Blog #7 Cycling Pilgrimage
    keenville.com/pilgrimage/
    ____

Travel Update

• I'm in Nicaragua longer than expected
    • I found an outstanding hostel
    • Costa Rican boarder finally opened
    • Iím flying home

I entered Nicaragua (on January 9th) and expected to pass through within a few weeks. But, over 12 weeks later Iím still in Nicaragua. Iíve been halted by the Costa Rican land border remaining closed despite Air and Sea borders opening months ago. When I entered on the 9th I emailed my Embassy and found out that the border may open on February 1st. I was hoping I could just bike through without a hitch but that didnít happen. They pushed it back to March 1st. I thought Iíd fly out but flights cost about $300. Plus, all the trouble that comes with dealing with airports. So, I opted to wait until March 1st for the Costa Rican border to tentatively open. For one, I hate airports. And spending more time in a foreign country sounded cool. It also made more economical sense to stay another month. I could spend $300 on one big purchase or spend $400 on housing, food, and all expenses for the month. Another 30 days would bring more priceless experiences than what 5ish hour long airplane ride could. And I am in no rush.

But, a few days before March the Costa Rican President extended the closure again to April 1st. So, with the same rationale I had previously, I opted to spend another $400 for a month in Nicaragua. I was already settling into an outstanding hostel and started negotiating long-term rates. First, I stayed in the dorms for a few days paying $10 a night. Then, we progressively negotiated to a 15-day deal at $5 a night in a private room. I was liking my arrangement so much that I wanted to stay here longer. But the bitter-sweet news came in on March 22nd saying that the land border would finally open April 5th.

ďThis actually works out wellĒ, I thought. So, last week I extended my Nicaragua visa for another 30-days, which would have expired on the 4th. And in a week or two Iíll be heading south again. I plan on spending a few weeks in Costa Rica then a few weeks in Panama, which will conclude the first half of my travels. From Panama City, Iíll be flying out to Chicago on May 21st. This seems like a perfect time to take a break and return home to revisit friends and family. Iíll be there in time for a wedding and a reunion. But most importantly, I just miss my friends and family.

Making it to the Panamanian airport in 6 weeks will mean that Iíve been traveling for 10 months. It will be the halfway point and it concludes Mexico and Central America. It also makes sense to fly back at this time because a land route connecting Central America and South America does not exist. So, Iíd have to fly or boat across anyways. And instead, of flying directly from Panama to Colombia I could fly from Panama to the USA then to Colombia. Well, maybe. Maybe, instead of biking south from Columbia I could fly down to Argentina and work my way north. Then, I could go through Central America and Mexico again. Or I could bike down south again starting from the States. If I did this then maybe a friend would want to join me through Mexico. Anyways, that's still a ways away.

Iíll remain in the States for several months before I complete the remaining part of my trip. This also gives more time for countries to lax their Covid entry requirements, namely, Covid test that can cost upwards of $150 per border. This hasnít been a problem for me, so far, Iíve only done 1 out of the 5 international borders Iíve crossed. But the cost and inconvenience will surely add up.

That aside, Iím loving this nomadic lifestyle and I still have no plans to settle down. My finances are also looking strong. Thanks to some lucky investments, I actually have I higher net worth than when I started. I think Iíll continue this lifestyle until I tire out or find a good reason to settle down. Maybe another year, or 2, or more. But until then, Iíll continue reading, writing, and meeting people. Until then, Iíll continue to learn more about myself, other people, and what other people do.

F6B7E3F5-7A90-4822-B431-C704994B9FCD_1_201_a (2) (1).jpg
    The hostel I've lived in for 2 months. Includes a pool, free breakfast, and an in-house cook that serves me hamburgers once or twice a week.

P.S. I've been writing something tentativly called, ďA Self-Discovery on Purpose, Meaning, and Reality; Setting Aside My Childish Dream." I planned on posting this update with it but I havenít finished it yet. Haha Itís taking way longer than expected. I hope it's good enough to post within a month or two
    -mind over BIG matter

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Adking29 For This Useful Post:

Boogieman (04-06-2021),CJ275 (04-06-2021),DEADlifter (04-06-2021),FlyingPapaya (04-06-2021),Jin (04-05-2021),Robdjents (04-06-2021),Sicwun88 (04-06-2021),white ape (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,850 Times in 8,022 Posts
    Haha. Was just thinking about you and was going to email. Glad things are going well bro.

You are not entitled to your opinion.
    You are entitled to your informed opinion.
    No one is entitled to be ignorant.

He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked.Ē Ė Voltaire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Adking29 (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,827 Times in 3,857 Posts
    Love reading your updates, keep them coming, and safe travels!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ275 For This Useful Post:

Adking29 (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    That is so fuking awesome. I am envious sir.
    Sometimes I park in handicapped spaces
    While handicapped people make handicapped faces

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingPapaya For This Useful Post:

Adking29 (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Amazing. I always look forward to these updates and enjoy following you on Instagram.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DEADlifter For This Useful Post:

Adking29 (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Good stuff!
    Living the dream!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicwun88 For This Useful Post:

Adking29 (04-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks for the encouragement guys
    -mind over BIG matter