Live2Trains Bulking Routine

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Quite a few members from Ology like this routine, so I decided to post it over here as well. If anyone decides to give it a shot, let me know your results.

This is a routine that I have quite a few people at my local gym on and everyone seems to be doing really well with it, so I thought I would share it here in case someone is looking to change their routine up.

I make sure to tell them to go to failure each and every set. You have to have a training partner or spotter for this routine. I myself don't lift using numbers as I have been at it a long time and know my body well, and am one of those who can push myself to failure without having to shoot for a certain number. If you are on your 3rd set of bench and are going for six, you should not be able to get the sixth rep without minimal help from your spotter hence going to failure each and every set. Most guys like to save strength for the last set by doing all previous sets half assed as I call it. I think this is a waste of time and you're not going to get the maximum benefits out of your workouts this way. You are in the gym to build your body, not to act like you are in a bench meet and have to save it for your best bench.

My training split is:

Tuesday Chest and Tri's
Wednesday Legs
Friday Back
Saturday Shoulders and Bi's
Sunday Legs

I do abs and forearms EOD with minimal cardio just to get my heart rate up a little while bulking. Also, I change my leg routine up between Wed. and Sunday so I'm not doing the same lifts each day.

Chest

•Barbell Flat Bench Press
– great for building strength and mass in the pectorals, as well as the front deltoids and triceps
Start: Lie on a flat bench, grip the bar using a slightly wider than shoulder width position, and lift the bar off the rack
Middle: Slowly lower the bar until it just touches the lower chest, coming to a complete stop
End: Press the bar up, until your arms are fully extended

15 rep warm up set
5 sets – 10, 8, 6, 4, 4

•Incline Dumbbell Presses
– builds the upper and middle pectoral
Start: Lie back on an incline bench and hold the weights at shoulder height
Middle: Press the weight straight up over the head making sure the dumbbells touch one another at the top, and flex the pectorals at the top as well
End: Slowly lower the weight back to the starting position

4 sets – 10, 8, 6, 6

•Champagnes
– works the inner and upper pectoral muscle, really bringing out some definition. I call it champagnes, because at the top of the lift it looks as if you are pouring a glass of champagne
Start: Lie flat on a bench gripping the dumbbells with your palms facing one another making sure the weights are touching
Middle: Slowly lower the dumbbells within 1/2 “ of the chest making sure they don’t come apart on the way down; when you lower the dumbbells down make sure they are parallel and horizontal on the way down
End: Press the dumbbells up in a controlled manner making sure they are touching one another the entire time; once at the top of the lift tilt your wrists forward at a slight angle being sure to squeeze the pectorals

4 sets of 8, 8, 6, 6

•Pullovers-
works the entire chest, while also expands the ribcage.
Start: Either have someone hand you the dumbbell, or before you get down on the bench place the dumbbell next to you on the bench. Lie across the bench so that your shoulder blades are across it. Keep your feet flat on the floor with your hips parallel to the floor. Grip the dumbbell with both hands and hold it straight over your chest. Your hands should be against the top plate of the dumbbell with your hands facing away from your body.
Middle: Making sure to keep your arms straight lower the weight behind your head. It is important that you get a full stretch and that your hips do not come up. When you are at full extension your hips should actually drop towards the floor for an added stretch.
End: Lift the weight back to the starting point in exactly the same arc as you lowered it in. Make sure your hips stay down for the entire lift. Once you get the weight back to the starting position over the chest, flex the pectorals tight.

4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6

•Dumbbell Flys –
defines the pectorals and builds the middle chest. The motion of this exercise should look like McDonalds arches.
Start: Lie on a flat bench, hold the weights above the body
Middle: Slowly lower the dumbbells down to each side, bending the elbows slightly
End: Lift the dumbbells up, keeping the arms in a bent “hugging” position, making sure to squeeze the pectorals at the top

4 sets of 8, 8, 6, 6

Back

•Wide Grip Chins –
builds width for the upper lats
Start: Use and overhand grip with hands as wide apart as possible.
Middle: Let yourself hang with a full stretch of the arms, and pull yourself up as high as possible. Make sure you are not (kipping up) kicking your legs to through the motion.
End: Slowly lower yourself to the starting point making sure to get a good stretch.

