body weight vs. #'s on the bar

Reaction score
So I don't know what to make of it in the gym when a dude who is 285 is dead lifting 415 and thinks he's the shit. Everything I have read from strength coaches uses your body weight to factor the weight you should be able to life. How does this apply to Bobybuilding vs. Strongman and what not. I keep seeing stats like 2.5 times BW on DL, 2 times on Bench etc....

Jake_House

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hope its not 2x on bench. If so I suck.

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For bodybuilding, weight on the bar doesnt really play a major factor. As for deadlifting, if you are built right, you are goint to be able to lift heavy. And built right i mean your typical short stubby dud, with short arms and short legs and a tick mid section. Me @6-2 252lbs 630 is the max i can and will prolly ever pull since i got long legs and long arms, its just really ackward.

As for the weigh to lift ratio i also heard about 2.5.

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bodybuilders don't care about weight they care about aesthetics... Personally I have always been geared towards strength over aesthetics, at least until recently (First time ever I am in the 8-12rep range consistently)... I'm 170 and can pull 405 and bench 275 and I'd like to think I'm decently strong for my weight

...clearly my deads are more impressive than my bench, always have been

Reaction score
agreed, I am much more geared toward the raw strength, Mark Twight of Gym Jones said something like training for looks dosen't equal fitness but training for fitness will always equal apperance, thats a shitty paraphrase

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
IMO you have average guy strength, natural or with aas, and you have abnormally strong guys that are the top power lifters, body builders etc. in the world. Its like every other sport, you have average Joes and the super stars. There are gonna be guys that are always monsters at 1 exercise and a lot of that is how they are built. Look up Ryan Spencer, he has pulled 660@165lbs. He was in gear but who cares, that is a crazy DL. He is built about as perfect as you could be for a DL though. I can roll into a 24 hour fitness or some bull shit like that and look like a beast but im average at best in a PL gym. But to answer your question, acting like a bad ass at 285 pulling 415 is not that cool. If he had another 150lbs on the bar id say ya hes strong but not great. As for as 2 or 2.5x body weight, I dont see it unless your frame is 100% maxed out and solid muscle. Look at basket ball players, some of those guys are 250 and up. Throw one of them under a bar and laugh. They werent built for power. Anyway, there is a lot of variables. Just do your best and fuck everybody else.

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It varies upon the person, just as big worm said. There are a lot of variables that come into play, but I would have to agree that a 285 lb guy dead lifting 415 isn't impressive. About two years ago when I was really into training, I weighed around the 215 mark and was squatting 405 for 4 sets of 10 and I'm talking deep, and was benching 425 for a max. Not sure about pulling, because I had a bad back the whole time and didn't do it. I didn't and wouldn't consider myself to be an elite lifter, but it's much better than that guy is doing. One of my buddies is 6' 4" and weighs 270 and he thinks he's a badass because he can bench 450. Yeah, that's a good bench, but pound for pound I was stronger and he still acted like he was something special. Thos guys are just tools IMO. As long as you look like you want it doesn't matter how much you have on the bar.

New Threads