New to forum.. getting back into lifting after a couple years off

Reaction score
Hey everyone

43 year old male. I've been out of my routine for the better part of 2 years after having 3rd child, having to change jobs and with covid lockdowns so I'm looking to jump back in and get strong again. I'm about 195lbs and range about 15% - 18% bf. Strength has definitely fallen but not as much as I thought it would. I ran a few cycles of test starting about 6 years ago, then went to blast / cruise for a couple years and then because of life circumstances I stopped without running anything. I didn't plan it that way but life circumstances happen.

I didn't notice any major negatives quitting cold and I was able to maintain about 90% of my gains while I was training and not taking gear. Since I've been spotty with training the last 2 years I've dipped a little more and I'm sure age is starting to factor in.

For training I typically do 3 day splits revolving around deadlift, squat, press with some ancillary exercises. I've followed 3-2-1 and RPT and have always had best gains with RPT so I'll probably stick with that. I typically focus on strength gains for the purpose of being strong and avoiding injury. I still practice BJJ a couple times per week and want to keep training long enough that I can teach my son once he's old enough.

Priorities are strength / injury avoidance but I try to stay relatively lean so I don't over bulk even though I sacrifice some strength gains by doing so.

The current plan is to continue to train for a few more weeks and get labs done during that period. I'll jump back in by running 500mg Test C weekly and keep it simple. Once strength is back up and I like the way I look in the mirror I'll probably start thinking through long term planning.. I really liked the way I felt B&C and being in my 40s I want to be smarter about how I go about things.

Specific Goals:
  • <10% bodyfat
  • Deadlift 400lbs
  • Intimidate daughters boyfriends

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I’m liking these new guys with their intelligent intros and reasonable attitudes and goals.

Welcome to the Underground.

sfw509

Reaction score
Welcome sir. Lots of good people here willing to help.

Reaction score
I’m glad to see I’m not the only one that is working on a comeback! I’m new here as well and can completely relate to life getting crazy with kids, work, unexpected events, not having the extra funds or room for a home gym when covid shut down the local gyms.... I just joined today so I can’t very well welcome you home but it is good to see an intro from someone with similar circumstances. Best of luck to you!!!

Reactions: CJ

New Threads