Unpopular Opinion Thread

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is this coming from the old or new Testament?
The judeochristian god is the biggest insecure **** of any work of fiction ever written. He makes King Joffrey look like a nice, well adjusted guy. Regardless of testiment or religious offshoot, Judaism, Islam, Christianity, ect.

I don't think true evil has ever been written. Greatest villain of all time.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
The judeochristian god is the biggest insecure **** of any work of fiction ever written. He makes King Joffrey look like a nice, well adjusted guy. Regardless of testiment or religious offshoot, Judaism, Islam, Christianity, ect.

Sounds as if you have some strong opinions. I’m wondering what you mean about the judeochristian god being insecure.

What do you mean when you talk
about greatest villain?

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds as if you have some strong opinions. I’m wondering what you mean about the judeochristian god being insecure.

What do you mean when you talk
about greatest villain?
Insecure as in making a golden cow sculpture is good for selling your followers into slavery.

The idea of Jesus is a classic abusive tactic. I did all this to save you from me!

If you read the book without bias, it's an interdementional alien who created everything, punishes the offspring of his creation every time he neglects them and they stray from worshiping him, allows his followers to be oppressed by those who don't believe he exists.

It's wild to me that someone could read the book and be like, oh yeah, that God dude loved his people. Dude has a body count that puts everyone in the world to shame. Killing whole societies because some of the people are gay and shit.

Janoy Cresva

Reaction score

That's nice and all, but that didn't really answer my question lol

That golden calf story is old Testament correct?

Last edited:

sfw509

Reaction score
The real golden rule - the ones with the most gold, make the rules...

I'm not going to be making any rules in my lifetime. Ha.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Do you contest that the old testiment isn't the same God?

The new Testament isn't absent the ol' god being the biggest **** of all time.

1 Corinthians 14 34-35
Matthew 5 29-30

And never forget, the "slaves should submit to their masters" talk literally never ends. Since after all, the book is entirely about submission to all forms of authority without question and that was always its function in society.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Do you contest that the old testiment isn't the same God?

The new Testament isn't absent the ol' god being the biggest **** of all time.

1 Corinthians 14 34-35
Matthew 5 29-30

And never forget, the "slaves should submit to their masters" talk literally never ends. Since after all, the book is entirely about submission to all forms of authority without question and that was always its function in society.

I know people would routinely sell
themselves into slavery in Roman society if they were in significant debt. As a student of stoicism and daily reader of Epictetus, I know he led a satisfying life and was a slave for much of it. Born into slavery.

If you hold that “god” is all powerful than he could have easily made it that we all worshipped him. Instead it does seem that people have freedom to call “god” a “big ****”.

Why would an all
powerful being need manipulation and “religion” to achieve his ends?

I can’t get into a debate on the Bible. I don’t know enough. I do live in a foreign country and have for 8 years. I have Japanese family members and there is still stuff I don’t really understand.

If we want to understand the Bible that would entail an understanding of times 2-3000 years ago and understanding of a foreign culture.

This
issue seems like
it hits close
to home
for you.

While I respect Jesus, I acknowledge that his followers can be unloving and unchrist like. Have you
had similar bad experiences as I have?

1bigun11

Elite
Reaction score
Is this coming from the old or new Testament?

I think the Old Testament/New Testament distinction is a bit artificial. When God wanted to stamp Jesus with approval on the Mountain of Transfiguration He sent Elijah and Moses to do it, symbolizing the law and the prophets of the Old Testament.

Similarly, the whole idea of the crucifixion of Jesus taking place on Passover weekend is a reference to the Passover story in the Old Testament where the blood of the lamb was placed on the door, and those households having the blood were spared. I don’t see how you get the full meaning of the New Testament story without the Old Testament story.

Likewise, when God sends Abraham out and instructs him to sacrifice his son Isaac, but then at the last second provides a substitute sacrifice Himself, it is hard to miss the analogy to the Crucifixion. In some ways the New Testament only makes sense if you bring the Old Testament along with it.

And of course you have those New Testament scriptures saying that Jesus is God, and the same yesterday, today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8. I don’t know how you get to just write off the Old Testament in light of those scriptures.

Peace.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Organized religion will be the ruin of mankind.

I don’t disagree. But a complete denial and rejection of anything spiritual is just as dangerous IMO.

My good friend wouldn’t consider becoming a Buddhist because Buddha wasn’t a Buddhist

He won’t consider becoming a Christian because Jesus wasn’t a Christian.

Yet his life is shaped by both of these men. I believe Buddha lived a very enlightened life. I believe Christ led a prefect life.

Yet there are Buddhists who are committing genocide in Myanmar and Christians who murder abortion doctors and walk around with “god hates fags” signs. This makes Buddha and Jesus very sad:(

Religion is indeed corrupt.

