Thanks

Red face Dumbbell pullover

I always wanted to know if the point of this exercise is to make ur chest lift higher. Ive heard if u stretch to much ur working more on the back.
    Eating ass is anabolic. .. Stick your tongue in and hold it there for 20 seconds! Wise words from
    TRODIZZLE

Thanks

Re: Dumbbell pullover

It can be done a number of different ways... id guess the primary way is a compound exercise where you pull it back as more of a stretch overload exercise by pivoting @ the shoulder then once reaching the head using the elbow as pivot point to complete the flex. it hits the tri's pretty good but it could certainly hit the back too depending how you do it.

This is not really a pull-over but some body builders I have trained with in the past would lean back against a flat bench and stretch back with a heavy DB over their head until they got a pop in the sternum and they used this slowly spread out the size of their rib cage to make it larger. (i tried it and got the pop but haven't done it continuously so could not comment on its effectiveness personally but know multiple guys who did that regularly... i have a large frame & rib cage as it is but don't compete so never really needed/wanted to do it regularly)

Fallen Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,726 Times in 3,233 Posts

I use it for back
    [SIZE=2][B][FONT=&amp][B]Peace Out..............Have a Beautiful Life........................See You On the Other-side!!!![/B][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]

Thanks
    Thanked 18,098 Times in 7,789 Posts
    For back I prefer to use a cable. You can build a MONSTER pump in your back doing straight arm push downs.

As for dumbbell pullovers I would do them in my BB days on chest day. I like the stretch and the very tight contraction at the top.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks

So do u think it really helps to bring the chest up?
    Eating ass is anabolic. .. Stick your tongue in and hold it there for 20 seconds! Wise words from
    TRODIZZLE

Thanks

Hits serratus anterior pretty good. Lats are hit pretty good

Thanks

Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    For back I prefer to use a cable. You can build a MONSTER pump in your back doing straight arm push downs.
    I always include this on back day ^^^^ for me it gives a good pump and hits the lat longer/lower it seems

Thanks
    Thanked 1,598 Times in 932 Posts

It's primarily an exercise for the lats and serratus. I've tried it a number of ways and it really doesn't do shit for my chest. I'm not sure where this comes from.
    Don't be a pussy. Crack a high life. Pack a dip. Listen. Beat your ol' lady. Pet your dog.
    Cornelius Coanbread J. Oliver

Thanks
    Thanked 18,098 Times in 7,789 Posts
    Originally Posted by Jadakiss View Post
    So do u think it really helps to bring the chest up?
    No lol... I just liked the feel of the stretch cause I would get shoulder impingements
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks

The major reason these are done is to expand the rib cage giving the illusion that you are bigger. I like to squeeze the elbows tightly in towards one another as you are going over the chest. It gives and amazing pump to the chest. I do them either on back or chest day, it just dependes on when I want to add them in. It's a great movement and should be incorporated into every routine IMO. I like the straight arm push downs as well like Pillar stated. Try the pullovers like I said and let me know what you think. Your chest will burn!

Thanks

Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    It's primarily an exercise for the lats and serratus. I've tried it a number of ways and it really doesn't do shit for my chest. I'm not sure where this comes from.
    Try doing it like I explained and you will feel it in your chest big time.

Thanks

Make sure you keep your shoulders as high as possible as you are going over your chest. And squeeze the chest hard all the way trouh the motion. It works pretty good on a decline bench too.
    US Goverment Policy: If It Ain't Broken, Fix It Till It Is.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Live2Train View Post
    The major reason these are done is to expand the rib cage giving the illusion that you are bigger. I like to squeeze the elbows tightly in towards one another as you are going over the chest. It gives and amazing pump to the chest. I do them either on back or chest day, it just dependes on when I want to add them in. It's a great movement and should be incorporated into every routine IMO. I like the straight arm push downs as well like Pillar stated. Try the pullovers like I said and let me know what you think. Your chest will burn!

I've heard this since I was a kid. I stopped doing them becuase my rib cage sticks out damn near as much as my chest! lol. Great exercise!

Thanks

thanks for the info guys
    TRODIZZLE

Thanks

I havent done that for ages! Gonna do it tmr!

Thanks

Originally Posted by Live2Train View Post
    I agree! I do these at the end of my chest workout and really squeeze and push the heels of my palms to the sky. They burn like all hell if done right.

For back I use the cable with the straight bar and really pull using my lats. I try and think of my hands as hooks and leave my arms out of the equation. Two very different exercises for different body parts. Mind, body connection is key.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,983 Times in 4,972 Posts

Hits my lats very well. I use a homemade t-bar (functions similarly to a kettlebell but can adjust the weight) and a flat bench. Great finisher on back day.