

Last edited:

Rider

Elite
Reaction score
Based on your description, it sounds like a case of tendinitis, not a tear. (Achy pain that doesn’t impact training rather than a sharp pain)

An MRI will figure it out. The best advice I can recommend is to take time off lifting and focus on cardio. Wait until the results of the MRI come back so you know what your dealing with. I know, it’s not what you wanted to hear. Setbacks happen to us all, but you just need to deal with them head on.

Reaction score
At your age, you may have overdone it. It happens and now you will have to deal with taking care of it. Don’t do anything that will cause pain during or immediately after your movement. It should subside once you stop if it isn’t a tear but you need to brace it to avoid the pain. I did the same with my elbow joint on left arms.
I am really sorry you have to go through elbow injury man. I actually increased my workout intensity overall in the last month and I am experiencing few other symptoms in other areas too but they are not that big of a deal as I recover rather quick. I will sadly stop doing overhead presses and focus on shoulder mobility only for a while. Thank you for the advice it means a lot.

I had similar issues a while back that was the result of a " minor" ac joint separation. Popping, stiffness, decreased strength and rom, numbness and tingling from the elbow to my fingers.

I was not much older than you when the original injury happend. I got a cortisone shot and went back to training and a pretty physical job the next day. Then 11 years later I have a horrible case of tendonitis. I literally couldn't pick up a cup of for with my left hand. A good doc and pt figured out it was a few muscles I can't pronounce in my shoulder that I never re strengthened from the original injury. My back and bi were strong enough to compensate for the shoulder not firing. I spent almost 4 months doing pt and treatments to get just right.

I'm 41 now. My advice is to take it easy until you get a proper diagnosis. You are going and have a long life of training ahead of you. It's better to miss a little time now and get yourself right than power through and cause a major injury down the road.
I wish you a fast recovery, hopefully you're doing well now. I agree with you, I need to back off for a while and focus on rotator cuff and mobility exercises for my shoulders. Thank you for the advice.

Based on your description, it sounds like a case of tendinitis, not a tear. (Achy pain that doesn’t impact training rather than a sharp pain)

An MRI will figure it out. The best advice I can recommend is to take time off lifting and focus on cardio. Wait until the results of the MRI come back so you know what your dealing with. I know, it’s not what you wanted to hear. Setbacks happen to us all, but you just need to deal with them head on.

Yeah, it does not show itself as a sharp pain. It's similar to a toothache, it radiates from my shoulder blades to my arm and when I start my workout the dull ache subsides. It starts all over again when I rest. Thank you for your time man.

Reaction score
I really hate it when I see an injury. But I know it happens at times.

New Threads