I recommend that one should perform:
5 sets with as many reps as possible each set. Try to set a goal of getting between 50-60 overall reps.

•Close Grip Pulldowns –
widens the lower lats
Start: Grip the bar in a close position, sit and secure the knees
Middle: Pull the bar down to the chest once again being careful not to sway back and forth during the lift
End: In a controlled motion, extend the arms back to the starting position

4 sets of 8, 8, 6, 6

•One-Arm Dumbbell Rows –
allows for building each side of the latissimus independently
Start: Using a flat bench, lean forward, grip the dumbbell in one hand and rest the other hand on the bench making sure your back is straight parallel to the bench
Middle: Lift the weight all the way up until even with the side of the body
End: Slowly extend the arm back to starting position

4 sets 10, 8, 6, 6

•Bent over barbell rows –
builds mass and widens the upper back
Start: Standing on a bench or stepper with knees at a slight bend, place feet about 6 inches apart. Make sure your back is straight (parallel to floor) and your head is up through the entire lift.
Middle: Grip the bar with and overhand grip and lift the weight up until it touches your lower abdomen making sure you are concentration on lifting with your back muscles.
End: Slowly extend your arms to the starting position.

4 sets 10, 8, 6, 6

Triceps

*Close Grip Bench -

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6

•Seated Triceps Press -
Adds bulk to the entire triceps.
Start: Preferably use shoulder press bench, so you have a back support. Grip a barbell or dumbbell with palms facing up. Raise the weight straight up overhead,
Middle: Lower the weight with as far as the triceps with stretch, making sure your elbows stay close to the head during the entire lift.
End: Lift the weight up to the starting position.

4 sets 10, 8 , 8, 6

•Lying Tricep Extensions -
builds the entire tricep
Start: Lay flat on a bench with your head slightly hanging one end and your feet flat on the other end. Use a curl bar with an overhand grip.
Middle: Lift the weight in a controlled manner, and at full extension your arms should be between 45 – 60 degrees.
End: lower the bar enough to get a full extension of the triceps.
Most people lift the bar straight overhead and lower it to just above the skull (hence the name skull crushers.) I prefer to do the lift as I stated, because it allows you to concentrate almost entirely on the triceps, and takes the shoulders and joints out of play in this lift.

5 sets 12, 10, 8, 8 , 6

You can substitute lying dumbbell extensions for barbell extensions every other workout if desired.

•Cable Pressdowns –
builds the entire tricep
Start: Attach a straight bar to an overhead cable, stand close to the bar, and grasp the handle using a close grip palms facing down.
Middle: Press the bar down in a controlled manner, locking out the arms and squeezing (flexing) the triceps just like you’re doing a pose.
End: Bring the bar back up to a parallel position, careful not to move the elbows
4 sets 12, 10, 8, 8

Shoulders

•Seated Shoulder press-
This exercise is what really adds mass to the shoulders. Rotate every other shoulder workout (one using barbell and the other using dumbbells.)

•Dumbbell Shoulder Presses –
Allows for more range of motion than Barbell presses. Builds mass to front and side deltoids.
Start: hold dumbbells a little further than shoulder width and make sure they are at shoulder height, thus making sure you are getting full range of motion.
Middle: Lift the dumbbells straight overhead making sure the dumbbells touch at the top.
End: Slowly lower dumbbells to the starting position.

1 warm-up set of 15 reps
4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6

•Arnold Presses-

Should be used in conjunction with either barbell or dumbbell presses. This exercise develops front and side deltoids.
Start: Seated on a shoulder press bench for back support, lift the dumbbells to should height and shoulder width apart with palms facing toward you
Middle: Lift the dumbbells straight overhead, and at the same time turn your palms so they are facing away from you. Make sure the dumbbells touch at the top of your lift.
End: Slowly lower the dumbbells and at the same time turn your wrists so that your palms are facing toward you again, and the dumbbells are out in front of you.