Faith can be pure, however.

Last edited:

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know people would routinely sell
themselves into slavery in Roman society if they were in significant debt. As a student of stoicism and daily reader of Epictetus, I know he led a satisfying life and was a slave for much of it. Born into slavery.

If you hold that “god” is all powerful than he could have easily made it that we all worshipped him. Instead it does seem that people have freedom to call “god” a “big ****”.

Why would an all
powerful being need manipulation and “religion” to achieve his ends?

I can’t get into a debate on the Bible. I don’t know enough. I do live in a foreign country and have for 8 years. I have Japanese family members and there is still stuff I don’t really understand.

If we want to understand the Bible that would entail an understanding of times 2-3000 years ago and understanding of a foreign culture.

This
issue seems like
it hits close
to home
for you.

While I respect Jesus, I acknowledge that his followers can be unloving and unchrist like. Have you
had similar bad experiences as I have?
Mythology is a thing I enjoy in general. I do think a person with an imaginary friend yielding a book hat justifies any action they take through a series of contradicting parables and commandments isn't a good thing in a leader. If you're living by the ideals of the Bible, you don't wash your hands before eating, you don't retaliate against any attack on you personally, you mutilate yourself for your sins, and you give away all your personal wealth to those who need it beyond what you need for survival.

So if you're truly living in a Christian theocracy, you're living in communist authoritarianism where your entire life is dictated by your love of God. Unless you're a woman, then you're simply the property of your husband and must submit to him in all matters.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Mythology is a thing I enjoy in general. I do think a person with an imaginary friend yielding a book hat justifies any action they take through a series of contradicting parables and commandments isn't a good thing in a leader. If you're living by the ideals of the Bible, you don't wash your hands before eating, you don't retaliate against any attack on you personally, you mutilate yourself for your sins, and you give away all your personal wealth to those who need it beyond what you need for survival.

So if you're truly living in a Christian theocracy, you're living in communist authoritarianism where your entire life is dictated by your love of God. Unless you're a woman, then you're simply the property of your husband and must submit to him in all matters.

It doesn’t sound like you understand the teachings of Jesus the same way as I do. He says all the laws can be summed up with these few words “love God, love neighbor”. I can dig that. I’m not sure where hand washing and mutilation come in;)

Did you dodge my question or just overlook it? You seem to be having a strong response to these topics. Any particular reason why?

I just enjoy understanding the world that other people live in. If you could help me understand yours I’d appreciate it.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t sound like you understand the teachings of Jesus the same way as I do. He says all the laws can be summed up with these few words “love God, love neighbor”. I can dig that. I’m not sure where hand washing and mutilation come in;)

Did you dodge my question or just overlook it? You seem to be having a strong response to these topics. Any particular reason why?

I just enjoy understanding the world that other people live in. If you could help me understand yours I’d appreciate it.
The answer was enjoying mythology. I particularly don't like people misrepresenting the mythology. Jesus did not undo the old testiment, did not change what a sin is, only offered a path to forgiveness and softened the brutal messaging that was off-putting from Judaism.

Matthew wrote the love thy neighbor as you love thyself. He also wrote "You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

You can cherry pick uplifting content from the Bible, but that is not the overarching theme or message. You could maybe fill 100-200 pages with positive uplifting content from a ~1200 page book.

Reactions: Jin

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
The Donkey Calf machine is the same damn thing as a Standing Calf Machine.

Yeah, I said it!!!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
You should all read the book of Enoch, now that makes more sense than any book in the bible

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
The answer was enjoying mythology. I particularly don't like people misrepresenting the mythology. Jesus did not undo the old testiment, did not change what a sin is, only offered a path to forgiveness and softened the brutal messaging that was off-putting from Judaism.

Matthew wrote the love thy neighbor as you love thyself. He also wrote "You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

You can cherry pick uplifting content from the Bible, but that is not the overarching theme or message. You could maybe fill 100-200 pages with positive uplifting content from a ~1200 page book.
Its great having another atheist nut. The mythology never interested me that much, but I love the science of it.

I know every argument made by apologist, and can explain all the common misconceptions. What I know the most is evolution , Ive read all of darwin. And some others.

So if any one wants to know how life comes from non life, or how the earth came to be.

Reactions: Jin

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like my food plain as they come - no seasoning, no salt, no pepper, no herbs or spices. Veggies just steamed or out of the bag. No cinnamon or crap on the sweet tater. Don’t eat potatoes or pasta - they suck. No cheese or bacon on the salad, put it on the side for the wife.
yeah I’m sure that’s gonna rub some people wrong who like food :)

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh and more importantly - the Yankees are NOT the best MLB team in New York

New Threads