Any reptile owners?

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I have reptile/monitor lizard as the tops of my boots .

If you'd posted this a little faster you coulda had Hobbes (the re-homed Nile Monitor) as the bottoms of your boots.

As is/was, Wife's co-worker's brother worked for the state-run bad boys home. Hobbes lived out his years in a tank in a classroom there, may he rest in pieces ......

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He’ll be along shortly.

Sorry, I'm fashionably late.

Yea I'm a huge reptile guy. Have owned hundreds throughout the years. Boas and pythons are my main focus, locale specific most recent.

I've down sized alot, but atm I have reticulated pythons, Suriname boas, Argentine boa, Hog island boas, jamaican boa, pearl island boa, blood pythons, barranquilla Colombian boas, green tree python, sonoran desert boas...I think that's it. Also have a Savannah monitor and rhino iguana.

Reactions: Jin

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've owned demerils before Madagascar closed their gates. A few ball pythons, a red tail, and a couple of corn snakes.
Inverts are what I am I to now. I have 22 species of tarantula currently and am looking to start breeding soon. I have a mature Hapalopus sp. Columbia male and 2 females that will make me hundreds of ewls.
My largest is a 4 year old lasiodora pahrybhana which is likely 9 to 10 inches in dls. Fangs over an inchlong.
I've heard monitors are really good pets and some are smarter than the average dog, capable of solving puzzles.

Owned many tarantulas over the years, but all the ones I really dig, ornamentals, sunburst baboons, cobalt blue, green bottle blue, Venezuelan sun tiger, etc...all create webs and stay in them. So you never see them. The sunburst baboon was right though. He'd run out of his web and attack the tank anytime I walked by.

I have a mexican fireleg as of now but that's it.

Last edited:

Crom

Reaction score
Wow that's a lot. Are you a breeder? Are you located in the states? I'm in Northwest Florida at the moment. Anything really cool you have you could post a pic of?

Crom

Reaction score
Owned many tarantulas over the years, but all the ones I really dig, ornamentals, sunburst baboons, cobalt blue, green bottle blue, Venezuelan sun tiger, etc...all create webs and stay in them. So you never see them. The sunburst baboon was right though. He'd run out of his web and attack the tank anytime I walked by.

Forgot to quote you on my reply, Rise.

Sickman

Paragon
Reaction score
I've got a western hognose snake and a common musk turtle. I love reptiles. I always have.

Crom

Reaction score

I'm thinking about getting a starter tarantula. Something easy like a rose hair. Would you suggest something else for a starter one?

Crom

Reaction score
I've got a western hognose snake and a common musk turtle. I love reptiles. I always have.

I hear hognoses are really cool. I hear they actually have a bit of a personality. Rescued a few Box Turtles out of the road this spring but I haven't owned any Turtles.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a starter tarantula. Something easy like a rose hair. Would you suggest something else for a starter one?

Rose hair was my first tarantula when I was a kid. Those or pink toed tarantulas are good starter tarantulas. If you got the money, Mexican red legged are also good starters.

I've bred snakes before but not a breeder, although I do plan on putting my hog island boas together this year. I'm also located in florida, just central. I'll see if I can find some pics of my snakes on social media and post them here.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Rise. Your making me wanna get another BOA.

Crom

Reaction score

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I luckily am friends with all the guys at a local pet shop so I get rats at cost. The rabbits for my retics are the most expensive.

Crom

Reaction score
I luckily am friends with all the guys at a local pet shop so I get rats at cost. The rabbits for my retics are the most expensive.

Those are all amazing. Way more than I expected to get out of this post. If I have any questions I know who to come to.

With ball pythons will they get used to their owners, like start to recognize you and stuff? Should I be handling as much as possible?

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ball pythons are shy by nature. Snakes get use to routine, they never learn to recognize you mainly bc they cannot see like you or me. I always use a snake hook when dealing with my snakes bc almost all of them will mistake me for food if I just reach in and grab them. Handling deff helps them calm down, but not when they are in a newenvironment. Always let a snake take in new environments for about 2 weeks before handeling. But other than that handeling frequently is always recommended.

Crom

Reaction score
Ball pythons are shy by nature. Snakes get use to routine, they never learn to recognize you mainly bc they cannot see like you or me. I always use a snake hook when dealing with my snakes bc almost all of them will mistake me for food if I just reach in and grab them. Handling deff helps them calm down, but not when they are in a newenvironment. Always let a snake take in new environments for about 2 weeks before handeling. But other than that handeling frequently is always recommended.

Good not know. Thanks for the information. My Pastel is pretty small atm, I'm going to look into getting a one of those hooks. I've seen videos of people using them.

New Threads