Do you even lift?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I know from first hand experience that many of us have 0-1 friends. Lots of lone wolves on UG. Another reason why I take seriously the well being of this board: for many it’s a critical part of their entire social construct.

Very cool bro. I'm sure everyone here appreciates you looking out for them here (I know I do). I can't speak for others, but I've always been an introvert by nature. The lone wolf thing works for me (mostly). I'm at the age now where all my friends have kids, but of course I never bothered trying to have children. Understandably those old friendships have shifted their focus to family.

Makes me wish I got off my ass 10 years ago and figured out how to make friends as an adult when I was in my late 20's/early 30's.

Anyway, you just gave me another reason to love UG.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I know from first hand experience that many of us have 0-1 friends. Lots of lone wolves on UG. Another reason why I take seriously the well being of this board: for many it’s a critical part of their entire social construct.

You aren't kidding, include me in that group. I had to make a choice long ago to work ridiculous hours to be a single dad, and sacrifice my social life.

I wouldn't change that decision ever, but one of my greatest fears is that when I die, nobody will be at my funeral, because I pushed everyone back to make room. All my close friends became acquaintances, my acquaintances became people I know, and people I know became strangers.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Very cool bro. I'm sure everyone here appreciates you looking out for them here (I know I do). I can't speak for others, but I've always been an introvert by nature. The lone wolf thing works for me (mostly). I'm at the age now where all my friends have kids, but of course I never bothered trying to have children. Understandably those old friendships have shifted their focus to family.

Makes me wish I got off my ass 10 years ago and figured out how to make friends as an adult when I was in my late 20's/early 30's.

Anyway, you just gave me another reason to love UG.

I’m an introvert myself. UG provides a comfortable platform for me to express myself without the discomfort of larger groups and “small talk”, which I find horribly distasteful.

I went years without contact with others. Recently I’ve found that, for me, meaningful relationships are necessary for a meaningful life. At 40 years old, forming those relationships takes intentionality.

Twice a week I have long format, meaningful conversations with friends, acquaintances or near strangers. It’s a lifelong project of mine.

I practice deep listening, non judgement and curiosity while they become storytellers. I’ve sat down with members here who I knew tangentially and who I now know very well. We’ve been able to form meaningful relationships and build trusts.

Our life’s meaning is the sum of our relationships.

I encourage you to explore this idea.

Journey well.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
its odd as a youngster or while serving u got mad friends....as we age, they all seem to disappear, even if we make an effort in my case anyways, they seem to get lazy reciprocating the friendship, so eventually u just stop talking to them.... but as we age we prolly become weirdos anyways hahaha, i know im different than i was back then,

i guess its part of life, but i miss the camaraderie, the the challenge and the push we give each other....not the same on these interwebs...

there’s nothing worse than making effort with friends that don’t reciprocate and often you do have to end up respecting yourself more and treating them like they treated you. If they can’t appreciate the effort after you try, then they aren’t worth your time.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I’m an introvert myself. UG provides a comfortable platform for me to express myself without the discomfort of larger groups and “small talk”, which I find horribly distasteful.

I went years without contact with others. Recently I’ve found that, for me, meaningful relationships are necessary for a meaningful life. At 40 years old, forming those relationships takes intentionality.

Twice a week I have long format, meaningful conversations with friends, acquaintances or near strangers. It’s a lifelong project of mine.

I practice deep listening, non judgement and curiosity while they become storytellers. I’ve sat down with members here who I knew tangentially and who I now know very well. We’ve been able to form meaningful relationships and build trusts.

Our life’s meaning is the sum of our relationships.

I encourage you to explore this idea.

Journey well.

This is a good idea, and something I've known for a long while that I need to force myself to do.

Thanks man, this is the kind of thing that I (and I'm sure others) need to hear.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Introvert here as well. My battery gets so drained after social stimulation especially big events. I’m not a fan of small talk and prefer deeper conversation. Friends are a thing of the past do to growing apart as well as how busy life gets with family. The people I do know and work with I have zero in common with. But as I age I’m becoming more and more comfortable with this. Awesome thread OP and replies by UG members!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Got lots of friends. The best of them are my long time hunting buddies and they all live pretty far away. Got lots of gym buddies as well but mostly what I love to do is go to my cabin and be alone.

Reactions: Jin

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Best thing I've ever heard that has helped me deal with bigarexia is "you are what your shirt size says". This can either be good or bad, but clothing never lies.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Best thing I've ever heard that has helped me deal with bigarexia is "you are what your shirt size says". This can either be good or bad, but clothing never lies.

I buy all my clothes from Thailand. 12x bro