My story with low-T and a bit about myself

Reaction score
Greetings members!

It's been close to a year and a half now since I discovered I suffer from low testosterone. I am currently 33 years of age and for most of my life have been an avid athelite. In fact I would say I come from an elite athletic background. I stand 5'9 and weigh 220 pounds of which is very solid as far as a BMI ( body mass index) is concerned. If I had to guess I would say I am about 16% bodyfat. I can bench press 405 pounds x2 reps. I can leg press over 1000 pounds for reps and shoulder press 100 pound dumbells for multiple sets with reps ranging from 8-12 reps.

I was the child star athelite and also a track star in high school. When I was 12 years old I ran a 4.8 second 40 yard dash. When I was in highschool as a freshman ( 14 YO) I ran the 100 yard dash in 10.7 seconds. Varsity guys were usually running it not much faster. I could stand flat footed and jump into the back of a full sized pickup truck and max out on the bench press 315 pounds at a weight of 160. I had all the little alpha male traits. I was aggressive, confident, carefree, and had the most insane libido that even my friends couldnt relate to who were the same age.

After high school I dedicated all my energy into bodybuilding. When I graduated at 17 I weighed 175 pounds and within 5 years of training exploded up to 210 pounds of solid muscle. I attached a picture to confirm this. I have never used steroids and have always been accused of using due to the dramatic results I acheived in the weightroom. All through my 20's I felt great until around the age of 29 where I started to see my ability to recover from the workouts had been slightly reduced. I chocked it up to age and figured since most nfl running backs retire around 33-35 that it was just the begginning of age settling in a little bit.

At the age of 29 that is really the last time I can say I really felt good like the kind of good that just comes out of you naturally without any reason at all. When 30 set-in I started to notice I was getting depressed. I tried reading philosophy like Nietzsche to gain a different perspective on things and although it helped it was not the help I trully needed. Fast forward to a year later at 31 and things are escalating. I began to experience crying fits with severe sobbing that would come on very suddenly if I saw something on a movie or song that was reflective or melancholy. I began to feel distant, isoltaed, grumpy; my coworkers noticed I wasnt goofing around and cracking jokes like I used to. I should add that at the time (and I still am) I was living in an apartment all by myself. I began to lose interests in my hobbies and I started to notice my libido going down and erectile strength reductions. I also started having night time anxiety attacks.

In march of last year I woke up one morning and felt absolutely horrible. I had not thought about sex for almost two weeks and I had no energy at all. Surprisingly a woman had come into my life at the time and since it had been years since I had a relationship I figured I would have been feeling like a dog in heat like I normally would have, but I didn't and this was awful because the woman is very attractive. I was dizzy, depressed, and worried I had a terminal illness. Thats how bad I felt. I said to myself "something is wrong with me".

Now I'm the kind of guy who hardly ever goes to the doctor so when I wake up one morning and call into work and decide to have bloodwork taken out of the blue, I am hardly imagining things. I went to a walk in doctor and described my symptoms. I had no significant knowledge about hormone levels previous to this experience but knew that testosterone was crucial for male libido. I asked the doctor to have it checked. I had not had my testosterone checked since I was a boy ( 13) when I developed gynecomastea. I had no idea what a surprise I was in for when the results came back.

My total testosterone was 294 ng/dl and it was taken at 10 am. I asked the lab tech if this was normal even though the ranges were 240-880 ng/dl since mine was very close to the bottom. He said it was. lol.. Notice the doctor didn't also see any sign to provide any followup or consultations. I went online and was shocked to see just how low my numbers were and found that many men with levels higher than mine were receiving hormone replacement therapy. I went to a urologist who agreed that my levels were a "bit low" for a man my age and my sister who was a nurse went with me for support. He asked me if I had ever used steroids. Little did I know this was going to be a battle ahead of me with doctors asking this question. I told him the truth and said no and my sister also chimed in and verfied what an amazing athelite I was in high school and how I was naturally more muscular than most the other boys. etc.. At any length he requested a total T lab, Free T, FSH, and LH. My sister asked the urologist if he thought it was primary or secondary. He said I don't know yet which intimated he also agreed that hypogonadism is clearly showing itself to be an issue here. This time the labs were taken at 8am. The Total T came to a whopping 305 ng/dl, the free T came to an 11.2 on a scale from 10-24 and the FSH and LH were not very much over the entry levels of those labs as well. What was the doctors diagnosis? Well he said everything looks normal in my book. I would be hesitant to put you on testosterone he said.

