One cup of green tea burns five grams of fat

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
One cup of green tea burns five grams of fat

If the calculations that Dutch scientists made are correct, you burn more than 5 grams of fat extra for every cup of green tea you drink, according to a meta-analysis published by Rick Hursel in Obesity Reviews.

Westerners who want to speed up their weight loss have been using green-tea extracts since the 1990s. That's not so surprising: a 200-ml cup of green tea contains 30 mg of caffeine to start with. Caffeine raises the concentration of pep hormones like noradrenalin in your body, and helps cells to react better to the hormones. As a result fat cells release their content faster into the bloodstream and the energy expenditure of the muscles and organs rises.

Green tea also contains catechins, which reinforce the effect of caffeine. Catechins, for example, inhibit the enzyme COMT, which normally breaks down pep hormones. And catechins also activate hormone-sensitive lipase in the cells. This is an enzyme that cuts up fats in free fatty acids. More active hormone-sensitive lipase therefore means more fat burning.

An attractive sounding theory. But does the theory hold water too? This is the question that Hursel wanted to answer in his meta-study.

Hursel collected 39 previously published studies on mixtures of catechins and caffeine. Six of these were suitable for use. The figure below is a summary of the results in those studies.

caffeineteacatechins.jpg

The extent to which green-tea extracts boost the fat burning varies from study to study, Hursel discovered. This is probably because indigenous Europeans, more often than Asians, produce a version of the COMT enzyme that can withstand sabotage by catechins, and Europeans are used as European subjects in many studies. Nevertheless, green-tea extracts boosted energy expenditure in the average studies by about 4.7 percent.

Hursel was even able to calculate how much extra fat your burn if you take a green-tea supplement: every gram of a mixture of caffeine and green-tea catechins boosted the amount of fat burnt daily by 0.02 g. Hursel also calculated that every milligram of pure caffeine boosts fat burning by 0.01 g per day.

A 200-ml cup of green tea contains not only 30 mg caffeine, but also 253 mg catechins. Together that's 283 mg. Times 0.02 is 5.7. Drum roll….

So every cup of green tea you drink boosts your fat burning by 5.7 g. If you drink three cups of green tea every day for a year, that adds up to 6.2 kg fat. And that's about 8 kg of body fat. Now that's worthwhile.

Source:
Obes Rev. 2011 Jul;12(7):e573-81.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go buy the biggest bottle of green tea shit they have at Costco.

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Is there any way to supplement the catechins by themselves to use for example on a eca stack?

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone drink matcha powder? It's supposed to be a concentrated form of green tea, but I'm not sure exactly what the catechin content of it is...

Times Roman

Reaction score
I'm always a little skeptical of statistics such as these. This is the part I am especially wary of:

"So every cup of green tea you drink boosts your fat burning by 5.7 g. If you drink three cups of green tea every day for a year, that adds up to 6.2 kg fat. And that's about 8 kg of body fat. Now that's worthwhile."

Here are some of my thoughts:

Since most of us drink a caffeniated beverage or two during the course of the day, will adding a cup of green tea to what we are already consuming incrementally increase our fat loss by the 5.7g of fat a day?

See, this study does not address the dietary environment of the sample population (subjects) pre study. Does this mean we need to come completely off all caffienated beverages first, and only then when we add a cup of green tea will we observe this effect?

I'm also VERY skeptical of the studies conclusion of what happens when we stack multiple cups of green tea. Does this mean if i drink 5 cups of tea, then i can expect a daily fat loss rate of 28.5g? Each cup of tea beyond the first will also see the 5.7g of fat loss?? This seems to fly in the face of the theory of diminishing marginal returns where one would expect the first cup to yield a fat loss of 5.7g, the second cup to yield less than the first, the third to yield less than the second, and so on.....

just my .02

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I call BS, I drink green tea all day and night have for years I drink it iced in large cups.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ever take the green tea challenge? 2 iced venti green tea's from Starbucks. Down them in under a minute and don't puke. I'm a three time champ.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ever take the green tea challenge? 2 iced venti green tea's from Starbucks. Down them in under a minute and don't puke. I'm a three time champ.

Damn, congrats POB!

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can see the green tea metabolizing fats in the digestive tract. To "burn 5 grams" of stored body fat is a far reach.

Times Roman

Reaction score

You are a better man than I. I'd probably puss out after the second cup of what ever the hell you just said....! =)

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the matcha. I use it twice a day, Iced in a 20oz glass. 1 1/2 tsp each.

Reaction score
Love the green tea !
but i dont think its that effective, but IS effective help for sure.

New Threads