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6

•Bent Over Dumbbell Lateral Raises –
An excellent exercise for building the rear deltoid.
Start: While standing grip a dumbbell in each hand and bend at the waist making sure to keep your head looking forward. Make sure the knees and elbows are at a slight bend.
Middle: Without swinging the weights or your body, lift the weights out to your sides as if you are trying to get your shoulder blades to touch. When you get to the top of the lift make sure you are tilting the dumbbells forward as if you are pouring out a glass of water.
End: Slowly in a controlled manner let the weights go back to the starting position.

4 sets 10, 10, 8, 8 reps

•Dumbbell Lateral Raises -
Develops the outer head of the deltoid.
Start: Grip a dumbbell in each hand and hold the weights out in front of you palms facing one another. Make sure to keep the knees and elbows slightly bent through the entire lift.
Middle: Without swinging the weights, lift the weights up to each side of the body, as if you were going to fly away. Lift the weights to about chin level. When you get to the top of the lift make sure you are tilting the dumbbells forward as if you are pouring out a glass of water just like the bent over lateral raises.
End: Slowly lower the weights to the starting position making sure to keep constant resistance.

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6 reps

•Barbell Shrugs-
Builds the trapezius muscles (traps.)
Start: Stand straight and grip the bar just past shoulder width with an overhand grip.
Middle: Shrug the weight up as if you are trying to squeeze your head between your shoulders, and hold it at the top for 2 seconds.
End: Slowly lower the weight back to the starting position making sure to keep resistance the entire time.

4 sets 15, 12, 10, 8

Biceps

•Standing Barbell Curls –
this exercise develops the entire bicep.
Start: Stand with feet at shoulder width, hold the bar in front of the body, arms extended fully.
Middle: Curl the bar up, keeping the elbows close to the side of the body, and avoid swinging the weight up. At the top of the lift get a good squeeze in the biceps. Imagine you are trying to crush an egg between your bicep and your forearm.
End: In a controlled manner, making sure to keep resistance on the biceps lower the weight back to the starting position.

5 sets 12, 10, 8, 6, 6

•Seated Dumbbell Curl –
Builds mass and adds shape
Start: Sit on a flat bench or seat, holding the weights to each side palms facing forward.
Middle: Curl the weight up, rotating the hands during the lift so that the palms face towards the body slightly past parallel to the face. This extra rotation of the wrists makes the biceps contract to their maximum potential.
End: In the opposite motion as you brought the weight up, slowly extend the arms back to the starting position. Make sure you get a full extension of the bicep each repetition.

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6

•Reverse Barbell Curls-
develops the biceps, and the forearms.
Start: Grip a curl bar with an overhand grip. Keep hands shoulder width apart and let your arms hang fully extended in front of you.
Middle: Curl the bar upward keeping your elbows tight to your sides. Bring the bar up slightly before chin level and flex the biceps at the top.
End: Slowly lower the weight back to the starting position making sure to keep constant strain on the biceps and forearms.

4 sets of 8 reps

•Preacher Curls –
builds the bicep, concentrating on the lower portion
Start: Place the chest firmly against the preacher bench, grasp the bar with an underhand grip, extend the arms
Middle: Curl the bar upwards, flexing hard at the top. You should avoid leaning back on the way up, as this will take some tension off of the biceps and you will be using more back and shoulders.
End: Slowly return the bar to the starting position

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6

Legs

•Squats-
builds mass in the entire leg, especially the quadriceps. You should always use a weight belt and have a spotter when doing squats.
Start: Step under the weight, with the weight resting across the back of the shoulders gently take it off of the rack and take a step or two back. Make sure your feet are shoulder width or a little further and toes are slightly pointed outward.
Middle: Keeping your head up and back straight bend the knees as if you were about to sit down on a bench. Make sure at the bottom of the lift your hamstrings are parallel to the floor and you’re looking forward. Avoid looking down as this can cause you to lose your balance.
End: Stand back up in the starting position without arching your back.

