If You’re Arrested By Rick Collins

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
By Rick Collins, J.D.

If You’re Arrested
Small-time arrests for personal possession are occurring more and more frequently. Sometimes these arrests arise out of car stops for traffic violations and the steroids are found during a search of the car. Car searches are frequent at border crossings, where law enforcement authorities searching for drugs are less restricted by Fourth Amendment constraints.

What you say during a confrontation with the police can have dramatic effects upon your ability to successfully defend your case if you are arrested. Remember that certain rights protect you. Miranda v. Arizona [384 U.S. 436 (1966)] reaffirmed that confessions must be voluntary. It also established cautionary warnings to safeguard your Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination and your Sixth Amendment right to counsel. They go like this:

* You have the right to remain silent.
* If you do say anything, what you say can be used against you in court.
* You have the right to the presence of a lawyer prior to and during any questioning.
* If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you if you so desire.
* If you choose to talk to the police officer, you have the right to stop the interview at any time. (This last one often gets forgotten.)

Do the police always have to give the warnings? No, the rule of Miranda applies only to custodial interrogation. The two elements -- custody and interrogation -- must both exist. If it’s either one without the other, the warnings aren’t required.

Custody. Custody generally means that a reasonable person, innocent of any wrongdoing, would feel that he or she was not free to leave. The place doesn’t matter: it can be at your home, job or gym, at the Postal Inspector’s office, in a police car, on the street, or wherever. If you’re not in police custody, the warnings don’t apply even if the police question you. Obviously, Miranda doesn’t apply if you’re questioned over the phone.

Interrogation. Basically, that’s police asking questions (except for pedigree stuff like name and address). If you’re in custody and they’re going to question you, they have to give you the warnings. If you’re not going to be questioned, even if you’re in custody, the police don’t have to give them. Say you’re arrested for drunk driving. They decide not to ask you any questions, so they don’t give the warnings. But you spontaneously blurt out that you “only had five beers.” Your admission of drinking can be used against you. The same usually goes if you peep up when you overhear the police talk about you to each other, such as, “This dummy is going to be doing some major time for all this juice, huh?”

What happens if the police don’t administer the warnings? The remedy is that your statements are excluded or suppressed because of the violation. Also, if the police find evidence as a result of an interrogation that violates Miranda, that derivative evidence may also be suppressed. Suppression of evidence may or may not require dismissal of the case itself. If there’s enough other evidence that is admissible, the case goes on.

Keep in mind that incriminating statements are often the most damaging evidence in a criminal case. Let’s assume that under certain circumstances you’ve decided that it’s not in your best interests to submit to police questioning. If you’re not under arrest, you can simply ask, “Am I under arrest? If not, I’d prefer not to stay and talk to you.” Then leave. If the officer replies that you’re not free to leave, then you can invoke your Fifth Amendment privilege by saying, “I want to remain silent,” or “I don’t want to talk to you.” If you invoke this privilege, the police must stop questioning you, at least for a good while. Even better, invoke your Sixth Amendment right by saying, “I want an attorney right now.” If you demand a lawyer, the police can’t question you further unless you reinitiate the conversation. [For a thorough discussion of your Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Amendment rights, check out Legal Muscle].

Rick Collins, J.D., a veteran lawyer and former competitive bodybuilder, is the author of the groundbreaking new book LEGAL MUSCLE: Anabolics in America, available through this site.

[© Rick Collins, 2003. All rights reserved. For informational purposes only, not to be construed as legal advice.]

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
If you get stopped and the police ask to search your car NEVER say yes. Whether or not you have anything to hide.

If you aren’t under arrest and Unless they have probable cause (see a baggie of crack, etc) or a warrant they cannot search you or your vehicle without permission.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Never feel that invoking the 5th is a bad thing. It’s meant to protect you in ambiguous situations

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Never feel that invoking the 5th is a bad thing. It’s meant to protect you in ambiguous situations

Never, ever, ever consent to a search.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you get stopped and the police ask to search your car NEVER say yes. Whether or not you have anything to hide.

If you aren’t under arrest and Unless they have probable cause (see a baggie of crack, etc) or a warrant they cannot search you or your vehicle without permission.

This is true. It's also true that if they want to search it they're going to anyway. They're going to call a k9 out, the dog is going to signal and they're going to search.

