Looking like you LIFT

Crom

Reaction score
For those of us with Average to below average genetics. When did you notice your Bro muscles start to come in: Chest, arms, back, shoulder? At my current stage of progress I feel like a block of cheese, a brick perhaps. After 18 months my delts and arms have been a struggle.

If I look at a treadmill my legs grow and my calves get a pump. I really wish my biceps responded to weight like my calves do. I'd be in Gym Bro heaven.

Joined this forum because my powerlifting buddy and my hypertrophy buddy said I don't have the genetics to build size. I was about to drop lifting all together. I'm just not ready to give up. I just love pushing myself and heavy weight. I just want to see some returns on my effort. Feeling a bit like a bigger skinny-fat version of my smaller self.

5'11 200 pounds.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
For those of us with Average to below average genetics. When did you notice your Bro muscles start to come in: Chest, arms, back, shoulder? At my current stage of progress I feel like a block of cheese, a brick perhaps. After 18 months my delts and arms have been a struggle.

If I look at a treadmill my legs grow and my calves get a pump. I really wish my biceps responded to weight like my calves do. I'd be in Gym Bro heaven.

Joined this forum because my powerlifting buddy and my hypertrophy buddy said I don't have the genetics to build size. I was about to drop lifting all together. I'm just not ready to give up. I just love pushing myself and heavy weight. I just want to see some returns on my effort. Feeling a bit like a bigger skinny-fat version of my smaller self.

5'11 200 pounds.

Bullshit to your buddies. Looking at your pics, I'd bet $$$$$ that you could get a very enviable physique.

Crom

Reaction score
Bullshit to your buddies. Looking at your pics, I'd bet $$$$$ that you could get a very enviable physique.

Thanks. Well, one of them is 340 and the other a wide 215 pounds. I'm sure to them I look pretty small.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Thanks. Well, one of them is 340 and the other a wide 215 pounds. I'm sure to them I look pretty small.

First thought is you'd have an athletic looking physique, lean and muscled.

Crom

Reaction score
I used to have that concern, especially in my early 20's. Just like your 401k, it pays over time.

I like that analogy. So when did you notice? :) if it's going to be like my 401k I'll be 65, that's if I don't drop of a heart attack before I get to enjoy any of it.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
For those of us with Average to below average genetics. When did you notice your Bro muscles start to come in: Chest, arms, back, shoulder?

Well I started at 15 y.o. and your nuts have barely dropped so that's not fair to say. I can say in about that 18 months you mentioned, other people were noticing.

I really wish my biceps responded to weight like my calves do. I'd be in Gym Bro heaven.

Ok, now that's funny. lol (From a guy with shitty calves)

5'11 200 pounds.

Fuuk your "Buddies" because they don't know shit and anyone that would drive a friend away from lifting is no friend at all.

So you'll never squat 800 lbs or have 20" arms at 6% BF... who cares?! Just go in the gym, enjoy your time there and make a better version of yourself. Oh, and check my sign-off below.

Crom

Reaction score
Well I started at 15 y.o. and your nuts have barely dropped so that's not fair to say. I can say in about that 18 months you mentioned, other people were noticing.

Ok, now that's funny. lol (From a guy with shitty calves)

Fuuk your "Buddies" because they don't know shit and anyone that would drive a friend away from lifting is no friend at all.

So you'll never squat 800 lbs or have 20" arms at 6% BF... who cares?! Just go in the gym, enjoy your time there and make a better version of yourself. Oh, and check my sign-off below.

WTH! I won't squat 800 pounds? This is not acceptable. Maybe if I add Nestle Quik to 5 scoops of protein powder I'll get those 20's. I feel you. So did you build those abs in the kitchen or over 30 years? Those are some deep cuts.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Don't use the "bad genetics" excuse to not push yourself. You don't know where you'll end up till you push your body to the limit. Squat 800? Don't know but only one way to find out. Get under a bar and start pushing your boundary. 20" arms? Perhaps, rep after rep and stretch that muscle fascia.