15 rep warm up set
5 sets 10, 8 ,6, 4, last set do a drop set of 20 reps (drop the weight so you can get 20 reps. This should mean on rep #15 you’re feeling like you can barely do one more.)

•Leg Press –
builds mass in the entire leg.
Start: Using a leg press machine, sit in the machine placing your feet shoulder width on the foot pad.
Middle: bend the knees allowing them to come back towards your shoulders.
End: Lift the weight back up to the starting position.
5 sets – 10, 8, 6, 6, last set do a drop set of 20 reps

•Leg Curl-
develops the hamstring
Start: Lie face down on a Leg Curl machine and place you heels under the leg pads making sure your legs are straight.
Middle: Curl the weight up until the hamstrings fully contract, hold here for a second.
End: Slowly making sure to keep tension on the hamstrings lower the weight back to the starting position.

15 rep warm up set
4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6

•Leg Extensions-
Shapes the thigh and helps to target the muscle around the knee.
Start: Sit in a leg extension machine and place your feet under the foot pads.
Middle: Extend your legs as far as possible until they are locked out. Squeeze tight making sure to get a full contraction of the quadriceps.
End: Slowly making sure to keep the tension on the quadriceps lower the weight back to the starting position.

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6

•Lunges-
Develops the thighs and glutes.
Start: hold a barbell across the back of your shoulders as if you were going to do squats. Stand straight with you feet together.
Middle: Take a step forward with one foot making sure to keep you head up and your torso straight. Make sure you take a long enough step so that your back leg is almost straight, and the back knee almost touches the ground.
End: With a powerful thrust, push yourself back up to the starting position with your feet side by side. Repeat this movement with the other leg.

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6 with each leg.

•Standing Calf Raises-
develops mass in the entire calves.
Start: On a standing calf machine, place your toes straight ahead on the platform and shoulders under the shoulder pads.
Middle: Lower your heels as far as possible making sure you get a full range of motion. Your knees should be slightly bent through the entire movement.
End: Come up on your toes as high as you possible can and flex the calves as much as you can at the top.

4 sets of 15, 12, 10, 8

•Seated Calf Raises-
develops the lower calf and the outside regions of the calf as well.
Start: On a seated calf machine, place your knees under the pads and your toes on the bottom crosspiece.
Middle: Lower your heels as far as possible making sure to get a good stretch.
End: Raise your toes as far as possible squeezing the calves hard at the top.
4sets of 12

Abdominals

•Cable Crunches-
builds the upper and lower abdominals.
Start: Attach a rope to the overhead pulley on a cable machine. Kneel down and grip the rope with an overhand grip with both hands.

4 sets of 20

•Decline sit ups
with plate held behind your head. Whatever weight you can do safely. Be sure not to pull on the back of the neck, just use your abs.

4 sets of 20

•Side bends
with dumbbells again whatever weight you can do safely.

4 sets each side 20 reps

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice post dude. Seems like a ton of volume though?

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice post dude. Seems like a ton of volume though?

It is bro, but everyone I have trained with it has made big gains in size and strength. I grow better with high volume high intensity training and apparently so does everyone else who has used it. It's not a beginner workout by any means and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It is bro, but everyone I have trained with it has made big gains in size and strength. I grow better with high volume high intensity training and apparently so does everyone else who has used it. It's not a beginner workout by any means and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Oh ok. I completely agree with training to failure. But god damn, really training to failure cripples me in about 12 sets. Looks tough.

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice routine, imma have to give it a shot on my next cycle.

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice routine, imma have to give it a shot on my next cycle.

Thanks bro! Post results if you would. It works and I guarantee the results if done properly with good diet.

