Considering upgrading UG to Xenforo software

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
All,

Im very much considering the jump to Xenforo software for UG. Curious what your concerns, thoughts are with a potential change.

What are your must have’s threat you have now?

What would you like to have that we do not have now?

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
All,

Im very much considering the jump to Xenforo software for UG. Curious what your concerns, thoughts are with a potential change.

If it makes things easier for you on the back end I'm all for it. Considering the guys who made everything good about vbulletin left and created xenforo I'd think it would be the platform that's best to work on.

lifter6973

Expert Alcoholic Fraudster
Reaction score
I don't have any issues mainly because I do not know what and how much will change. I am still getting somewhat used to this forum again after having been away for some time but I definitely like it. I do like the panel on the left showing the most recent activity and posts regardless of where they are located. I do find some threads in here when I click on them seem way outdated.
All,

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
It's hard for me to say, because I am such a neophyte at this kind of stuff. I almost exclusively look at this forum on my iPhone, so I guess I would say whichever platform optimize is better in that direction I'd be a fan of. I have no problem with the way things are now. I do not use Tapa.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
All,

so proM uses xenforo, the one thing i dont like is the way the pm's work, its all about chats instead of actual private messages, other than that it looks nice and if its easier to run and manage and has greater security then by all means run with it...

will it still allow us to change the layout? i like being able to switch the layout for specific instances and on different devices...

Sicwun88

Reaction score
No issues here!
Whatever is best and easiest for you!

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
so proM uses xenforo, the one thing i dont like is the way the pm's work, its all about chats instead of actual private messages, other than that it looks nice and if its easier to run and manage and has greater security then by all means run with it...

will it still allow us to change the layout? i like being able to switch the layout for specific instances and on different devices...

I know what you mean, I will make the system match our pm system.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, I will make the system match our pm system.

awesome!! collio man make it so!

how long should we expect downtime?

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
awesome!! collio man make it so!

how long should we expect downtime?

There should be no down time. It’s going to take a couple of weeks to develop the new forum and then make the change to Xenforo. All of it will be pretested on the server and once I’m comfortable with it, it will go live. Just flip the switch.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There should be no down time. It’s going to take a couple of weeks to develop the new forum and then make the change to Xenforo. All of it will be pretested on the server and once I’m comfortable with it, it will go live. Just flip the switch.

nice i need more I.T. experiences...

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How will this impact new traffic?

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
How will this impact new traffic?

Im not sure yet. I hope SEO will remain strong and will try to keep it consistent with what we have now and then once stable build on it.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I don't have any issues whatsoever with how the layout is now. Everything works well but if it could be an improvement... I say why not.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I have no idea what any of this means but i support anything you decide

Eric Smith

Elite
Reaction score
You are the man M
Wish some of the other boards took this pride. The one is pretty good but others im sure u know are off line a lot. But things are good there. So I can’t complain.
Thsnks M
pride
All,

New Threads