HRT Guys running cycles or "Blasts"

Cashout

Reaction score
In the past few weeks a couple of you have emailed me for help with your cycles or as you called it your "blast phase" of HRT.

I think a few of you may have taken my responses as "personal" and it was not meant to be so.

So, I want to publicly state my opinion on HRT guys running cycles or "blasts."

In 99.9% of the case I will be 100% opposed to it.

My reasons are simple and obvious.

First, most HRT guys are not in very good shape to start with. High body fat, lipid profile issues, blood preasure problems, ED, physical aliments, and all sorts of other issues are all very common among HRT guys. Running a cycle increases the potential for these pre-existing issue to amplify in intensity.

Second, a lot of HRT guys are already on all kinds of other meds for the above noted issues. Mixing in additional AAS is may have a complicating effect.

Next, and most importantly, a lot of HRT guys need serious work on their diet. That is the foundation for everything else including HRT.

Additionally, those HRT guys over the age of 40 are potentially compounding the opportunity for cardiac episodes by running cycles in addition to their prescribed HRT.

At the end of it all, it comes down to risk-to-return. Running cycles is not worth the risk to add a couple of pounds of muscle.

I can say these things having been on both sides of the discussion and spent an enormous amount of time engaged in this area.

Be healthy and wise in your HRT!

Cash

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
x2x on his advice.

it would be one thing for a guy who is on 100mg a wk to goto 200mg, but not 400-500mg. thats just asking for trouble. stay safe, stay healthy#:-S

Onlythebestwilldo

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting cashout. I'm just waiting on blood results (age 28)and endo reckons I'm low on Test. I have never cycled before and have been thinking that if I do test low it was my green card to smash loads more test. You have changed my view on it. Now I'm hoping my levels are ok and then start my 1st AAS cycle.

Having said that I am hoping to find out somethin that I can change to give me a better quality of life.

Is this black and white? I don't have any Blood pressure or body fat issues. Just tired, personality flatline, no spark and little depression from time to time. Shoul d I be fuckin wit AAS's??

Cashout

Reaction score
First and foremost, HRT is about improving one's health.

Too many guys see it as a "green card to smash loads more test" and that is a terribly misguide perspective.

In essence, one is taking the position that they have health issues and their answer will be to load up on test. Not a wise move.

Since you say you have not cycled, I'd ask why would you start now? Obviously, it has not been important enough in the past for you to assume the risks of AAS.

If HRT is prescribed, let that be your remedy toward improving your healthy. Don't complicate things out of the gate by self-administering AAS.

Interesting cashout. I'm just waiting on blood results (age 28)and endo reckons I'm low on Test. I have never cycled before and have been thinking that if I do test low it was my green card to smash loads more test. You have changed my view on it. Now I'm hoping my levels are ok and then start my 1st AAS cycle.

Having said that I am hoping to find out somethin that I can change to give me a better quality of life.

Is this black and white? I don't have any Blood pressure or body fat issues. Just tired, personality flatline, no spark and little depression from time to time. Shoul d I be fuckin wit AAS's??

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I def agree to the above described situation but I believe I fit into that .01% group lol
Have zero health issues other then low T and it was caused by a drug addicted childhood
I have successfully quit drinking and drugs, dropped all my body fat , did 4 years in the marines and work construction actively. So I don't see any other risk in my personal situation that's different from a totally healthy person , and my self having low T

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree, theres no reason to put yourself at risk you are having health issues.

Onlythebestwilldo

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I def agree to the above described situation but I believe I fit into that .01% group lol
Have zero health issues other then low T and it was caused by a drug addicted childhood
I have successfully quit drinking and drugs, dropped all my body fat , did 4 years in the marines and work construction actively. So I don't see any other risk in my personal situation that's different from a totally healthy person , and my self having low T

If I do have low test it was caused by similar issues, 6 year of abusing rec drugs between 17 and 23yo. Generally I'm healthy just in stinking mood most of the time and been very hard to make gains in the gym. I too have seriously cleaned up my act.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cashout as usual you are the voice of reason. I am assuming however that you advise for AAS use is not only for those of us older guys on trt but also younger guys as well. Woud you guidelines be similar that only a very small percentage of younger body builders should cycle as well (like 99.9% are not qualified to cycle nor use AAS due to lack of natural results)?

robot lord

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Speaking solely for myself I believe took my age and health into consideration before beginning HRT. In my late 30s I knew I was over weight and needed to shed the BF. I have been an active guy since highschool and have done my share of weight training and cardio. Like many men I have had periods in my life where I let ditractions slowly pull me away from the healthy lifestyle only to return to what made me feel and look better. When I was younger it was to attract women and the respect of other people. Now married with kids and 40 my head and heart are in this strictly for me. I want to look and feel as young as I can for as long as I can.
With that being said about a year or so prior to HRT I changed up my diet, hit the gym and dropped 30lbs before I even contacted Maximus. Further more to celebrate turning 40 I had a complete physical exam including blood work. Even at my heaviest my blood pressure was always decent but was now really good even for a much younger man. So now with the mental thumbs up I decided it was time to move forward with HRT to address my lower than desired test level. Was it absolutely needed with a 436 test score? No it was not and I will man up and say I wanted more. I started my journey with HRT and decide to at some point run a cycle. I had run a few in my younger days with very little info other than some bro science at the gym. So this time I wanted to do some research and weed through the opinions and find some facts.