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
good routine,but i agree with Milo,thats a lot of volume for one day at a time

Everyone says that. I have trained guys who have lifted for years with not much of a change in body composition. I got them on this workout and they were amazed at how their bodies responded. I'm not going to sit here and say it's for everyone, because we are all different, but so far everyone who has tried it has seen great results. Maybe it's time to up your own volume and see where it gets you. I'm no bodybuilder, but have a pretty damn good physique and it's from this routine and of course nutrition. Add in some AAS and watch out.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great looking routine, mate. This plus a ton of calories and I bet you'd get big in a hurry.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks like some great stuff in there Bro.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I amazing how similar your workout exercises are to the ones I am currently doing. I am currently on a six day rotation (numbered 1-6) with ONE body part each day. I change my routine every 8-10 weeks but I am getting amazing results right now and (this is week six) might stay with this until I don;t see any more gains. Here is mine:

1) Biceps/Abs
Twenty-Ones (7-7-7)
Decline Dumbbell Curls
Rev Grip Cable Curls
Sup Dumbbell Curls (Swiss)
Pull Ups
Preacher Curls
SloMo Dumbell Curls
Leg Raises
Swiss Crunch
Plank to Failer

2) Chest
Barbell Flat Bench Press
Dumbbell Flat Bench
Smith Machine Exp Bench
Forward Lean Dips
Dumbbell Flys
Smith Seated bench

3) Legs
Squat
Kneeling Ham Curls
Lunges
Leg Press
Seated Calf Raises
Standing Calf Raises
Quad Extensions
Glute Kick-Backs

4) Back
Bent Over Bb Row
Bb Shrugs
T Bar Rows
Db rows
Db Reverse Fly
Bent over Db Row
Power Cleans
Wide Lat Pulldowns

5) Triceps/Abs
Db pullovers
Jailhouse Dips
Skull Crushers
Tri Cable Pushdowns
Ovrhd Cable Extensions
Db Ear Crushers
Bhnd Head Cable Ext
Ovhd Db extension
Close Grip Bench
Kickbacks
Tri-Angle Pushups
Dcline Crunches
Leg Raises
Side Planks

6) Shoulders
Db Side Raises
Bb Upright Row
Military Press
Hang/Clean Press
Seat OH Db Press
Seated Arnold Press
Bb Rows - Standing

I determine the weight, the reps and sets by how I feel and if I feel I have a body part that is lagging.

Thanks for sharing - I'm sure I will steal something for either my next routine!

Respect,
Vette

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro, and yes you will. It's been tried and proven many times over already.

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn Vette, our shit does look pretty close. Try the champagnes for chest once. Make sure you use dumbbells with enough plates on them that when you hold them together they don't slip and smash your fingers though. Either that or use the hexagon ones that go together well. It's an amazing chest workout that will blow your chest up in no time. I do 3 sets on flat and 3 sets on incline along with everythig else.

Hollywood72

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Not exactly sure how the champagne looks but I'll give it a try

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
With the palms facing each other and dumbbells touching you lower them flat to the chest and as you lift you tilt your wrists forward and squeeze the chest at the top. Once you get the correct form you will love them. Be careful not to smash your fingers bro. You either have to use hexagon dumbbells or ones with enough plates on them so they don't slip.

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Going great bro! I'm up 12 lbs in 16 days and getting strong as shit too. I couldn't really ask for much more except a major six pack. LOL! Tough to have when you're bulking though, but it will come soon.

Capt'n Ron

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Very nice routine. I Just printed that one out to tape to the wall and commit to memory.

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Very nice routine. I Just printed that one out to tape to the wall and commit to memory.

Thanks bro, let me know how you're doing while using this routine. I love to hear feedback on it! I have a few guys at my gym that printed it out and carry it around the gym with them. They all seem to be loving it and so has everyone else who has tried it. It takes serious discipline though and no pussy footing. Straight up work and have a spotter if you can. Hope you enjoy it bro!

New Threads