First Cycle: All You Need to Know

Get Some

Reaction score
Here is what I think is a good starter cycle for just about anyone. Please feel free to add to this or comment as you wish. This is an open forum for educated members so I'd like your feedback. These are my own words, not taken from anywhere, so feel free to comment away.

*Note - If this is truly your first cycle experience, please read all the way through and watch the videos*

Part 1: The Cycle (Injection will be discussed later in the post)

Ingredients: Testosterone (Cypionate or Enanthate), *Dianabol 10mg tabs

Testosterone 500mg EW Weeks 1-10 (two 250mg shots per week)
+Dianabol 30mg ED Weeks 1-4 (3 separate doses, 4-6 hours apart)

*Dianabol in a first cycle is not recommended for most.

+"Kickstarting" your cycle isn't the best recommendation anymore.

The first 4 weeks should be plenty of time to make great gains on Dbol. The first time I ever took dbol was at 25mg ED and I had awesome gains, so 30mg ED should be more than enough for a beginner. Also, that dose should be free of really painful back pumps for most people. By week 5 the Test should be reaching peak blood plasma levels and really kicking into gear.

Part 2: Protection & Maintenance

Ingredients: Arimidex or Exemestane and HCG

Aromatase Inhibitors (AI) - Use as needed when gyno starts to develop
Arimidex at 0.25mg to 0.5mg EOD or E3D and Exemestane at 12.5mg EOD

Testosterone and especially Dbol can cause male breast tissue to develop during the course of your cycle. This can be treated by using a suicide inhibibiting AI. This will actually stop the conversion to estrogen, thus limiting gyno growth. Nolvadex can also be used, but it merely blocks the receptor by occupying it and will not stop the aromatase process. You can run an AI throughout the cycle to help avoid getting gyno in the first place, but I choose not to because it can cause joint soreness and irritation if taken too often.

Part 2b: HCG

Ingredients: Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG)

HCG 250 IU Twice Weekly starting at week 4 or 5

I am a huge advocate of HCG. It mimics Leutenizing Hormone (LH) in the testes and will keep them from atrophying (shrinking), thus increasing the chances of full recovery for the Hypothalamic Pituitary Testicular Axis (HPTA).

HCG is administered most commonly through subcutaneous (subQ) injection with an insulin needle (slin pin). It comes as a lypholized powder and needs to be reconstituted with bacteriostatic water (bac water or bac). It's much easier than it sounds. SubQ injections are also much easier than the Intramuscular ones you will need to perform when injecting gear.

Here is a video on how to inject subcutaneously:

Part 3: Post Cycle Therapy (PCT)

Ingredients: HCG and Nolvadex and/or Clomid

For a 10 week cycle as such, 4 weeks of PCT can be recommended. I like to use a combination of the drugs Nolvadex (Nolva) and Clomid. However, beacuse of the half life of the Enanthate or Cypionate ester in the Testosterone, you must wait at least 3 weeks for your blood levels to drop below normal. At this point, your body will attempt a recovery of your suppressed HPTA. So, your PCT will start week 14.

In weeks 11-13 there will be no injections of any hormones. Blood plasma levels will peak somewhere in the middle of that time frame and then decline to the end. Herein lies the possibility of backloading a cycle with Testosterone propionate. However, I don't think it's necessary or appropriate for a new user to worry about doing this the first time around. Here is the HCG schedule for weeks 11-13:

Week 11: 250 IUs twice that week
Week 12: 250 IUs EOD
Week 13: 500 IUs EOD

*Note - DISCONTINUE use of HCG prior to commencing PCT

Week 14: 100mg Clomid ED and 40mg Nolva ED
Week 15: 100mg Colmid ED and 40mg Nolva ED
Week 16: 50mg Clomid ED and 20mg Nolva ED
Week 17: 50mg Clomid ED and 20mg Nolva ED

*Note - Either drug may be used alone, but I believe both used together are of greater value than either by itself

After week 17, if you've done everything correctly, you should be almost fully recovered. Your body may take a few more weeks to kick back into gear, but you should be well on your way.

At this point it is recommended that you give your body (and your endocrine system) some much needed time "off." Going by the book, you should take as much time off ans you spent on plus time for PCT. So, 13 weeks leading up to PCT plus 4 weeks of PCT equals 17 weeks off. On the 18th week off you can begin a new cycle if you wish to do so at this time. Many people take much less time off than is recommended, but to be on the safe side, this is what I recommend.

Needle selection and Injection

For most guys, a 23 to 25 guage needle thickness is perfect for injecting oil based AAS into the muscle. If you are of average BF% (15% to 20%) you will likely need a 1.5" needle length to get the job done in the glutes. For the shoulders, thighs, and ventroglute areas a 1" long needle will suffice.

Here is a good site that discusses different injection sites and techniques...

http://spotinjections.com/

If you are drawing the oil from a vial, I always recommend using a different needle to draw and to inject. Use a 20 or 21 guage needle to draw, as it will be much easier than trying to draw with a 23g or 25g. Simply screw off the drawing needle and replace it with a fresh sterile injection needle. Pull the amount of air into the syringe that corresponds with the amount of oil you will draw out. Insert the needle into the vial, depress the plunger on the syringe to push the air inside. This will help you pull the oil out of the vial. This is much easier if you have the vial upside down.

