IMO why it’s a good idea to log your workouts.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I’m no professional nor should most my advice or opinion be taken seriously.

Few guys on here kept telling me to start a log a few months back and I originally though yeah ok that is too much work to log everything and remember to do it per work out. Few months later I have been keeping a very detailed log as some of you have seen on here.

One of the main reasons why it helps extremely is that the vets and monsters on here sometimes take their time to take a look and read over what your doing and give you advice and constructive criticism. Which along the way has helped me drastically.

Another reason is that you can see what days you went and what you did to help you keep a routine and know how long it has been the muscle group has been resting for and allows easy look up of what you did when to plan your work out day. I rotate rear delts and traps on different body parts days so it’s great for that to know when do do what.

Motivation is a big one cause you see what days you sucked it up and you can note it also you can see when you killed it as well. Once you get your log going it’s going to motivate you to keep going and keep logging it gets addictive.

Been busting my ass for over 3 years now (minuscule compared to a lot of you but I’m proud of it) and now getting compliments on back traps arms from dudes they put in work as well (sounds gay as **** lol). When people that put in the work say something positive means more that a regular person cause it means your doing the hard work and people notice that are doing the same.

Long story short IMO if your still in your first few years or starting off keeping a log is a great idea I’m glad I took the advice.

Take your time out it in the notes on your phone and in between sets log it in copy paste on here and your good to go and I guarantee you will find it useful.

online picture upload site

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have never kept a workout diary, my routines are pretty much the same as my early 20s. Once you find whats works no reason to really change. BUT for some a workout diary is something to hold one accountable and keep them on the right path.....

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Have never kept a workout diary, my routines are pretty much the same as my early 20s. Once you find whats works no reason to really change. BUT for some a workout diary is something to hold one accountable and keep them on the right path.....

Not for all especially like in your case been doing it so long with out one but for me it works love that I can look back see that I just did

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a big fan of keeping a log. It allows you to track your progress, see what works (potentially what combinations of movements have the biggest carryover) and what doesn't. It's also difficult to remember long term what you've done if you don't keep a log.

Crom

Reaction score
Started logging last week. It really helped me see I was doing way to much volume. Now I can streamline some things and really get to work.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more I do it mainly to keep track of the numbers I’m lifting because I have an awful memory but every rep matters If you want to improve

and the pros here give really good advice. Even the advice i have disagreed with I have paid attention to because there’s no simple right or wrong way sometimes.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Started logging last week. It really helped me see I was doing way to much volume. Now I can streamline some things and really get to work.

same thing that was mentioned to me and when I looked I realized too much volume higher the weight do less reps and started getting sore again it really does help me

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Bobby, your presence here, and later, your Log, have added value to this board. I am one of those who keeps his distance a bit, on+offline, but I am glad you do not, and have jumped right in from the get-go.

Dungeon Dweller

Reaction score
My memory isn't good enough to keep track of all my lifts and such week to week. I also leave myself notes like "too easy" "failed" if I couldn't finish a set. I don't get super detailed, basically "guillotine press 110x12x6" "db hammer curls 70x8x5"

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Bobby, your presence here, and later, your Log, have added value to this board. I am one of those who keeps his distance a bit, on+offline, but I am glad you do not, and have jumped right in from the get-go.

awwwww thank you kindest shit anyone has said to me

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would rather forget my sneakers, headphones, and water bottle than forget my journal. Of all the things I keep in my gym bag it’s the one Thing can’t do without

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score

I agree with this.

The only thing that I track these days is macros when I am either trying to gain or lose weight. Otherwise, I know what works for me after decades of training in the gym. Outside of keeping track from a weight poundage standpoint, there would be no benefit for me. I use the mirror to track myself aesthetically.

With that said, it is a way for some to find motivation to go to the gym and that in itself is worth its weight in gold. Not to mention for those who like to look back years later, it is a way to look at old lifting numbers.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I would rather forget my sneakers, headphones, and water bottle than forget my journal. Of all the things I keep in my gym bag it’s the one Thing can’t do without

headphones is a tough one lol speaking of that I lost one of mine need to find or buy new ones ASAP

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
headphones is a tough one lol speaking of that I lost one of mine need to find or buy new ones ASAP

I love these. Listen to them a lot but only needs charged about once a week. Great sound, looks cool and stays on even when I sprint hills.

1E32F676-9B78-4F47-A9C2-E0E53DC6DBD4.jpg

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I forgot mine recently. It was an interesting experience to really be able to hear the sound of my breathing. It highlighted places where I hold my breath. I would never intentionally go without headphones, but it was far from being a wasted session.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I love these. Listen to them a lot but only needs charged about once a week. Great sound, looks cool and stays on even when I sprint hills.

View attachment 11938

I forgot mine recently. It was an interesting experience to really be able to hear the sound of my breathing. It highlighted places where I hold my breath. I would never intentionally go without headphones, but it was far from being a wasted session.

Well I rushed home cause if kitchen remodel and forgot to buy or look for lost one so I’m SOL guess listening to breathing it is lol

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Also prob too late for a prework out as well regardless I’m going

New Threads