Understanding BMR vs TDEE

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread, good stuff

Reaction score
Is it safe to assume that 6 years later, this is still an accurate way to determine BMR/TDEE?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
To add to POBs response, you can use 3 or 4 different formulas and should be able to average or get a better ballpark number for a starting point. And it is just a starting point. Adjust up or down every few weeks as needed to achieve your goal.

Reaction score
Thank you both. Looks like no matter who’s calculator I’m using, I should probably bump my cals a bit.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Thank you both. Looks like no matter who’s calculator I’m using, I should probably bump my cals a bit.

I’m jumping in without reading the full thread but my advice is to treat any number as a starting point only. As Bricks mentioned, it’s all about the adjustments.

If you have an iPhone, hook MyFitnessPal up to Apple health and the HappyScale app. Assume 3500 cals equals one pound of fat. (This isn’t completely accurate but works well enough)

Whatever you end up gaining or losing after a week you can increase or decrease your weekly calls by the necessary cals to achieve your goal.

Obviously building muscle throws this off but you should have a decent idea of how much you’re adding in a week. (Probably not much compared to fat)

What your body does with the food is a better gauge then any formula.

Reaction score
my weight is 400lbs and my height is 6 ft (72in) so my BMR = 3254 and my TDEE = 4475. I dont eat anymore than 3000 calories and im not losing weight...any suggestions?!? im looking to lose a substantial amount of weight again

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
my weight is 400lbs and my height is 6 ft (72in) so my BMR = 3254 and my TDEE = 4475. I dont eat anymore than 3000 calories and im not losing weight...any suggestions?!? im looking to lose a substantial amount of weight again
A couple of possibilities:

You're not tracking your calories accurately

You're losing fat but holding water for dietary or hormonal reasons

You haven't been dieting long enough to see results

You've vastly over-estimated your TDEE

Or you're a true genetic outlier for whom more aggressive/specific methods are necessary.

The last option is BY FAR the least likely.

Reaction score
A couple of possibilities:

You're not tracking your calories accurately

You're losing fat but holding water for dietary or hormonal reasons

You haven't been dieting long enough to see results

You've vastly over-estimated your TDEE

Or you're a true genetic outlier for whom more aggressive/specific methods are necessary.

The last option is BY FAR the least likely.
i used the equation at the beginning of this post and came up with these results. i have been dieting on and off for a year nothing really seems to work...

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
thank for helping me learn something new. i had a test done where it measured the amount of oxygen i used and it gave me a report on how many cals i need resting and what i would need to gain or lose...cant remember what the test was called had it done over 15 yrs ago

New Threads