When the police don't have probable cause, they will try to manufacture it. Still never consent. Give your lawyer every tool they can to defend you.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Mugzy real life experience this happened in 2018 ..I’m moving from Florida back to nj and I get pulled over in Nc by a redneck cop and his friends . My car stinks like the chronic hard straight stank in weed smoke. In my trunk I got all my luggage packed. In the last corner of the trunk is a shoe box filled with all kinds of steroid and needles I’m on cycle at this point full blast . I know I’m fukked and I’m nervous. The cop does his cop shit and gets me ou the car to do a full check by now a whole lot of redneck cops are all around me asking cop questions . They got me detained in the back of the cop car while this young jacked cop is asking me question where are the drugs hidden in my car? I play dumb saying all I have if anything it’s just weed smell in my car. The cops are ripping my car apart looking for shit . I’m now shitting a brick and extremely nervous and the cop sees this very clearly and he’s really getting at me now with the questions . Finally after tearing my car apart on this NC redneck highway they come across the shoe box ... I break I can’t take the pressure anymore and tell the cop in that box his friends are about to open is all my gear . As I’m telling him this I’m looking at about 4 cops rummaging through my steroids and a shit load of needles and pills. Now I’ll be honest at this point I’m dying inside thinking how the fuk am I going to pct in a NC jail and a shit load of other bad thoughts in my head.We all get out of the car and head to my car with the 4 cops and a shoe box full of steroids. I’m thinking that’s it we’re going to prison in this fukkin North Carolina. Now I’m almost pure white and feeling like I want to puke I’m sick to my stomach over this bullshit. I’m in the best shape of my life I have a hot girlfriend waiting for me there and a apt I already payed for not to mention my family. These fuks start having me take my shirt off and show them my muscles lol I thought now I may get gang raped by these hicks. They start asking me all kinds of juice questions like how should they use it to get the best results and a boat load of questions . Turns out they are all juiceheads and love gear .They packed my shit up back in my trunk and told me never drive with drugs from Florida to anywhere they specifically look for those plates because of heavy drug trafficking . They also told me their not looking to lock up guys that like to lift which I thought was cool as fuk . By the end they were all laughing at me how nervous and pale I got . They let me go and I was back on the road I was shook for a few weeks after that incident. True story boys and girls

Last edited:

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Mugzy real life experience this happened in 2018 ..I’m moving from Florida back to nj and I get pulled over in Nc by a redneck cop and his friends . My car stinks like the chronic hard straight stank in weed smoke. In my trunk I got all my luggage packed. In the last corner of the trunk is a shoe box filled with all kinds of steroid and needles I’m on cycle at this point full blast . I know I’m fukked and I’m nervous. The cop does his cop shit and gets me ou the car to do a full check by now a whole lot of redneck cops are all around me asking cop questions . They got me detained in the back of the cop car while this young jacked cop is asking me question where are the drugs hidden in my car? I play dumb saying all I have if anything it’s just weed smell in my car. The cops are ripping my car apart looking for shit . I’m now shitting a brick and extremely nervous and the cop sees this very clearly and he’s really getting at me now with the questions . Finally after tearing my car apart on this NC redneck highway they come across the shoe box ... I break I can’t take the pressure anymore and tell the cop in that box his friends are about to open is all my gear . As I’m telling him this I’m looking at about 4 cops rummaging through my steroids and a shit load of needles and pills. Now I’ll be honest at this point I’m dying inside thinking how the fuk am I going to pct in a NC jail and a shit load of other bad thoughts in my head.We all get out of the car and head to my car with the 4 cops and a shoe box full of steroids. I’m thinking that’s it we’re going to prison in this fukkin North Carolina. Now I’m almost pure white and feeling like I want to puke I’m sick to my stomach over this bullshit. I’m in the best shape of my life I have a hot girlfriend waiting for me there and a apt I already payed for not to mention my family. These fuks start having me take my shirt off and show them my muscles lol I thought now I may get gang raped by these hicks. They start asking me all kinds of juice questions like how should they use it to get the best results and a boat load of questions . Turns out they are all juiceheads and love gear .They packed my shit up back in my trunk and told me never drive with drugs from Florida to anywhere they specifically look for those plates because of heavy drug trafficking . They also told me their not looking to lock up guys that like to lift which I thought was cool as fuk . By the end they were all laughing at me how nervous and pale I got . They let me go and I was back on the road I was shook for a few weeks after that incident. True story boys and girls

I'm shaken up just from reading it.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is true. It's also true that if they want to search it they're going to anyway. They're going to call a k9 out, the dog is going to signal and they're going to search.

When the police don't have probable cause, they will try to manufacture it. Still never consent. Give your lawyer every tool they can to defend you.

