Besides working out what else everyone into? How you get into it?

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I just don't fit in at all.

In the Autumn of my years I am not obscenely wealthy, but I am comfortably well-off. Own our home and vehicles outright ... home is nice but not in a gated community, billionaire, ocean front shit. Vehicles are aging Toyotas, both good under the hood, one respectable looking, and the other one, the Dog Bus, looks like homeless people wouldn't sleep there if I parked it unlocked in a WalMart lot on a rainy night. Probably smells like "Dog," but not like pee or poop cause my dogs have all had a quiet, understated "class," with or without the optional 4th leg attachment. Both vehicles under 300 horsepower cause I can get where I want and even add a speeding ticket with less than 300 ponies.

When I get to the December 31st of my years, I will die with 0 debt, varying amounts having been donated to animal rescue groups, much satisfaction with how the 3rd quarter of my life went, and an overall peace of mind ... HOW the hell did I miss the memo on priorities? ... lol.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
One thing I really used to enjoy and need to get back into is fishing. Freshwater fishing for largemouth, bream, etc... I like to play the fish so I use very light tackle which makes it difficult but also very rewarding when you land a trophy. 6'6 med or light with a Pflueger president reel.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
One thing I really used to enjoy and need to get back into is fishing. Freshwater fishing for largemouth, bream, etc... I like to play the fish so I use very light tackle which makes it difficult but also very rewarding when you land a trophy. 6'6 med or light with a Pflueger president reel.
I just use a stiff bay rod and 20lb line when trolling for pike. :32 (18): I can just reel them in splashing on the surface.

I do like setting the drag low though

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ve always been into cars. Growing up my stepdad was a corvette guy and actually restored them as a hobby for people. Has several cars get Bloomington Gold Certified which is the authority on corvettes and the world’s largest corvette show in Bloomington, IL. Have had the pleasure of riding in a true Grand Sport as well as one of the remaining ZL1 camaros. Currently has a 67’ 427/390hp 4 speed convertible and a 72’ 454 4 speed coupe.

Firearms is another one. Just love shooting and hunting.

Blacktail

Reaction score
Anything outside, hunting,fishing,camping all top spots on things to do

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
That's the one I own. Me and Bobby must be talking about different ones, but I'm sure either is good.

Try the one I’m talking about trust me you guys won’t regret it

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Lately I've really been getting into audiobooks.

I always had a love/hate relationship with books. Loved the stories, hated the reading because my squirrel brain kept drifting too much to retain anything I had read.

My commute to work is 40 minutes each way and I found that after a while, music didn't really do anything for me it was just too mindless and of little value. I started using the Libby app (which I'll explain more later) and fell in love with "reading" again. My favorite series that I've yet to complete is the Dark Tower by Stephen King but there are many that I enjoy. My mind is definitely more satisfied conjuring up mental images of the things Im hearing than it ever was listening to music.

I cannot recommend Libby and Overdrive enough. They are both essentially companion apps for your local library that let you explore and check out their entire catalogue of content completely free of charge. If you have a library card, all you need to do is enter the card information into the app and you instantly have access to everything they offer. Just download whatever audiobook you want and it's yours to keep for 2 week intervals just like any other library book. It's nice because once the title is downloaded, you do not need cell service or wifi to continue listening. My little library has just shy of 9,000 audiobooks available for free and you can add library cards from out of state if you want access to even larger catalogues. Check it out if it seems interesting to you, the app and all the content it offers are free with no advertisements.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Lately I've really been getting into audiobooks.

I always had a love/hate relationship with books. Loved the stories, hated the reading because my squirrel brain kept drifting too much to retain anything I had read.

My commute to work is 40 minutes each way and I found that after a while, music didn't really do anything for me it was just too mindless and of little value. I started using the Libby app (which I'll explain more later) and fell in love with "reading" again. My favorite series that I've yet to complete is the Dark Tower by Stephen King but there are many that I enjoy. My mind is definitely more satisfied conjuring up mental images of the things Im hearing than it ever was listening to music.

I cannot recommend Libby and Overdrive enough. They are both essentially companion apps for your local library that let you explore and check out their entire catalogue of content completely free of charge. If you have a library card, all you need to do is enter the card information into the app and you instantly have access to everything they offer. Just download whatever audiobook you want and it's yours to keep for 2 week intervals just like any other library book. It's nice because once the title is downloaded, you do not need cell service or wifi to continue listening. My little library has just shy of 9,000 audiobooks available for free and you can add library cards from out of state if you want access to even larger catalogues. Check it out if it seems interesting to you, the app and all the content it offers are free with no advertisements.

Really nice. Thank you. I've been looking for a way to listen to Greenlights for free.

bugman

Elite
Reaction score
I enjoy fishing. I want to buy a boat one day, but since we're fixing to build a house. It'll have to wait. My dad start taking me fishing when I was first old enough to know what was going on.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I just use a stiff bay rod and 20lb line when trolling for pike. :32 (18): I can just reel them in splashing on the surface.

I do like setting the drag low though

Largemouth are ambush predators and lazy so you don't really troll for them. It's best to fish blow downs, brush pills, drop offs, under docks, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
My grandpa use to take me fishing never really cared for him much that’s maybe why never really took it up

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Travel is my most favorite “hobby”. I love going to new places, experiencing new cultures and eating new foods. Jol says travel makes you an interesting person and that being an interesting person is important.

Reading. Apocalyptic fiction, dystopian are my favorite genre. The Stand being my favorite book. Unabridged version there, Happy Crappy.

Psychology, spirituality, contemplation. Exploring silence and solitude. While simultaneously making relationships the keystone of my spiritual practice.

Music. I’m listening to music many hours each day. I love all kinds.

Listening and practicing presence. I am trained and have a degree in psychology but my passion is helping people I know in real life by being a deep listener, non judgemental and accepting them just as they are.

Helping people who have no social connections and who have been rejected by society: what I’ve dedicated my life to in my current country of residence.

I have a knack for making friends with people who have no other friends.

Practicing joy and gratitude. Mastering myself by denying myself. I am just as disciplined about my spiritual work as I am about the gym in fitness.

Cooking and being a part of this community are also big parts of my life which I derive great satisfaction from.

thank you all for that.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite pastimes is spending time in my garage. Box full of new parts, glass of bourbon, and some music going on my cheap ass bluetooth speaker.

Lately I've installed a few lift kits and currently rebuilding the steering on my Jeep with 1 ton running gear.

After I've built them for the street, track, or trail, I go use them with the rest of my time.

Reactions: CJ

New Threads