Don't let other sway you from your goals.

Reaction score
I have similar genetics and struggle with this same thing. For the longest time, 1st year and a half, all I wanted was to at least look like I worked out. Then one day people started noticing and making comments. One time a random stranger asked me how much I bench press LOL. I had finally arrived!

Now I'm dealing with health issues, and have taken significant steps back. I'm lean, but I don't look like I lift again. Oh well.

The biggest thing that has helped me with these feelings is focusing on progress. Taking photos and comparing 6-12 mos differences. That is where I can really see my work paying off.

Try to do the same pose with the same light in front of the same mirror. I've had some pretty impressive results doing that. 3 month differences are hard to see, but when you go out 6- 12, you should see something.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a hard gainer and also don't look like I lift. However at one point in my life I was 190lbs @ 8% bf, and I'm only 5'8... I thought I looked pretty good and thick for my height. If could do it, then I feel like most people can do it.

Don't give up... and when you're feeling that lack of motivation then just check into UGBB. We'll simultaneously give you a kick in the ass, and motivate/pump you up at the same time.

Lift heavy.... Lift hard my friend.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I feel you. So did you build those abs in the kitchen or over 30 years? Those are some deep cuts.

Stay lean and you'll always have some abs. I don't do much at all for abs, spend more time on calves.

Crom

Reaction score
Don't use the "bad genetics" excuse to not push yourself. You don't know where you'll end up till you push your body to the limit. Squat 800? Don't know but only one way to find out. Get under a bar and start pushing your boundary. 20" arms? Perhaps, rep after rep and stretch that muscle fascia.

Don't let other sway you from your goals.

I hear you. My waist is like 34 inches atm. I feel like I have my mothers hips.

My squats gone up a good amount. Started on the bar and I'm at 315. My goal when I started was 315 on the main lifts. Hit it two out of three. 315 bench is gonna take some time. When I reached a 275 on the bench I tweaked my shoulder. lol

Crom

Reaction score
Stay lean and you'll always have some abs. I don't do much at all for abs, spend more time on calves.

Treadmill with the incline set to 10 AT 2.5 SPEED. I do this and really dig in when I get bored siting there pumping my calves, with drool coming out of my mouth.

Crom

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a hard gainer and also don't look like I lift. However at one point in my life I was 190lbs @ 8% bf, and I'm only 5'8... I thought I looked pretty good and thick for my height. If could do it, then I feel like most people can do it.

Don't give up... and when you're feeling that lack of motivation then just check into UGBB. We'll simultaneously give you a kick in the ass, and motivate/pump you up at the same time.

Lift heavy.... Lift hard my friend.

190 5'8 with 8% BF sounds pretty good. What are you at now?

Crom

Reaction score
I have similar genetics and struggle with this same thing. For the longest time, 1st year and a half, all I wanted was to at least look like I worked out. Then one day people started noticing and making comments. One time a random stranger asked me how much I bench press LOL. I had finally arrived!

Now I'm dealing with health issues, and have taken significant steps back. I'm lean, but I don't look like I lift again. Oh well.

The biggest thing that has helped me with these feelings is focusing on progress. Taking photos and comparing 6-12 mos differences. That is where I can really see my work paying off.

Try to do the same pose with the same light in front of the same mirror. I've had some pretty impressive results doing that. 3 month differences are hard to see, but when you go out 6- 12, you should see something.

Sorry to hear you had some health issues. I know how that goes. Well, I've got some April pics up in my profile and I just started a new program. I'm going to run it till my body begs me to stop. Hoping I can go for at least six months. After this run I'll post up a new pic to see where I'm at. I'm backing away from volume training some and moving more into HIT. Not Mentzer style, that's not enough to satisfy my soul. More Dorian with some extra warm ups.

Hope you can get back to it.

New Threads