Funny this was just recently posted

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
This is good info Mugzy

something also to add to this. As a cop who does a lot of narcotic interdiction. I ask for consent to search a vehicle most of the time unless I have established probable cause for search. Something to keep in mind if you deny consent lots of cops will call for a k9 which is fine you don’t own the air around your car so the dog can sniff. BUT they cannot hold you and extend the detainment longer just to wait for the dog the rule of thumb is 15 mins some also say the time it takes to finish the stop. I’ve seen officers wait for a k9 to come for 45 mins and the case got thrown out as at that point the extension of the detainment become unlawful
Can’t just make a person wait for longer just for the k9.

also some officers will ask for consent driver says no...so they’ll place you in custody for the traffic offense, tow your vehicle and “inventory” it to look for contraband. I think that is a very shady and unethical practice. My mind set is if I don’t have probable cause, consent or a k9 2 mins away let em go and find something else
No I don’t look for weed or steroids I’m looking for meth, heroin, crack etc just wanted to share that lol

not looking for anti police replies so won’t even acknowledge them. I’m expecting them

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
...not looking for anti police replies so won’t even acknowledge them. I’m expecting them
I am hoping this board has moved past that shit by now. I like to think of you as our undercover cop, and someone who provides a real benefit to people like me who could stand to be a little more street-wise.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
I have no love for anyone spewing ACAB or any other anti cop sentiments.

Shits unacceptable

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
By Rick Collins, J.D.

If You’re Arrested
Small-time arrests for personal possession are occurring more and more frequently. Sometimes these arrests arise out of car stops for traffic violations and the steroids are found during a search of the car. Car searches are frequent at border crossings, where law enforcement authorities searching for drugs are less restricted by Fourth Amendment constraints.

What you say during a confrontation with the police can have dramatic effects upon your ability to successfully defend your case if you are arrested. Remember that certain rights protect you. Miranda v. Arizona [384 U.S. 436 (1966)] reaffirmed that confessions must be voluntary. It also established cautionary warnings to safeguard your Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination and your Sixth Amendment right to counsel. They go like this:

* You have the right to remain silent.
* If you do say anything, what you say can be used against you in court.
* You have the right to the presence of a lawyer prior to and during any questioning.
* If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you if you so desire.
* If you choose to talk to the police officer, you have the right to stop the interview at any time. (This last one often gets forgotten.)

Do the police always have to give the warnings? No, the rule of Miranda applies only to custodial interrogation. The two elements -- custody and interrogation -- must both exist. If it’s either one without the other, the warnings aren’t required.

Custody. Custody generally means that a reasonable person, innocent of any wrongdoing, would feel that he or she was not free to leave. The place doesn’t matter: it can be at your home, job or gym, at the Postal Inspector’s office, in a police car, on the street, or wherever. If you’re not in police custody, the warnings don’t apply even if the police question you. Obviously, Miranda doesn’t apply if you’re questioned over the phone.

Interrogation. Basically, that’s police asking questions (except for pedigree stuff like name and address). If you’re in custody and they’re going to question you, they have to give you the warnings. If you’re not going to be questioned, even if you’re in custody, the police don’t have to give them. Say you’re arrested for drunk driving. They decide not to ask you any questions, so they don’t give the warnings. But you spontaneously blurt out that you “only had five beers.” Your admission of drinking can be used against you. The same usually goes if you peep up when you overhear the police talk about you to each other, such as, “This dummy is going to be doing some major time for all this juice, huh?”

What happens if the police don’t administer the warnings? The remedy is that your statements are excluded or suppressed because of the violation. Also, if the police find evidence as a result of an interrogation that violates Miranda, that derivative evidence may also be suppressed. Suppression of evidence may or may not require dismissal of the case itself. If there’s enough other evidence that is admissible, the case goes on.

Keep in mind that incriminating statements are often the most damaging evidence in a criminal case. Let’s assume that under certain circumstances you’ve decided that it’s not in your best interests to submit to police questioning. If you’re not under arrest, you can simply ask, “Am I under arrest? If not, I’d prefer not to stay and talk to you.” Then leave. If the officer replies that you’re not free to leave, then you can invoke your Fifth Amendment privilege by saying, “I want to remain silent,” or “I don’t want to talk to you.” If you invoke this privilege, the police must stop questioning you, at least for a good while. Even better, invoke your Sixth Amendment right by saying, “I want an attorney right now.” If you demand a lawyer, the police can’t question you further unless you reinitiate the conversation. [For a thorough discussion of your Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Amendment rights, check out Legal Muscle].

Rick Collins, J.D., a veteran lawyer and former competitive bodybuilder, is the author of the groundbreaking new book LEGAL MUSCLE: Anabolics in America, available through this site.

[ Rick Collins, 2003. All rights reserved. For informational purposes only, not to be construed as legal advice.]

Oh wow, I was just watching this yesterday morning on the same subject. Listen to the officer who talks after the law professor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing this DK. I took the time to listen to a majority of the video for a good refresher!

New Threads