The next visist was to an endocrinologist and with labs not musch better taken from him which also included SHBG, estradiol, cortisol, and a few others he informed me I was normal also. This time my parents went with me and he asked them to leave the room. When they left the room he asked me if I had ever used steroids before. I'm starting to sound like a broken record here I know but again I told him with the utmost sincerity "no". He asked me to drop my pants so he could feel my testicles so he could confirm no atrophy had occurred. I did so reluctantly because I wanted to tell him how his disbelief in my answers and also my parents attending the appointment to provide genuine support in favor of truth was very unprofessional and unempathetic. First of all most doctors have no idea what that word means or have any knowledge of the emotions necessary to convey it.

I'm currently seeking out the best route for effective treatment to alleviate my low T symptoms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pic22.JPG

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
welcome, u will find that a lot of guys with a ton of knowledge are here! man u were a beast and that was in high school? i would have went to college to play football fo sure!

and cashout is here, might want to try a restart before going the trt route, might save u some years of pinning! (ask cashout, he had a great thread on it over at ology!!)

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome home:) u found the right place and like the brother above said there's a Vet by the name of cash wrote a great thread on ur situation on how to come with a solution, pls feel free to ask ? . Welcome to SI:p

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SI bro. You should start by trying to get your levels back with clomid first. I'll try to find Cashout's post & link it here a bit later.

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SI brother I as well have low T of 209. Always intrested in reading about others problems and solutions

Reaction score
welcome, u will find that a lot of guys with a ton of knowledge are here! man u were a beast and that was in high school? i would have went to college to play football fo sure!

and cashout is here, might want to try a restart before going the trt route, might save u some years of pinning! (ask cashout, he had a great thread on it over at ology!!)

The picture of me seen there was not when I was in High school but after having trained for 5 years straight bodybuilding after high school. I was about 22 when that picture was taken at about 210 pounds. If that had been me in high school I likely would have been put in a lab somewhere to be studied by doctors for extraordinary development..lol..Though now-days there very well may be some kids in high school with just that kind of development.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The picture of me seen there was not when I was in High school but after having trained for 5 years straight bodybuilding after high school. I was about 22 when that picture was taken at about 210 pounds. If that had been me in high school I likely would have been put in a lab somewhere to be studied by doctors for extraordinary development..lol..Though now-days there very well may be some kids in high school with just that kind of development.

what kind of workout(s) were u doing at that time? it all may have lead to over training....

pretty good results after 5 years of dedication!! like df said, u may want to try a clomid restart, before ever even considering this lifelong thing of pinning test!! its a pain in the ass, no pun intended!

but better to be aware of ur options insted of thinking there is only 1!!

gl, u will like the group here!

Spear

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SI brother. I personally don't have much knowledge about TRT but i'm sure many of the guys on this board will help you find the right path to take in order to get what you need.

Thanks for joining.

Reaction score
what kind of workout(s) were u doing at that time? it all may have lead to over training....

pretty good results after 5 years of dedication!! like df said, u may want to try a clomid restart, before ever even considering this lifelong thing of pinning test!! its a pain in the ass, no pun intended!

but better to be aware of ur options insted of thinking there is only 1!!

gl, u will like the group here!

I have actually tried clomid restarts twice and one of those also included nolvadex. The second restart attempt included both nolvadex and clomid after having read about Cashout's hrt restart/ exit strategy. Both times I attempted a restart my total testosterone more than doubled and my free testosterone also rose considerably. The amount of time I stayed on both courses were 4-5 weeks. After cessation of the SERM use though my levels fall back into the areas I have been experiencing problems in. So it would appear I am secondary hypogonadal. I understand that low dose clomid 12.5-50 mg is sometimes used over exogenous T and sometimes HCG is used along with an AI but I have yet to find a doctor who wishes to explore alternative possibilities of treatment besides conventional T delivery systems. I have considered paying out of pocket to go see an expert out of state for a knowledgeable consultation and treatment.

BigFella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome. You sure are in the right place.

I particularly liked the doctor giving your nuts a feel while your parents were out of the room. Arsehole. He might have thought that he could find out something (yeah, right!) but what if your nuts had shrunk? That proves AAS use? Bullshit.

As you have already found, the medical profession is packed full of fuckwits. In that way it's not much different to any other profession, but don't get me started. (Although in my experience the oldest profession is generally pretty good. Anyway, that's off-topic.)

You have a lot if research to do, and you are the only one who can do it. But you have the best brains right here, in this family.

So welcome again.

