Newbie here

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

36 M 5'6 175lbs. Looking to get back into shape. I am starting my journey today! I am looking for information as to not re-injure myself, looking for recommendations for strength training, conditioning, and mobility. I am a USMC vet sustained several injuries overseas and have not been able to run for sometime mostly because I had (R) knee surgery. Currently, I have been feeling the aches and pain in the (L) which I am assuming is from a lack of mobility. I have been able to lose some weight to my current weight by changing my diet. I have been on this diet for the last 2 months and have lost fat but now I need to bulk a bit and gain some strength back. Workout plans: as mentioned before I am looking for recommendations currently my plan will follow a pull-push routine with a cardio day probably biking or rowing. Any suggestions or inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks fro reading.

Diet:
Breakfast:
Coffee with sugar free creamer
3 scrambled eggs with onions, red peppers, green peppers, & sriracha, salt & pepper
(occasional) bacon 2 strips

Lunch:
Protein shake with lactose free almond milk or fruit and veggies shake

Dinner:
2 Oven roasted Chicken drumsticks
cup to cup and half of broccoli
or
Ribeye steak
Brussel sprouts with bacon
(occasional) baked potato or sub a sweet potato

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG Vet, and thank you for your service. We are all indebted to you.

When you say you want to run a Push/Pull, is that with legs included in that split, or are you skipping legs entirely?

What equipment do you have access to? What exercises/equipment do you really like?

Oh, by the way, you're not eating enough. Time to stop eating like a bird. You want to grow some muscle, well you need the materials(protein) and energy(carbs and fats) to get that done. Don't be scared of eating.

You've helped us, we're here to help you.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Everything that CJ said.

Welcome and thanks for protecting our freedom.

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
As others have said thank you for your service and sacrifice. What type of knee injury did you sustain and what type of surgery was perfomed?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. My tour of was my pleasure I only did a small part. Many others before me have given much more my sacrifice was a small bit but nonetheless thank you guys.

So to answer your question regarding the Push/Pull I am trying to include legs in that split. For example, today I was able to bust out 2 sets of goblet squats (holding 45lbs dumbbell) I straddled the bench and used that as an assistant, I had to stop but was able to do some work. The rest of the workout was decent, flat bench, incline bench, dumbbell shoulder presses, tricep extensions all went well. I have access to the basic equipment that Planet Fitness has, not the best but it's a start. The exercises that I like the most are push ups/pull ups, and shoulder presses. I know I need to focus on my lower body big time!

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to add my injury.

Right knee torn meniscus interior and anterior, a torn hamstring, and fractured patella. <-this was service connected and received a surgery to correct the issues.
Left knee I believe I might have a torn meniscus as well (pain feels the same when I bend the knee). I am currently using a knee brace.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
First off thank you for your sacrifice. Any time I can pay it back, I will.

As for cardio and running, there's really no need for it, you'll just need some more time. Trust me, I have done the hard cardio and the long boring low impact stuff. My results were the same; yours will be too.

As for staying injury free, no guarantees on that but stay within yourself and listen to your body.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground brother! Make yourself comfortable and soak up as much as you can. Glad to have you hear.

Reaction score
Army here. we all know the Navy is where it's at so we wont debate which of our branches is better ;)

I hope your journey is full of success. HOORAH (HOOAH also)

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Add in legs and learn to box squat...properly.

Next, running... who does that anyways? Running is for people who want to be skinny fat. Instead push/ pull/ drag a sled. It'll help strengthen your knees/ connective tissue, strengthen your hips and burn fat which is what you want too.

sfw509

Reaction score
Welcome To ugbb sir. Thank you for your service to our country. Lots of great people here who can help you.

Reaction score
Thank you for your input. I will stay clear of the cardio don't need any more strenuous impact on these knees.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
welcome to the UG. thank you for your service.

New Threads