Car gas

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So I always wanted to know is it true that cheap gas burns faster and damages the injectors? I also hear that the silver and premium is the best way to go.I drive a Murano that I just got and I've been puttin Silver of BP

Reaction score
thts a myth my friend I have been a mechanic all my life from jets to forklifts to race cars and always use what your car requires if it says 85 use 85 u save money at pump and your car will get better gas mileage due to thts what it was built and programed to use.

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You will get better gas milage with premium gas. With cheaper gas your car experiences detonation( the fuel air mixure ignites while its been compressedby the piston forcing it down before its supposed to) wich is sensed by the knock sensor. When this happens, the computer retards the ignition timing, wich causes you to lose power.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cool, all My friends would say to put the best since it takes longer to waste.lol

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn lulu u went deep!

Reaction score
Sorry lulu your are incorrect see ya next time on this is jeapordy. Detonation only happens if the car was designed for premium and gets cheaper gas and it doesnt make the gas cheap as it crap its cheaper cause it has less addatives put into it. Ok you want deep here goes the octane rating of the gas is the rate at which the fuel burns the higher the number the slower it burns. In a car that is made for high octane this means high compression, super or turbo charged, etc etc you need the slower burn so you can ignite the entire fuel so that you do not get ping (ping is what the knock sensors listen for also known as predetonation to which they will retard timing to get under control) Now that being said if your car was designed for 85 or 87 octane it means it can use a lower octane gas cause it is ok with burning quicker. So if you have a car tht was designed for 85 or 87 and you put in 91 all your doing is making it so tht the fuel will not burn completely before the exhaust valve opens to which you are WASTING fuel. but hey what do i know only been a mechanic for 20+ years own my own performance shop working on top fuel dragsters and worked as a jet mechanic in the military. So if you want to waste fuel, get less milage, less power, and are made of money to throw away use 91 in a car designed for lower octane. American brains suck you think tht because it costs more its better couldnt be more wrong it costs more only cause of the extra additives needed to make it less detonation prone. I would love to use 85 in my 04 supercharged jag V8 but 91 is what it needs hell if I could find 94 id use tht cause I upped the boost lol

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jag for the in depth reply man, I don't know shit about cars so this gave me some knowledge.

Reaction score
of course boss lots of info on the net too if I remember correctly the murano which I love good vehicle is an 87 octane rating it will say in your owners manual

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It says 87 like u said but if I want improve performance 91 is recommended . Funny thing is I put 91 last week , the car was flying! Dude my car felt different and was acting like a pitbull! Ready to go!

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cool! Do u always stick to the same gas like BP or sunoko hope I spelled it right.

Reaction score
sometimes most of the time theres only 3 real distributors lol and companies like bp shell and chevron will just add their own additive package. Just cus its smithes or maverick gas its still gas and has to be at regulation to sell.

HH

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sad how gas prices usually drop around election time, and then jack up right sometime after, never fails.

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sorry lulu your are incorrect see ya next time on this is jeapordy. Detonation only happens if the car was designed for premium and gets cheaper gas and it doesnt make the gas cheap as it crap its cheaper cause it has less addatives put into it. Ok you want deep here goes the octane rating of the gas is the rate at which the fuel burns the higher the number the slower it burns. In a car that is made for high octane this means high compression, super or turbo charged, etc etc you need the slower burn so you can ignite the entire fuel so that you do not get ping (ping is what the knock sensors listen for also known as predetonation to which they will retard timing to get under control) Now that being said if your car was designed for 85 or 87 octane it means it can use a lower octane gas cause it is ok with burning quicker. So if you have a car tht was designed for 85 or 87 and you put in 91 all your doing is making it so tht the fuel will not burn completely before the exhaust valve opens to which you are WASTING fuel. but hey what do i know only been a mechanic for 20+ years own my own performance shop working on top fuel dragsters and worked as a jet mechanic in the military. So if you want to waste fuel, get less milage, less power, and are made of money to throw away use 91 in a car designed for lower octane. American brains suck you think tht because it costs more its better couldnt be more wrong it costs more only cause of the extra additives needed to make it less detonation prone. I would love to use 85 in my 04 supercharged jag V8 but 91 is what it needs hell if I could find 94 id use tht cause I upped the boost lol

If you are talking bout older cars( obd1 and early obd2 ecm's) then yes you are correct, but kn the newer obd2 system, the ecm doesnt have a set timing table. These will continue adding timing until the knock sensor senses"pinging" and then it will back it down to achieve maximum performance and fuel economy.

Reaction score
Sorry lulu I also am a programmer of obd2 cars and they DO have set tables in fact they have multiple tables in their ecm, and they use these timing tables depending on imputs from various sensors. Such as MAF, IAT, ECT, O2 1 and 2 depending how many you have, knock sensors, TB, cam and crank sensors, and the list goes on. But while you are correct that they have more control they do have multiple set timing tables they are programmed with. Their is no car out there that comes from the factory with no spark tables. They all have a set of tables that they reference and can add more timing up to a limit.

I can crack most cars ecm's and reprogram them I am best with 98 to 12 LSX powered cars thts my specialty I use EFI live, HP tuners, programmed chips and do a solder board on some of the foreign stuff, but also do jags, audis, VWs, hondas, subarus, and most mitsus. All of these cars are OBD2 and ALL have multiple set timing tables that change constantly depending on what the sensors say. Now I cannot say how ferraris, lambos, porshe or some more of the higher end exotics are setup but i can tell you for a fact tht they ALL have set timing tables that are setup on engine dyno stands with countless hours of programming done long before it is put out in the public. Like I said this isnt my first rodeo I do this everyday all day long and have for 20+ years you cant just throw a blank table into an ecm and then let it go out and it will be able to find out the most efficient and power without a starting point. Not to mention the engine would have to be equiped with some sort of dynometer to do so which to this day no car comes so equipped so it would have no way of knowing power. But the cars can determine fuel mileage and how well its using fuel by O2 imput and is constantly adjusting fuel and timing based on tht.

Not to mention "ping" or predetonation is a very dangerous thing to mess around with an NO car manufacturer is going to let a computer just keep adding timing till ping is heard and then back off that would be a very risky bet to make. Ping can destroy a motor so fast it would make your head spin while most ecms can pull timing very quickly it would be such a risk when they have to warrenty a car to just give it total control. When a car is manufactured the cars engine is put on an engine dyno and literally all these tech geeks spend 100s of hours programming the car in optimum conditions and then they back it off to get a program for the new car and its loaded into all the ecms based on the program they come up with.

NO car company not even lambo or ferrari cars come from the factory maxed out they leave alot on the table otherwise my buisness of getting more out of a car would be worthless and I couldnt get crap. Most cars I can get 25 to 40 rwhp more on naturally aspirated cars and alot more on boosted cars just messing around in their computer, I do it on a dynometer and make sure its safe as well but more can be made than how a car leaves the factory. True it puts more stress on the car but in all the 100s of cars i have programmed, most are newer camaros, corvettes, mustangs, hondas in the 02 to 2010 year range, every single one has set timing tables I think why people think they dont is because they have multiple tables not just one.