I reckon your body is crazy. Mine was too, particularly in the libido stakes. (By the way I'm the resident old bastard - I'm 61, and on TRT and catching up on a few lost years.) Similar jock-like status early in life, right up to doing an ironman triathlon off 10 months training when I was 45.

Anyway, until I was 55 maybe I was totally driven by my dick. Had been since puberty. And then it went south in a hurry. Sounds like you've hit the same wall, just a little earlier.

But I can tell you that from my perspective TRT rocks! There is no downside, there is only upside. In a way it is a lot better than natural - I can dial in how I want to feel.

While there is life there is hope, and once you get your T back - natural or exogenous - there will be lots of both.

Libido now? Similar to my teens . . . My wife is enjoying it, but she says she's going to have to hit the gym more often.

EDIT: On re-reading there's no way I was similar to you as a jock. You were a God compared to me! Mate, that is an awesome photo!

BigFella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cashout: You're needed here.

BigFella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
First thing you need done is an MRI on your pituitary. It seems like things have happened far too quickly. Don't want to scare you but you have to eliminate that first.

There has to be a reason why your body has switched from being way higher than normal on T (a guess from your rabbit-like libido and your great body development) to being low-normal.

Is there anything in your lifestyle that might have triggered it? And no, I won't say "Are you really sure you weren't juicing?"

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow bro, it's amazing how similar your story is to mine. After reading it I thought some fucker hacked into my computer and copied my shit. I was a great athlete, put on muscle fairly easy, stron for my size, and had a sex drive that would rival the great Wilt Chamberlain. The only thing differnt from your story is that I had a bad back injury and was on Vicodin for 7 years and Methadone for 2 years and I think it's what caused my T levels to seriously decline. I was just below 200 for my total test and it managed to get back to a little over 300 after being off from the pain meds for a while. That's still low for a 33 year old.

I too lost interest in everything that I loved doing. My sex drive was pretty much gone and I was always irritable, negative, tired and plain out depressed to say the least. My family doc put me no TRT, but I ended up going to an endo anyway. He said that he felt I might get my levels back without any treatment and that I should give it a shot. He did leave the decision up to me however and said he would continue with the treatment if it's what I wanted, but that I would be on it for the rest of my life. I decided to quit and let my levels increase on their own. Well, over a year later I still feel the same shitty way, so I decided to run a cycle and see how it make me feel. I just started a little over a week ago, so the test will take a few more weeks to kick in and I can't wait to see how much of a difference it makes in my life.

I plan to run this cycle and then do a proper PCT and get my bloods done to see where I'm at and if things don't look good, I'll be going back to the endo to get on TRT for good. I would rather take a shot in the ass every week or two than live like I have been for the past few years. All I'm really doing with AAS is trying to find a better quality of life. Sure I want to gain size and look good, but my main goal is to be right mentally and feel like life is good again. Good luck to you bro and welcome to SI.

Reaction score
First thing you need done is an MRI on your pituitary. It seems like things have happened far too quickly. Don't want to scare you but you have to eliminate that first.

There has to be a reason why your body has switched from being way higher than normal on T (a guess from your rabbit-like libido and your great body development) to being low-normal.

Is there anything in your lifestyle that might have triggered it? And no, I won't say "Are you really sure you weren't juicing?"

Thank you everyone for the wonderful welcome here to the board/ family. It really means a great deal to me. I have had so much apathy concerning my issues from physicians that to finally have some empathy from others who understand my situation makes me very grateful. I would show the picture to the physicians and they looked at it and thought immediately that I used AAS. I understand those results are probably a bit on the upper end of what most people could achieve at that age or training length but when you look at it closely I'm just barely showing signs of abs. It's not like I am ripped there it's just I had some pretty decent size and was relatively lean. Nowhere close to being freaky just the kind of look a college running back would have. I think though we can all agree that a guy doesn't build that kind of physique with sub-optimal testosterone levels and that was the proof that we were hoping to show the doctors. However like most people who don't train seriously they see muscle and immediately think AAS because they either haven't achieved those results or because they don't understand what kind of results true dedication can build. I just never had my levels checked at that age. No one back then ever had the foresight to check testosterone levels in younger men like myself because well it wasn't obviously a problem at the time. On the flipside of that coin this should have been the reason to check them for a reference point.We didn't realize that world-wide they are dropping in men by about 1.2% every year and it's not just guys in their 30's. It's becoming a global epidemic.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/health-and-the-environment-testosterone-levels-fall-worldwide/

And yes I have had a pituitary MRI. The results came back clear..

New Threads