Not sure I would call it a cycle but I ran some var along side my HRT for about 10 weeks. Took off a bit amd am now 5 weeks into my first real cycle. I have made some mistakes along the way but have caught them early through blood work and asking questions here at SI. Fortunetly I have made some very good friends here. I stayed away from compounds like tren etc. and opted for more geezer friendly compounds like var, cyp and mast. I also gained the trust of some guys that got me on board with the RIPS. Do I need all this aas or gh? No I do not! Does anyone on this board need AAS? I think not. Do we want to look and feel a certain way? Does AAS and GH get us there? Yes it does when coupled with research,hard work,DIET and some common sense!
Many of us subscribed to the bigger, better, faster more mind set when we younger but with age comes some restraint and a more clear picture of what's more important. We all want to fullfil an idea os self image but let's be real gents. If you are chock full of health issues and the meds to treat them do you really think it's time to throw gas on the fire? No one likes to here no or you are just not healthy enough to withstand the sides of AAS. Ask yourself "Am I ready to kill myself or take off many memorable years with the wife,the kids and even the grand kids from my life. I think my loved ones would rather have me fat,relatively healthy and alive. Most of us weren't greek gods when we met or married our wives anyway(accept cashout LOL!!!). By the way cashout I think of you every damn time I am at Sam's Club. I really liked your diet thread and pics of the items in your cart. My cart now looks much like yours and I can only hope I can look half as good as you bro! PS I would have eaten the wedding cake! LMFAO!!!

Use your head guys or start going over your will with your lawyer. Oh and opt for DNR cause you will just be a bourden!

Cashout

Reaction score
I will not win many friends by writing this but in 27 years of living this lifestyle, I have come to the conclusion that about 85% of the guys that do AAS have no business doing them whatsoever.

Too often I see guys with no discipline, work ethic, commitment, whatever you want to call it, jump on a cycle and think that it is going to magically transform them. They do it on a whim without much thought or consideration for the potential implications because at that moment in their respective lives, getting big seems like a cool idea.

In my opinion, no one should move to AAS until they have begun to approximate their own natural potential through a commitment to diet and training.

For some, this may take longer than others and most never get to this point. Once you get to that point, then you may be ready to take the next step.

At that point, the next step is always risk-to-return evaluation of one's situation.

The big question there is "What do I want to get out of this and what am I willing to risk to get it?"

So, there it is, AAS is serious business in my opinion and I hate seeing guys doing AAS if they going to half-ass it or do it on a whim or without some real commitment and clear purpose to their plan.

Cashout as usual you are the voice of reason. I am assuming however that you advise for AAS use is not only for those of us older guys on trt but also younger guys as well. Woud you guidelines be similar that only a very small percentage of younger body builders should cycle as well (like 99.9% are not qualified to cycle nor use AAS due to lack of natural results)?

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am not on TRT or HRT, I never have been... it would be nice though to have a doctor approved script in case I find myself defending my use of hormones in court. That being said, my self prescribed cruising that started for me at 50 was the best thing I ever did for energy, mood, focus and sex drive. I have been around and in sports and gyms my entire life at all levels. What I have learned is that once you put genetics aside this is the order of importance I believe exists in building a physique that women want to touch and men want to emulate:

1) Diet
2) Hydration
3) Workout Routine and effort applied to it
4) Sleep
5) AAS

AAS is a tremendous aid for recovery and temporary strength gains but is behind diet, hydration, work ethic and routine, sleep/rest in importance in my opinion. TRT and HRT however can do great things to men who have either naturally or for medical reasons have seen a significant decline in their own natural testosterone production.

I am as healthy as a horse so I can only speak for myself. I do agree that if you have existing health issues or are not already fit, working hard and eating right you have no business with anything other than your Dr. Prescribed TRT.

My two cents,
Vette

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
At 39 and 40yrs old, I competed in Masters competition and ended up placing 2nd. I was totally natural until about 3 yrs ago. Now I'm 54, but nobody believes it. I often wonder if it was the time of day ir a false reading that caused me to begin HRT. I would like to try to find out. I've done post cycles before, because clinics who prescribed to me said I needed to cycle. I've had rejuvenation clinics put me on Test, Deca, and Anavar. Other tmes it was just Test.
The most TEST I did was 300/week for 12 weeks. Then I went back to 200

In my opinion, no one should move to AAS until they have begun to approximate their own natural potential through a commitment to diet and training.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh...also, I don't have any health problems other than the fact that I'm on HRT. I've always been serious about diet and training. I eat clean, year-round. I haven't had white flour or white sugar since I was 18 yrs old. I eat mostly fish, fowl, and eggs(all whites/1 yolk).
Although, most protein bars have some sugar. That's probably the most desert-like food I ever eat.

Onlythebestwilldo

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I reckon this forum would be a lonely place if every one fully shared the above opinions.

Cashout

Reaction score
Perhaps but I be inclined to believe that there would many more people in a lot better health and in a lot better shape if they did share those opinions.

I reckon this forum would be a lonely place if every one fully shared the above opinions.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Really? Why? I'm going to try to figure this one out.
I'm just telling my story.
It's not an opinion, it's who I am and what i've been through. I'm also a recovering addict of 26 years. I don't usually disclose that, but It seemed like you needed to hear something negative.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would like to do cycles or blasts. I'm not opposed to it or any one else doing it.
Ronnie Coleman, Schwarzenegger, and Stallone do it. LOL. No biggy. I'm just saying what I've done up 'tiil now. I'm just saying that I believe I laid the foundation he was talking about, before I started taking AAS.
I was also wondering if doing his Plan would be worth it for me to try.
I'm doing 200 Deca and 200 Test right now.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to you (Cashout), I was referring to the person who responded to my post. I just can't believe there are people who think that way.

Cashout

Reaction score
Rip I know to whom you were referring and I think you and I have a very similar perspective on this topic.

The fact is most guys out there don't need AAS but that is not what they want to hear. The truth is not something they welcome.

They want to here other guys tell them "You are g2g - do it man!"

I wasn't referring to you (Cashout), I was referring to the person who responded to my post. I just can't believe there are people who think that way.

New Threads