Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Finastride pros and cons

Hey all,

I was thinking about including finastride (aka. proscar) in my current cycle, which is a first cycle, test only @ 550mg/week. Now I understand that it blocks DHT and thus can prevent hair loss on cycle as well as other DHT sides. But I don't see a ton of people including it in their cycle plans. Is that because they just don't care about hair loss, or is there a downside to taking finastride on cycle? Let me get a few questions down clearly here.

1. What are the negatives to taking finastride during a cycle?

2. Does this compound work to reduce acne on cycle as well? Or does it mainly benefit the hairline?

3. Any other comments or experience you have with this compound, please share!

Thanks guys!

Thanks

Re: Finastride pros and cons

I also have these same questions, nice post bra!!
    I SCORED A GOAL ONCE......

Thanks

In my mind, the biggest cons to using finasteride are the complete loss of libido and the fact that it makes your estrogen skyrocket. You need a substantial AI to control it and to be honest it can take 6 months to a year for you to even start seeing results. The stuff can be downright nasty for some people. I would use this ONLY if you have already experienced hairloss. Fina can regrow lost hair, but as far as preventing hairloss it may not be the best option.

Also, it's effect on pregnenolone is a bit alarming. Most I've personally known to use it have long periods of depression during and following use. It's one of those things that if you really need to use it then you're gonna have to give it a shot and see how it goes. But I hope that answers your question as to why not many use it. I inquired about it with my current doctor several years back and he said he would not prescribe it to me because he does not believe it is safe.

On another note, try using a shampoo/conditioner that does not contain sulfates. This is what I do now and I notice my hair is thicker and helathier. I know this sounds like Pantene Pro-V commercial, lol, but it seriously works well if you care about your hair. The stuff is pretty pricey, but still cheaper than finasteride.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Get Some View Post
    In my mind, the biggest cons to using finasteride are the complete loss of libido and the fact that it makes your estrogen skyrocket. You need a substantial AI to control it and to be honest it can take 6 months to a year for you to even start seeing results. The stuff can be downright nasty for some people. I would use this ONLY if you have already experienced hairloss. Fina can regrow lost hair, but as far as preventing hairloss it may not be the best option.

Also, it's effect on pregnenolone is a bit alarming. Most I've personally known to use it have long periods of depression during and following use. It's one of those things that if you really need to use it then you're gonna have to give it a shot and see how it goes. But I hope that answers your question as to why not many use it. I inquired about it with my current doctor several years back and he said he would not prescribe it to me because he does not believe it is safe.

On another note, try using a shampoo/conditioner that does not contain sulfates. This is what I do now and I notice my hair is thicker and helathier. I know this sounds like Pantene Pro-V commercial, lol, but it seriously works well if you care about your hair. The stuff is pretty pricey, but still cheaper than finasteride.
    Thanks Get Some, great info man. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have heard that it can increase estro, and that in a small percentage of men it causes libido problems, but I didn't realize that on cycle it could still crush the libido, I thought that applied mainly to off cycle, normal use.

Let see if others have more to share, but from this it sounds like I will be avoiding using this compound unless the hairline starts taking a major hit.

Thanks

Oh, and as far as acne.... Accutane is the drug that controls that. But, it's basically a vitamin A derivative that shrinks the subaceous glands so the skin produces less oil. Again, this drug can be really nasty. You put yourself at risk for psoriasis and other dry skin conditions as well as loss of libido and depression. Accutane is really only used for the most severe conditions.

If you really want to control acne you have to consume a lot of water, use topical treatments, and eat cleaner.

Thanks

And I can tell you through the years of my use of AAS my hairline has receded about half an inch. BUT, I think this is just in the normal pattern of how I am aging. I am not especially prone to MPB, so I'm not terribly worried. But, if you have a family history of MPB and your father is "Sphere Bald" then you need to consider other treatments.

I am in no way affiliated with the company in the link below, I just thought I would share it as an option for you guys because one of my buddies is having really good success with this stuff:

http://www.regenix.com/

Thanks

Oh, and as far as acne.... Accutane is the drug that controls that. But, it's basically a vitamin A derivative that shrinks the subaceous glands so the skin produces less oil. Again, this drug can be really nasty. You put yourself at risk for psoriasis and other dry skin conditions as well as loss of libido and depression. Accutane is really only used for the most severe conditions.

If you really want to control acne you have to consume a lot of water, use topical treatments, and eat cleaner.
    Yeah **** accutane that shit is evil, I had a few friends do that in highschool, no thanks I'll take a little acne. Its like chemotherapy for acne, that stuff kills your body.

Oh and for the record, I don't have issues with acne or hair loss at the moment, I was just kind of wondering/planning ahead in case these issues arise so I know what to do.

But seriously Get Some, stop pitching Pantene and Regenix, we all know you're sponsored by them ok it isn't fooling anyone.

Thanks

I started taking it two weeks ago. So far nothing to report. Libido is normal so far (but then again i am shooting myself full of test at the moment).

Now that Get Some has mentioned the sides i will be sure to keep an eye out. I'll be getting bloodwork done in about two weeks so it will be interesting to see whats happening. If it looks horrible i might discontinue.

I know Cashout is on finasteride, so you might want to check in and see his opinion...

As with all drugs, YMMV
    Powered by food, raw ambition, and an awesome woman.

Thanks

The problems come when you discontinue.. Sexual problems like ed etc. There are plenty of sites where members are having problems.

Thanks

Make sure you are running a solid AI and watch out for estro rebound because it can come at you double when on finasteride. Some people do manage to do well on finasteride but those are fewer than the ones to report all is well. Like I said, if you really feel you need it, give it a shot and see how things go. I just want to make sure people have as much info as possible before making a decision.

Originally Posted by sfstud33 View Post
    I started taking it two weeks ago. So far nothing to report. Libido is normal so far (but then again i am shooting myself full of test at the moment).

Now that Get Some has mentioned the sides i will be sure to keep an eye out. I'll be getting bloodwork done in about two weeks so it will be interesting to see whats happening. If it looks horrible i might discontinue.

I know Cashout is on finasteride, so you might want to check in and see his opinion...

As with all drugs, YMMV

Thanks

Make sure you are running a solid AI and watch out for estro rebound because it can come at you double when on finasteride. Some people do manage to do well on finasteride but those are fewer than the ones to report all is well. Like I said, if you really feel you need it, give it a shot and see how things go. I just want to make sure people have as much info as possible before making a decision.
    Thanks for the tips - they are appreciated. I'll probably start on adex twice weekly as the cycle ramps up - i guess the only way to know for sure will be to wait for my blood tests. I might go ahead and book the tests for next week prior to starting the adex. Next week is week 4 of this cycle - so thats probably a good time to see how things are going.