Here is a video that discusses Intramuscular injections (Next Post): The only difference I would advise is that instead of taking "3-5 seconds" to inject, spread it out over 30 seconds or more. This will help to desrease injection soreness that may arise later on.

As a final note I would like to point out that this information is intended to educate you on the proper procedure for completing a successful cycle for the first time. However, it is not an authoritative guide for success. You alone determine the success of your cycle through your dedication to diet and training.

Prior to attmepting this cycle, you should have a number of solid training years under your belt, have your diet up to par, and be free from any injuries. AAS will increase your strength far more rapidly than when training naturally and this will put stress on your connective tissues. This is a terrible idea if you are aready suffering from an injury.

If this is the first thing you are reading about cycling AAS congratulations, you have more information than most people when starting their first cycle. HOWEVER, there is still more research to be done.

1. Know what side effects to expect from each drug and how to deal with them
2. What to do if something goes awry
3. Always have all of your gear (including PCT items) in hand before you start the cycle
4. Research testosterone esters and their "half-lives"
5. Feel like you're more than ready when you start
6. This is no joke....you simply can't half ass it and have even decent results

**IMPORTANT**
As a side note, you probably WILL NOT find a reliable source right out of the gate. Trust me, this is for the better. It will force you to get invloved in forums discussing AAS and you will learn more everyday and meet great people. Somewhere down the road (hopefully sooner than later) you will find a reliable source. The number one rule you should follow is never ask anyone directly for a new source (or on the open forum for that matter) that you don't personally know. They are either going to ignore, cuss you out, or scam you. Any way you look at it, not a good proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
nice thread... hits all the good pts.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What he said! Great write up once again.

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Another great post get some. Personally I think even a 14 week cycle for a first time is ok. I know for me things didn't start getting good til about week 8 and I was still gaining at week 12 but stopped. If you are still seeing gains and diet and training is still on point, I personally see no problem with extending the cycle and extra 2-4 weeks. This also leads me to another point, it's always a good idea to have an extra vial of whatever compound you have lying around just in case. Not just so you could extend your cycle, but I've seen plenty of posts where people have dropped and shattered vials, gf's/wives tossing gear, ect. You don't want to be half way through a cycle and have to go into pct at week 6 because you knocked a vial off the counter and it shattered on the floor.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes yours is way better then my write up. Lol.

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Get Some!

One question: Is desensitization the reason that you do not recommend running HCG @ 250 IU twice a week from the beginning of the cycle?

Get Some

Reaction score
LOL, I wrote this about 3 years ago bro, you'll get there! At one point back in the day I just got tired of people asking the same damn questions so I stuck this thread at TID so I'd have a place to send the noobs to! lol Hence the little bit at the end about how it's not a piece of cake to find a good source straight out of the gate ;)

Yes yours is way better then my write up. Lol.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol I wrote a nice one up at Ology a while back and one here too. I'll see if I can find it.

Get Some

Reaction score
You can definitely start it at the outset of the cycle, btu I find what works best for me with hcg is to have it on hand and use it as needed. Fortunately I respond well to low to moderate doses of just about everything so I can afford to wait and see if I need it. You really have to run a lot of hcg to desensitize the leydigs, BUT extended use is much more likely to desensitize than a big dose all at once. But, if you wanted to run a moderate dose a couple times a week for 14 weeks that should be fine. For those of you that run 20+ week cycles I would split it up. Again, this has to do also with the body always trying to achieve homeostasis and becoming immune to the effects at a certain point.

Thanks for the info Get Some!

One question: Is desensitization the reason that you do not recommend running HCG @ 250 IU twice a week from the beginning of the cycle?

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
lol kinda similar to the one I just posted... making me look like a fucking asshole.

except i didn't write a damn word of mine lol ;)

See ya in palm springs muthafukka!

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great tread. Shit broken down to barney level... It cant get any simpler then that.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
hey get some great post brother! this will be very useful for alot of newbies that join.:p

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is the post that got me to join TID. Made my first cycle a piece of cake.

Oenomaus

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's like a picture book for aspiring body builders. Great thread.

Reaction score
Make this a sticky!!!!!!

I will like to add something about reaserch, Guys make sure you read not only once but everyday you can about what you are going to get into it. Read others members logs ask questions on the stuff you may not understand very well. Remember a clear understanding of what you are going to do will save you from health issue or complications during or after your first cycle. Learn about AI, HCG,AAS and any drug related or involve in your first cycle, also keep as simply as you can.

Reaction score
Definitely should be a sticky!

Once you reconstitute the HCG, doesn't it only last for 30 days and have to be refrigerated? So my 5000 IU vial of HCG, I'm going to end up wasting 3000 IU of it if I use 500iu per week?

djkneegrow

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Gotta say for someone like me who doesn't know anything pretty much about AAS and cycling and all this is an excellent thread. I know when I am ready to do my first cycle this will be the outline I use. One of my favorite parts to all the information is the end with the 6 points that are made. Even now I feel more educated and can't wait to learn more here.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
another great sticky from our GET SOME!!

New Threads