Thanks

What is an Ester?

I'll admit, I'm the abundantly curious newbie that wants to learn as much as I can. So much so, that I wondered exactly what goes into this stuff we're putting in our bodies all in the name of strength and mass. I've heard the term Ester over and over again, enough to understand that there are many different kinds of esters used to create an injectable steroid solution. But what is an Ester? Is it the oil that the testosterone powder is disolved into? Or something entirely different?

Well, as I started researching I learned more than I probably needed to, but became fascincated in the details of how gear is made up. An ester is a chemical addition to the Testosterone hormone (C19H28O2). It bonds to it through a process called esterification, where the crystalized hormone molecule reacts chemically with an Acid that is applied to it; further crystalization and refining yeilds the powdered raw substance that various labs use to create their final product (which I'll discuss shortly). Ethanate (C26H40O3) and Cypionate ( C27H40O3), for example, are nearly identical compounds. Ethanate, however contains one less Carbon atom and is therefore the lighter of the two. Interestingly enough, this also makes Testosterone Ethanate the slightly more potent of the two, since the total weight of Free Testosterone in a dose is marginally higher. This is why in a 250mg dose of Test E, you will see 180mg of actual Testosterone. Propionate (C3H6O2), turns out is much lighter than Ethanate or Cypionate and wins the prize for potency per dose. And there are many more esters available like Acetate (Tren Ace rings a bell), Phenylpropionate (as in TPP), Decanoate (as in Deca Durabolin or nadrolone decanoate), and the list goes on.

So how does an esterified raw testosterone powder get used to create an injectable testerone product? Well to a certain degree thats part of a lab's secret process, right? No, I'm not going to tell you how to do it yourself, there's plenty of posts out there that can explain it better than I. Suffice it to say, it looks a bit like a home science project, with beakers, filters and acid solutions. Esterfied testosterone has to be suspended (absorbed) in an oil to be delivered into your body. In fact, the more carbon atoms there are in an ester, the more oil soluble a compound is. Not all oil is created equal... I can't tell you which is best, but I've read everything from Canola oil to Grapeseed oil is used. Now the question still stands in my head, if someone is going to have a negative reaction to a particular testosterone product, is it the ester or the oil (and thats assuming all sterility factors are out of the equation)?

What does an Ester do? Quite simply, an ester slows the absorption of the testosterone into the body. This delayed release makes it possible for atheletes and bodybuilders alike to enjoy the androgenic effects of testosterone without daily injections and wildy fluctuating T levels in the blood (as is the case with Test Suspension or TNE or Test No Ester, which is absorbed and effectively out of the body in less than a day). Esters allow for a variety of release times into the blood ranging from 1 day to 4 weeks. This delay leads into a discussion about half-lives (the time it takes for half of the administered dosage to remain unused), which are already well covered elsewhere. But for the sake of example, Test Ethanate has a half life of 5-8 days, depending on your own metabolism. At 8 days the useable amount of Free Testosterone has been reduced fom 180mg to 90mg and 8 days later to 45mg. This process continues until there is no more drug left to be absorbed. At some point, there is so little left, it becomes ineffective for further changes in the body (though still detectable). This is the time when Post Cycle Therapy can be started.

So, there you have it, a little science behind the wonderful world of Testosterone!

References:
    http://www.ftmguide.org/ttypes.html
    http://timinvermont.com/fitness/ester.htm
    http://articles.muscletalk.co.uk/art...half-life.aspx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 550 Posts

Re: What is an Ester?

Great post! very informative
    I <3 My Source

Thanks

Props OC for doing homework. Nice post bro

Elite
    Thanks

Good read!

Thanks

Thanks guys, it was kinda fun actually! I'm going to keep reading and maybe I'll get another nerdy post up soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,985 Times in 4,973 Posts

Great post!

Thanks

An ester is a very special time of the year were its said that rabbits laid eggs, and from them came Jesus, who later was cricified for witchcraft i beleive... But since he was bitten by a walker on an earlier adventure, he raised from the dead and went on his way to what is know today as Iraq. There he founded the terrorist organization known as al qaeda.
    US Goverment Policy: If It Ain't Broken, Fix It Till It Is.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,369 Times in 1,805 Posts

Originally Posted by Lulu66 View Post
    An ester is a very special time of the year were its said that rabbits laid eggs, and from them came Jesus, who later was cricified for witchcraft i beleive... But since he was bitten by a walker on an earlier adventure, he raised from the dead and went on his way to what is know today as Iraq. There he founded the terrorist organization known as al qaeda.
    Oh that is pretty funny.

Thanks

nice post ocd
    Eating ass is anabolic. .. Stick your tongue in and hold it there for 20 seconds! Wise words from
    TRODIZZLE